Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 08:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What happened to Argentina? I remember visiting and thought it looked like Chile in the 90s. It was not what I expected at all. They're like a supermodel who just let themselves go and haven't invested in themselves for quite some time, meanwhile their neighbor went from being a 6 to a 9.5 in a decade.
They were developing rapidly until WW2. Their development stalled post WW2 and they never took off the way they were growing then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,915,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
rom the residential neighborhood standpoints, I found Chile to be much more taken care of, cleaner and more modern than Argentina. I think Chile is one of the more underrated countries just based on its quality of life and its geographic landscape.
Great, another fresh troll joining the circle jerk of Arg bashers! We need more! (Matrix's Mrs. Smith voice)

Of course, i agree with you. Chile is first world and Argentina third

Look at this developed and ultra clean walk in Canad...sorry i mean, Chile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tarIf0zZKI

Versus a walk in this argentine hellhole, it look less developed than the tanzanian town i visited recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLOQB5kGGw

Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Great, another fresh troll joining the circle jerk of Arg bashers! We need more! (Matrix's Mrs. Smith voice)

Versus a walk in this argentine hellhole, it look less developed than the tanzanian town i visited recently.

Sorry buddy but showing two videos, one which shows the better parts of Buenos Aires and other the grimier parts of Santiago, doesn't make your case (plus the streets of Chile were not even that bad). The facts speak for themselves. Chile is a much better place to live right now than Argentina. Seriously your egos as a nation need to be put in check about this. It's getting to be a complex. Chile is not first world and Argentina isn't third world, but Chile is above and beyond where Argentina is right now and I don't see that changing soon until you fix the problems in your own country. As a visitor I loved both countries but Chile was hands down the better nation in terms of development.

Get over it. I am sorry but your feelings don't trump the facts. You guys can be worse than the Peruvians with your anti-Chile bashing which just reeks of jealousy and envy. It's pathetic.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't think Argentina is that bad, but it's not really progressing either. Argentina seems like M. Night Shyamalan, who makes a couple of good movies early on to get everyone excited, and then just slips into mediocrity, living off the fame and the fortune it made at the start of its career
This is probably the most valid opinion about what has happened to Argentina.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 AM

162 posts, read 149,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

Oh, you don't like what I had to say? Too bad, it's reality. I guess you missed the part where I said I would move to Argentina if I were to move to LA. Face the facts, then we can have a conversation. Grow up while you're at it too. Just because no one sees your rose colored Argentina doesn't make them a troll.

Chile is more developed, and it's something I noticed on the ground in multiple areas of both countries. Go bi*** to your government and ask why they haven't invested in Argentina like they should. Do something about it! Troll? You sound upset. It's an internet forum. Again, grow up and we can have real conversation.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:54 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Honestly in terms of development I think Buenos Aires is much better than Santiago, Santiago is too grimy in parts and still has raw infrastructure, whereas Buenos Aires literally wouldn't look out of place in Europe. Buenos Aires even has free wi-fi in many public places which is a welcome sight in Latin America. But Santiago has much better safety, people in Santiago don't feel the same insecurity that people in Buenos Aires feel. In CABA many times people would whisper to me to put my phone away in my pocket when passing through some neighborhoods, in Chile that does not happen

Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Honestly in terms of development I think Buenos Aires is much better than Santiago, Santiago is too grimy in parts and still has raw infrastructure, whereas Buenos Aires literally wouldn't look out of place in Europe. Buenos Aires even has free wi-fi in many public places which is a welcome sight in Latin America. But Santiago has much better safety, people in Santiago don't feel the same insecurity that people in Buenos Aires feel. In CABA many times people would whisper to me to put my phone away in my pocket when passing through some neighborhoods, in Chile that does not happen
I think it's the difference between Paris and a place like New York City or Los Angeles, even London maybe. Buenos Aires is called the Paris of Latin America for a reason. It's a gorgeous blend of LatAm and Europe and is one of the best cities in the Americas. There is no real comparison between a city that has had years to develop and is an epicenter of culture for the entire region. Santiago though can be grimy. It's less Euro, more "American" and is less of a cultural mecca for LatAm. Chileans are more practical as a people and aesthetics tend to come secondary to the economy and what businesses want. They proly rely a lot less on public investment in green spaces, infrastructure, and land use than Argentina does.

Still though I think the videos the guy posted were too bias cus there are a lot of nice places in Santiago.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwBbaUSc2Q

This is a more well rounded video that shows both the good and the bad.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:19 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Fwiw, here is the Quality of Life list by Mercer

78) Montevideo
93) Buenos Aires
94) Santiago
96) Panama City
105) San Jose
106) Brasilia
108) Monterrey
114) Asuncion
117) Rio de Janeiro
121) Sao Paulo
123) Lima
125) Manaus
127) Mexico City
128) Quito
130) Bogota
135) Santo Domingo
152) Guatemala City
156) La Paz
172) Managua
173) San Salvador
185) Caracas
186) Tegucigalpa
191) Havana

Seems like a sketchy list tho. Asuncion ahead of cities like RdJ, Sao Paulo, and Lima? Panama City on th same level as Santiago and Buenos Aires? Why is Montevideo so far ahead of Buenos Aires? The list also claims that Moscow has about the same quality of life as Kampala, Riyadh, and Calcutta, what the actual hell

Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Fwiw, here is the Quality of Life list by Mercer

78) Montevideo
93) Buenos Aires
94) Santiago
96) Panama City
105) San Jose
106) Brasilia
108) Monterrey
114) Asuncion
117) Rio de Janeiro
121) Sao Paulo
123) Lima
125) Manaus
127) Mexico City
128) Quito
130) Bogota
135) Santo Domingo
152) Guatemala City
156) La Paz
172) Managua
173) San Salvador
185) Caracas
186) Tegucigalpa
191) Havana

Seems like a sketchy list tho. Asuncion ahead of cities like RdJ, Sao Paulo, and Lima? Panama City on th same level as Santiago and Buenos Aires? Why is Montevideo so far ahead of Buenos Aires? The list also claims that Moscow has about the same quality of life as Kampala, Riyadh, and Calcutta, what the actual hell
I was under the impression while visiting Chile that Santiago was not appreciated as much by other Chileans as far as quality of living. They found the city too crowded and smoggy. I was told the real quality of life Chile has to offer is found in other more developing cities. Vina Del Mar is considered the prettiest and offers the some of the best quality of life. IDK, how much this is true, it could be the same as people from CA telling me NYC sucks, who'd want to live there.

But Buenos Aires is a great city with an incredible atmosphere. I can see why it's high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas