Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 AM

117 posts, read 241,431 times

Advertisements

I could see your point if this was something that was more widespread, however this is the very first time that I hear something like this ever.

In Mexico, the language spoken at the time of the Spanish arrived to this continent was Nahuatl and it has been spoken in Central Mexico since at least the 7th century AD. It was the language of the Aztecs, who dominated what is now central Mexico during the Late Postclassic period of Mesoamerican chronology. During the preceding century and a half, the expansion and influence of the Aztec Empire had led to the variety spoken by the residents of Tenochtitlan becoming a prestige language in Mesoamerica.

I have however, never heard of a Mexican person saying that their language is Nahuatl and refused to speak Spanish simply because of that fact.

There can be a lot of stereotypes in the US when it comes to Hispanic people as Americans tend to think that most if not all Hispanics are Mexican, when they can be from different countries, however some don't think it is a big deal while others get extremely insulted; same thing happens when Americans visit other countries (They are simply Americans, not Texans, Californians, or even Canadian as they are also Caucasian and speak English)

If Spanish is the language in which your parents brought you up since you were a child, I would say that should be your language and accept it with pride; my question is this; since you really don't consider English your language, are you ever going to go back to your country and learn Nahuatl? What steps have you taken to learn that language?

RedJohn

Last edited by RedJohn; 03-20-2012 at 04:21 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,475,463 times
I don't know why you people are saying Nahuatl disappeared, it's currently the mother tongue of an estimated 1.5 million human beings, probably one of the most healthy native languages in the Americas. It's widely spoken in Mexico, there's thousands of primarily Nahuatl speaking villages all across Mexico, if you want to learn the language I'm sure you can. While the local El Salvador dialect is highly endangered, you could just learn a neighbouring dialect from southern Mexico. Of course, you'd have to move to Mexico to live immersed in this language. Nahuatl speakers are stigmatized and speaking the language is associated with poverty in Mexico, maybe you could learn the language and try to change peoples perceptions of it.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I was born in El Salvador but I refuse to call Spanish My language. It's the language of Spain. Before people from Spain arrived, another language was spoken, Nahuatl was spoken, the name of the country was changed to El Salvador, before it was known Cuscatlan. My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over. I refuse to speak the language that was replaced in the land where I was born, so I have communicate in English. I hate how people assume you speak Spanish just because you're Hispanic. They should realize that not everybody has accepted this as their language.

You must not talk much. Darn.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 AM

202 posts, read 565,559 times
Case full of nuts.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,824,062 times
I don't even want to know the childhood you had to grow up to have a thought process like the one you do now..

Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,792,364 times
Quote:
English is also not my language..
And it is not mine either ... ! The same with Spanish, not mine either !
I am a *brown-face*, and I really hate it when *white* people come up to me and say:
*Spah-neesh ?*
So I come back with *Noh ... Eeng-grease ... !!*

On the other hand, I do not understand why the OP is so upset about his parent's main language ...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM

208 posts, read 704,654 times
And what exactly is the point of this thread? Your language died, no big deal.
So you're blaming Spain for it?

You know who else got colonized by Spain? The Philippines. Did their original language died? Not really. Instead they incorporated Spanish into their language, which is now called Tagalog. But the Philippines has still more than 100 dialects existing. Spoken by millions of people. Cebuano or Bisaya, a dialect almost different from Tagalog & nearly a relative of a Malay-Polynesian, spoken by over 20 million people.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM

771 posts, read 1,388,234 times
Aren't languages dying and evolving as time goes on? I mean Spanish really didn't exist 2,000 years ago, nor did French or English. So did Spanish, French and English kill those previous languages? And didn't those previous languages kill other previous languages?

This is a pretty silly thread.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,146,063 times
Quote:
My parents talk to me in Spanish, I respond back in English. English is also not my language. My language died many years ago after Spain took over.
The angst is strong with this one.

Seriously I get what you are saying, and to an extent you have a point. That part about your parents is pretty far out there though. At some point you have a be a human being and not just a political cause.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,573,603 times
I think the OP should put his/her life effort into reintroducing this ancient language to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas