Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Esp. compared with North America?

Would it depend on the country? I.e. most likely in countries like Brazil, Venezuela, and least likely in Argentina, Uruguay? Since those two countries are mostly mixed anyway so IR dating is the 'norm' rather than the exception.

Would most be open to dating say a man of Asian ancestry?

Last edited by Trimac20; 06-21-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,157 times
LOL! I swear, we're gonna have one of these in EVERY world subforum!

But seriously, it really depends on who you are, in what country, and in what area of the country. I know that's not the easy answer you wanted but...

For example, when I was on the Caribbean Side of Costa Rica, where there is a pretty big and growing black presence, I wasn't seen as particularly exotic, and the white Costaricans had no hang-ups about race. They just kind of went with whomever they wanted. Not in a sex-crazed way, it just didn't really matte, at least to the youth. In San Jose, where the people are white and there is very little racial diversity, I was seen as more exotic, and women/men approached and looked at me in a more "primal" way. I can't explain it, but there's a "way" some people look at black men (due to the rumors of sexual prowess, etc.) that is just animalistic...Kinda hot, tbh!

When I was in Panama City, where most people are mulatto/black, I didn't stand out at all, except for height, so I was not approached or checked out, at least not like San Jose.

From what I understand of Argentina, you'll have an uphill battle if you look "indigenous." If you're black, you will get the typical thing: The Animal Stare, thrown in with the racists. If you're Asian, I wouldn't know, though I know that many Argentines view the Chinese in an increasingly negative light.

Brazil is an absolute crapshoot. You'll have to be specific about where you're from, who you are, and where you're going.

What I CAN say is that if you're white, you shouldn't have too trouble anywhere, but more so because people want to snag a rich gringo everywhere. Watch out for those...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM

I'm of Asian ancestry, specifically SE Asian with some Chinese ancestry. I might teach English in Ecuador, and although dating is not a priority, I wouldn't say if anything happened. I'm not really into just picking up or having one night stands btw.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Without wanting to seem too ignorant, SE Asians tend be darker than "stereotypical" asians. Notwithstanding your Chinese ancestry, people may think that you're "indio" (indigenous) if you were just walking down the street (although, Ecuadorians are pretty short, at least by US standards, so if you're "American tall" you'll stick out.

Unlike some other L American countries, there is no hangups against indigenous people. I honestly don't know of any anecdotes about the Asian experience is Ecuador, though...sorry!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Without wanting to seem too ignorant, SE Asians tend be darker than "stereotypical" asians. Notwithstanding your Chinese ancestry, people may think that you're "indio" (indigenous) if you were just walking down the street (although, Ecuadorians are pretty short, at least by US standards, so if you're "American tall" you'll stick out.

Unlike some other L American countries, there is no hangups against indigenous people. I honestly don't know of any anecdotes about the Asian experience is Ecuador, though...sorry!
Yes I actually felt tall in LA, compared to a lot of Hispanics!

I've been told I look everything from Japanese to Cambodian, haha. I tan easily but am not too dark, probably similar to the average Latino or Latin American person? Or even a bit lighter.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Well, the "typical" latino is as typical as a "typical" American- there really isn't one. If you tan easily, then you will brown up in Ecuador for sure, and if you look Cambodian when you tan, you can very easily pass for indio.

Again, the deciding factor for why you aren't is your height. Latin Americans are universally short (to me anyway, 5 foot 9 inches and shorter is short for a guy).

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Well, the "typical" latino is as typical as a "typical" American- there really isn't one. If you tan easily, then you will brown up in Ecuador for sure, and if you look Cambodian when you tan, you can very easily pass for indio.

Again, the deciding factor for why you aren't is your height. Latin Americans are universally short (to me anyway, 5 foot 9 inches and shorter is short for a guy).
Yes I'm quite dark living here in sunny Perth, but if lived in Quito that's pretty high up so more sun exposure.

I'm about 5'9", so I don't think height would hold me back there.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Esp. compared with North America?

Would it depend on the country? I.e. most likely in countries like Brazil, Venezuela, and least likely in Argentina, Uruguay? Since those two countries are mostly mixed anyway so IR dating is the 'norm' rather than the exception.

Would most be open to dating say a man of Asian ancestry?
When I was down in Sao Paulo, I had a good Korean-American friend of mine down to visit. He had a great time. He ended up hooking up regularly with a Korean-Brazilian girl though. But prior to that, he seemed to be having a lot of fun dating.

I don't know about the dating scene for Asians in Peru, but I met some Japanese peruvians, and they seem pretty integrated. Actually the ones I met seemed to come from a lot of money. Don't know if that's typical. Speaking of Peru, I just saw on the news that Korean Pop music is amazingly popular in Peru. Recent news story just yesterday about how the girls were loving the look of the Korean pop stars, etc.

Regarding North America. That's another tough nut to crack. When I was out on the West Coast, it seemed that plenty of women just preferred Asian guys. But over on the East Coast, I can't recall ever meeting a woman who had a thing for Asian guys.

Just to project personal experiences comparing North America vs South America with interracial dating. I'm a white guy. I loved living and dating in Brazil especially, as I liked all the colors. I also like the Latinas as well, all types. But when I went back to the U.S., I found that Latina women generally didn't want anything to do with white guys, at least not on the East Coast. They wanted latino guys. Brazilian women seemed to always get the cream of the crop in the U.S., so were super picky and quickly taken.

That being said, it seems the West Coast of the U.S., everyone dates everyone out there.

To sum up to the original question. I found that Latina women probably preferred Latino men (as that seemed to be their preference when they moved to the U.S.). But, if they were in Latin America, they seemed to date anyone who had more money than them. Not uncommon to see 40 year Latino men dating very young 20-something women in Latin America. Basically because of the financial advantages they offer, etc. Whites are almost always assumed to have more money, regardless if they do or not, so had a certain advantage there. In short, there was definitely an economic thing happening. I'd assume that any Asian guy traveling around South America, would equally be assumed to have some kind of money to be able to travel around like that. So would probably take on many of the same advantages as a regular Aussie, etc.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,612 times
In Cuba, most women that approach foreigners are hookers.

Approaching foreigners is illegal and normal women are scared. They can be fined and jailed. Women approaching foreigners know local police, bribe police, have friends among police, are police confidents or are related with the police......or they are just normal women out of the "tourist circuit" that can approach a foreigner because in that particular area there are no tourism and no police, or local police are relatives and perceive a fee.

Race is inconsequential if the tourist has hard currency, but whites are preferred anytime. Latins have bad reputation, they are believed to beat women. Chinese/Asian.......well, most Asians are from "communist" countries and I don't think (I don't know) if they w.**** around. Never seen any in a "fun" place or with a local woman.

Among Cuban "middle class" (the "new class") or top shots, people frequent any race of women but marry their own race, generally white in this class. Interracial marriage is extremely rare among people with some resources or peasants, and common among poor and destitute people living in "favelas".

Last edited by cojoncillo; 06-22-2012 at 04:22 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I'm quite dark living here in sunny Perth, but if lived in Quito that's pretty high up so more sun exposure.

I'm about 5'9", so I don't think height would hold me back there.
Yeah, it shouldn't. Keep us updated! I am very interested in hearing the experiences of someone of Asian descent in South America

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas