Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

And this came out two months ago:

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
How can you explain this:

Its not much of a separation, it appears to me that they simply want to be acknowledge for who they are and not what people want for them to be. But I understand why some people want to frame the issue in terms of "dividing people," especially among those that want to continue to oppress mixed race people and their right to identify as mixed. At least that's what it seems like to me.
Sure.

Unlike you I'm born and raised in America, been around mix folks all my life and I don't have to go to youtube where people complain about anything. look for BS you would find BS.

I'm tell you this is generally how this is viewed. Most mix Americans don't feel there being oppressed and they are not being pressure. You seem to not understand how Americans express and identify as mix is generally different from Brazil. Your taking it as Americans don't express there mix. ) ...... In Brazil mix people yes separate themselves you can be a different race from your parents. ) ...... Again this comes from the historical caste system down there which left a legacy. For instance pardo, moreno, mulato, caboclo, pretos, negros, branca not mention amarela, indígena and etc, etc. WTF

Casta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Las castas, This is a famous art work in Mexico it's illustrating the Latin America historical Caste Culture which was way worst, it divide people in all kind of races. Understand below is only black, white, native american people but some how there's 16 x 3 ethnicities coming from just 3 groups. The only place in the US mainland that has done something close to this was French Louisiana.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...inting_all.jpg

In the US mix people are exactly what they are bi-racial they express themselves being mix by identifying with both groups. Being mix give them a cultural pass as both. They pass as white, they pass a black or what ever they are.

You know what look I'm very light skin, very light skin! infact my hair is naturally blonde, brown and black, It's obvious I have mix ancestry no one is pressuring me to consider myself black. And just because I say I'm black doesn't mean I'm not mix your not listening. The problem is your thinking race is exclusive if someone say they there white means there only white or someone black means there only black nooooo.

RACE IS NOT EXCLUSIVE in America, Being mix in America makes you apart of multiple groups not a new group, Terms like Mulatto are generally consider unnecessary and pointless to "key word most" Americans including mix Americans.

In Brazil

1. Black parent + White parent = Mulatto Child

2. Mulatto parent + Black parent = Another Mulatto Child

In America

1, Black parent + White parent = Black & White Child

2, Black & white + Black parent = Black Child part white.
1. Pay attention to how I worded that. Mix people In America pass to be consider all groups there mix with. Again this how Mix people like Soledad O'Brien is a part of the National Association of Black Journalists. At the same time, She was also name Irish American Magazine's Top 100 Irish twice. So saying Soledad O'Brien is black is not a false statement, saying Soledad O'Brien is white is not a false statement.

2. The third American generation is some what like me. In fact it's some what like most black Americans. Were majority black but have partial white Ancestry. If you ask some one at this point what are they, they will tell you there black they may tell you they are part something else. But because of this unbalance they will tell there mainly black.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
And this came out two months ago:

Obama is the 44th white president but there nothing special about that is? Obama is the first black president. But which one you think is going to be point out more? just take a guess.........

Again races is not exclusive he's white, and he's black at the same time. Then your being contradictory in this case, here's a quote from yourself.. "They simply want to be acknowledge for who they are and not what people want for them to be" ........ But Obama call him selves black, which is not a false statement.

Obama is not running around saying call me mix only. People know he's mix.. he know he's mix... mix means both groups hence bi-racial.. in which means he's black also...

And people aren't stupid... America know he's mom is white just like we know his dad is from Kenya. His full white sister was just at the Democratic Convection. But I understand some people who historical divide people under a caste to put mix people in just a box, when they should be consider and pass for all groups.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

That's the thing people are not force, Americans don't want to be separated in a new group.

Yet you call "latinos" the Hispanic Americans, you don't call them "black" or "white".

Remember we are all "latinos" here in Brazil...

Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
For those who want to "force" Brazilian Pardos to identify themselves as "black", here goes a very simple question...

Those are members of a Brazilian indigenous tribe:

source: 1º ENCONTRO DE DEFICIENTES INDIGENA PATAXÓ HÃ HÃ HÃE | Índios Online

Should they be forced to identify themselves as "African Brazilian" or "black"?

They are INDIGENOUS people.

And most Brazilians have a lot of indigenous ancestry, so the skin color of the Brazilian Pardos can not be exclusively attributed to African heritage.

So, why Pardos "must" identify themselves as "African Brazilians" or "blacks"?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Yet you call "latinos" the Hispanic Americans, you don't call them "black" or "white".

Remember we are all "latinos" here in Brazil...
That category was created only about 30 years ago and it is not a racial category, but an ethnic category. There is a difference.

Also, the categorization and socio-historical aspects of race will vary by the European influence and social history involved. In the US, the reason why people of mixed African descent are viewed as Black here is due to the fact that many were enslaved due to being people of African descent and were segregated during Jim Crow. That's why the term "Colored" was used during segregation and the case that brought about segregation, (Plessy v. Ferguson) involved a man(Plessy) that was
an eighth Black that was discriminated against. Homer Plessy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, there is a historical component to this and the only difference between the two are the numerous categories in Brazil. Besides that and a few other small things, there isn't that much difference.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That category was created only about 30 years ago and it is not a racial category, but an ethnic category. There is a difference.

Also, the categorization and socio-historical aspects of race will vary by the European influence and social history involved. In the US, the reason why people of mixed African descent are viewed as Black here is due to the fact that many were enslaved due to being people of African descent and were segregated during Jim Crow. That's why the term "Colored" was used during segregation and the case that brought about segregation, (Plessy v. Ferguson) involved a man(Plessy) that was
an eighth Black that was discriminated against. Homer Plessy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, there is a historical component to this and the only difference between the two are the numerous categories in Brazil. Besides that and a few other small things, there isn't that much difference.
This is interesting though it seems in Brazil they have a very inaccurate view on how race works in America and Why it is, the way it is.

Actually you right about that Mulatto = black & White. In the US we just don't use all those extra category names. Only someone mulatto "in their terms" can pass as black & white in the US. On the US Census there's no mulatto but you can check both black and white. Mix people pass as Black and white though culturally it's more often for them to pass as black. This doesn't mean there not mix, this means they are accepted to be called black or white also.

Your right also about the larger African American pop and why we are on average 70% and up black. As I said this is a little different case from the more balanced and younger generation of mix people. While some slave holder care for their children most did not. Most disclaimed, slaved them and even sold them away. And after slavery these mix people went though the same struggle under jim crow laws. It's deep when even your mix ancestors were consider Black. Many blacks feel disconnected to white American heritage at same time fully related as having black American heritage. Then add the fact of being majority black anyways. This was why the US has 40 million Blacks.

Partus sequitur ventrem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The change also gave cover to the power relationships by which white planters, their sons and/or overseers took advantage of enslaved women. Their illegitimate mixed-race children were "confined" to slave quarters unless fathers took specific legal actions on their behalf. The new law in 1662 meant that white fathers were no longer required to legally acknowledge, support, or emancipate their illegitimate children by slave women. Men could sell their issue or put them to work.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
For those who want to "force" Brazilian Pardos to identify themselves as "black", here goes a very simple question...

Those are members of a Brazilian indigenous tribe:

source: 1º ENCONTRO DE DEFICIENTES INDIGENA PATAXÓ HÃ HÃ HÃE | Índios Online

Should they be forced to identify themselves as "African Brazilian" or "black"?

They are INDIGENOUS people.

And most Brazilians have a lot of indigenous ancestry, so the skin color of the Brazilian Pardos can not be exclusively attributed to African heritage.

So, why Pardos "must" identify themselves as "African Brazilians" or "blacks"?
First off no one wants force Brazilians to identify as anything down there relax, but up here it's going to be translate in Americans terms. 2nd I would hope people are identifying as there background if they are part black they should identify as such if not then no. 3rd I told you color doesn't matter ancestry matter looking black don't make you black.

Which rise another thing are mix people from all backgrounds no matter what that is.. are they all being under the term "Pardo" brown? like wise is Black + Asian = Pardo and White + Native American = Also Pardo. In Brazil?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Sure.

Unlike you I'm born and raised in America, been around mix folks all my life and I don't have to go to youtube where people complain about anything. look for BS you would find BS.
This is news to me. I guess my birth certificate and my childhood experiences, plus graduating from one of the most ethnically diverse high schools anywhere and having friends from a wide range of racial and cultural backgrounds -plus dating quite a few wonderful women from various backgrounds, mixed race and blacks among them-, means nothing then.

That's the problem with assuming things...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
This is news to me. I guess my birth certificate and my childhood experiences, plus graduating from one of the most ethnically diverse high schools anywhere and having friends from a wide range of racial and cultural backgrounds -plus dating quite a few wonderful women from various backgrounds, mixed race and blacks among them-, means nothing then.
That's the problem with assuming things...

Yes I was assuming you were not American because what your saying is that beyond ridiculous.

First. off I'm actually a light black person with obvious mix ancestry so your preaching to the choir.

2nd. There's no mulatto, but You can mark or check two box on the US census both white and Black boxes. So now there crying over nothing.
3rd. Do you believe I just been around just Black people my whole life or something? Hell just the other day I was at my little cousin birthday party. My cousin his mom had 4 girlfriends 2 white women, and 2 black women that all have mix kids. In total their were 6 mix kids there. But hack I have nearly had a mix or 2 classmate in all 13 grade levels growing up. I had a crush on a mix chick back in high school but we just became close friends. And last I have a few mix cousins Austin, Chicago and Atlanta. Rofl I have a home girl a mix stripper call Italy no comment.
The fail thing your argument don't even counter mines, Your argument is we don't Acknowledge mix people. ) I telling you mix people are passing to be black and white and that pass only come by for being mix. Mix means bi-racial and etc. See you have to straw that race is exclusive, someone Mix calling themselves black at a moment doesn't mean there just black that's the straw man. Mix people are like cultural and heitage shape shifter, They celebrate it all being black, white or what ever they don't wait for to be separated.

Obama jokes and call him selves mutt for being mix and it's the silliest thing to suggest Americans don't know he mix but he also call him selves black. Why? because he can pass to do so. Apparently you have a problem with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas