Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times

Advertisements

Here's a picture I took of one of my favorite Chilean dishes. It is called Cazuela.

However, I think MrPilot gave a really good idea of what Chilean food is like. I absolutely love Chile, and I'm considering trying to get a permanent visa to work here in the mines. However, I was most dissapointed by the food. It is certainly not bad by any means, but I feel it lacks a lot of things that make it unique. In Colombia, they have so many dishes like Bandeja Paisa, Ajiaco, San Cocho etc .. venezuela they have hallacas and pabellon, brasil has feijoada, brigadeiros. Peru has their ceviche and chicha morada. Chile has nice food, but I have felt like a lot of their food is a bit more up scale than the other Latin American countries.

I think Chile is a great place to learn how to make more food that is more on the elegant side though. I guess, honestly I don't know too much about food. I'm not the kind of guy to really like eating a 200 dollar meal in a high class restaurant, I prefer the small mom and pops type places. I might not be able to give you the best outlook on food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeros View Post
Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina are the only good Latin American countries, the rest are terrible with high crime and drugs
Brazil has some of the highest crime rates in the world, no?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Brazil has some of the highest crime rates in the world, no?
lol seriously, Brasil is a lot more dangerous than almost all of the south american countries besides Venezuela.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:05 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
lol seriously, Brasil is a lot more dangerous than almost all of the south american countries besides Venezuela.
Yea and it's well known which is why I'm confused at that post.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,762,796 times
Quote:
Here's a picture I took of one of my favorite Chilean dishes. It is called Cazuela.

However, I think MrPilot gave a really good idea of what Chilean food is like. I absolutely love Chile, and I'm considering trying to get a permanent visa to work here in the mines. However, I was most dissapointed by the food. It is certainly not bad by any means, but I feel it lacks a lot of things that make it unique. In Colombia, they have so many dishes like Bandeja Paisa, Ajiaco, San Cocho etc .. venezuela they have hallacas and pabellon, brasil has feijoada, brigadeiros. Peru has their ceviche and chicha morada. Chile has nice food, but I have felt like a lot of their food is a bit more up scale than the other Latin American countries.

I think Chile is a great place to learn how to make more food that is more on the elegant side though. I guess, honestly I don't know too much about food. I'm not the kind of guy to really like eating a 200 dollar meal in a high class restaurant, I prefer the small mom and pops type places. I might not be able to give you the best outlook on food.
Well that looks pretty good, like homemade comfort food.

I like all types of food, but I prefer mom & pop places. I love street food actually. Some of the best seafood I have ever had has been from street carts. I have had expensive fine dining meals with upper class friends, but it doesn't always impress me so I am not really scoping out for those places.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 18,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
OK, but what is Chile's local cuisine like? That is what I am getting at. Or is it like Costa Rica that doesn't really have many dishes. I've never heard of Chilean dishes, that is why I am asking.
Chile's local cuisine is definitely not good.Most of the quality cuisine you'll find in the urban areas are from foreigner restaurants,specially from Peru.Chile has some interesting things to offer,but 'food' is not one,atleast for me.

Last edited by 666Guy; 03-26-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 18,452 times
Quote:
Yeah, definitely. Although, in my post I was trying to make a comparison between the 'white' tourists when I was talking about it. But you're right, a very large portion of the tourists are from Argentina, especially where I live.

I agree, my girlfriend and I took a trip over to Santiago not too long ago and I found Santiago to be pretty boring. We both agreed to not going back there Then again, we just kind of jumped on a bus and went there, she's from valparaiso so doesn't know much more than I do.
Yeah,I know.But let me tell you something.Colombia receives more money from tourism even when they receives less tourists than Chile...Talk me about class and backpackers now.Hehehe.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Lol. My friend is from Monterrey and her boyfriend studied abroad there to learn Spanish. When he arrived to the university, he said there was a huge group of blondes and he thought 'Great! There are a lot of exchange students here!' Then he realized they were all Mexican and was shocked.

Monterrey is a beautiful city and largely middle class. It is very americanized. There are quite a few cities like this in Mexico though. Some people visit a dingy downtown in one Mexican City and think the whole country is that way. 😕

Also, why would you be surprised that they are proud to be Mexican? That is a strange comment.
Im always amused by "Americans" who are shocked to find White Latinos in Latin America. Oh well, I'm glad they learn at least.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Chile has definitely better food than Peru. Peru has a bit more "bland exotic" food while Chile's would be considered "cuisine".

In Chile you'll find many Peruvian restaurants along with Arabic, Japanese and Thai restaurants. So for a wider range of gastronomy experiences, I'd suggest Chile. Be aware that Santiago is as exotic as Frankfurt or Houston.

Overrated countries for me are Uruguay, mmm that's it for now.
Lacks proper transportation system, Grey and often poorly maintained buildings. Old cars on the street, undefined cuisine etc
Funny you would say that since Peru's cuisine is generally considered to be among the best in Latin America by people in the foodie world. Peru and Mexico are generally considered 1 and 2 not necessarily in that order.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Looks good. Reminds me of a "sancocho" which is common in several Latin cuisines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas