Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM

125 posts, read 268,373 times

Advertisements

So I have heard horror stories about Argentina and Uruguay. Now the people I heard having a great time there have been mainly White Americans who have traveled there but some of my Latino friends tell me that White Latinos are extremely against having tourists which are not White.

I am a South Asian guy (westernised and such), if I had to describe my skin color I would say I am light brown or brown, I mean whatever skin color people from the northern parts of India have. People tell me I look like Kumar from Harold and Kumar, so I guess I look like him them (they say it as a joke).

Thing is I have been to Europe before and had a pretty good time there. Wondering about Latin America now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
i have travelled to a few latin american countries (colombia, dominican republic, and nicaragua) with a black friend of mine and he has always had a great time and much better luck woman-wise. can't comment from personal experience tho, i am a white mexican. if anything i might be at a disadvantage to white americans i tihnk.

not sure how you'd be received as an indian. indians aren't well received tourists anywhere tho, so i wouldn't worry about it. you would prolly be better received than most places.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i have travelled to a few latin american countries (colombia, dominican republic, and nicaragua) with a black friend of mine and he has always had a great time and much better luck woman-wise. can't comment from personal experience tho, i am a white mexican. if anything i might be at a disadvantage to white americans i tihnk.

not sure how you'd be received as an indian. indians aren't well received tourists anywhere tho, so i wouldn't worry about it. you would prolly be better received than most places.
1st bold = ya, I was wondering about that toooooo, especially for Brazil

2nd bold = well if they aren't well received tourists, shouldn't I worry?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

oh yes, and the women are my favorite, but I have heard scary stuff about the treatment of outsiders in argentina, especially "brown people" so that gets me a bit worried and second guessing

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
So I have heard horror stories about Argentina and Uruguay. Now the people I heard having a great time there have been mainly White Americans who have traveled there but some of my Latino friends tell me that White Latinos are extremely against having tourists which are not White.

I am a South Asian guy (westernised and such), if I had to describe my skin color I would say I am light brown or brown, I mean whatever skin color people from the northern parts of India have. People tell me I look like Kumar from Harold and Kumar, so I guess I look like him them (they say it as a joke).

Thing is I have been to Europe before and had a pretty good time there. Wondering about Latin America now.
That's an interesting perception on it.

I'm white....I feel like the whiter you are, the bigger the target you are for crime, attention, and everything else you don't want.

I often wished my skin was a bit darker and my hair darker, so I wouldn't be seen far off as a white gringo atm machine from afar everywhere I go.

Don't give yourself self-hatred for not being gringo white, you'll be glad you aren't, once you get there.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:

Weird.

What horror stories have you heard about non white tourists in Argentina and Uruguay? Im Argentinian and im curious about it.

Can you narrate some of this stories please?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:

You want to go on a vacation, correct? Do not worry about it. You will be fine.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Weird.

What horror stories have you heard about non white tourists in Argentina and Uruguay? Im Argentinian and im curious about it.

Can you narrate some of this stories please?
mainly against brown people and calling them subhuman and such

Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
Quote:

I'm Indian myself, but born and raised in the US and have traveled extensively around Latin America. I have been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina. I lived in Buenos Aires for an entire year. I felt very welcomed in all of those countries. Just as welcomed as I've ever felt in North America or Europe. In Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Southern Brazil, there are those who feel they are superior to the rest of Latin America, but most people are not like that. In general, if you are friendly, open-minded, respectful, and show some effort in speaking Spanish (or Portuguese in Brazil), you will be treated wonderfully. I made some great friends living in Argentina. Also, since Indians are a rare sight in most of Latin America, people often came up to me out of curiosity, asked questions, and invited me into their homes for wine and conversation. All things considered, I find Latin Americans to be among the friendliest people in the world, and that region is on of the most beautiful on Earth. Don't hesitate to visit, it's a great place.

As far as doing well with women, I didn't find it to be much different than in Europe or North America. If anything, I had an advantage because as an American (despite being of Indian descent, people actually ALWAYS knew I was an American just from the way I dressed, my accent when speaking Spanish, my mannerisms, etc), many women assumed I was wealthy.

Last edited by jayp1188; 03-07-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
That's the first I've heard of it. Latin America is so mixed it's odd that you'd experience hatred/prejudice. Not sure about Argentina and Uruguay, maybe they do have chapters of white supremacists there, but then most 'white' countries do. Sure, you could dig up horror stories that took place almost ANYWHERE it doesn't make it common or a real threat.

Now Eastern Europe - especially Russia - is one place which does seem a little dicey. While chances are you will return in one piece, many seem to say that racism is common in Moscow etc. One Eastern European girl told me flat out that most East Europeans are racist so I wonder if there's something in it and if so what. It's not like they're being flooded with immigrants or anything, maybe it's a lot of bored, unemployed youths like England in the 70s and 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas