Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
You are making your posts based on novelas? Haha

Imagine if I make my posts about the usa women based on hollywood movies!!
Many people make that mistake. Usually -that's the keyword- its people that have never been to the country they're talking about.

I don't know if that's the case with DiginnWonder, but he/she hasn't mentioned that he/she has been to Mexico. Someone that had been there and was having that conversation with you, would had said that by now.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post

Essentially, the Casta system that Spain touted throughout the world made a racial hierarchy institutional, while the UK/America's "one-drop rule" made racial separation institutional. This, mixed with how expendable slaves were in L America made for a perfect storm of self-hate.

Latin America has a serious race problem. It's funny how at first glance, you would think the US got it wrong, but history has proven otherwise.
So true. I've been saying this for a long time now about how the Spanish colonies were just as "race conscious" if not more than the English colonies. So much hypocrisy when it comes to that!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Another point that hasn't been mentioned much is that many African Americans have a tremendous resentment towards white people.
This goes both ways... Whites resent Blacks... and Blacks resent Whites... Don't try to make sit seem like it is one-sided. If anything the white resentment is stronger.

Just do a google search on White Power...

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
This goes both ways... Whites resent Blacks... and Blacks resent Whites... Don't try to make sit seem like it is one-sided. If anything the white resentment is stronger.

Just do a google search on White Power...
Sure.

I have yet to see as much racial resentment in any Latin American country as in the USA. The US is just too race-focused, IMO.

Look at the surge of not only White Power movements, but also Panafricanism and other Black Power movements. Notice how each race in the US is suppose to have its own culture and their own way of acting, that is a very racist way of seeing things. In most other countries, especially in Latin America, everyone is expected to have one culture, not broken down along racial lines. Only in societies where race is of paramount importance would breaking down cultures along racial line occur, IMO.

In fact, most of those actions are mostly a USA thing, at least from what I can tell.

Americans also have a habit of seeing race in everything, which I think is due to the inherent racism that still permeates much of American society, despite all the improvements. Here's an interesting example: http://bigthink.com/Mind-Matters/why...see-no-problem

Latin America tends to be more along the French line of thinking, meaning that culture is the most important aspect of a person's identity. Unfortunately, for many Americans, race is the most important and defining attribute in the formation of a person's identity.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Another point that hasn't been mentioned much is that many African Americans have a tremendous resentment towards white people. More than anywhere else, from the looks of things.
Statistics prove otherwise.

Interracial marriage gaining acceptance

Interracial marriages at record 8.4% - USATODAY.com

1 in 12 US Marriages Now Interracial | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Quote:
I remember when the first lady, Michelle Obama, said that the first time she ever felt proud of her country was when her husband won the presidency. I was like, WTF? As if there's nothing else in the past to make any American proud?
Even though I am a proud American I can understand why she would say that. Many Black Americans felt a new sense of American pride when Barrack Obama was elected because even though the US believed and preached that anyone could achieve the American dream, African Americans have always felt that they were in a way excluded or push to the side from having the ability to achieve the true America dream. Many African Americans felt like even though they could be successful in America there was still barriers that Blacks could not pass. Having the 1st Black President elected shattered that mentality for a lot African Americans and gave definitive prove that America had really come a long way in race relations and fairer opportunities. Barrack Obama has given hope to many young Black Americans that you can do anything in this country if you set your mind to it. A lot of African Americans felt a new sense of American pride when Barrack Obama was elected in 2008 because many Blacks felt that many of the racial barriers were lifted and they felt like genuine Americans and could no longer be push to the side in American society.

Quote:
I have even met quite a few African Americans that told me the reason they have such a affinity for (insert an African country here), is because white people don't rule those places.
Most Black Americans look at Africa from a symbolic or romantic viewpoint. It just a way of trying to have some sort of a culture connection to their ancestral homeland that was lost during slavery. I wouldn't get to bent of shape about it when you hear that sort of talk from African Americans.

Quote:
I also remember one time I was passing through Harlem on my way to the Upper East Side, while I waited for a red light to turn green, I overheard the conversation of a couple of black men in the van next to my car. They were loud and saying things like "why are all these f*ck white *ssh*les movin' here for" and "d*mn cr*ck*rs" and a bunch of other vulgar words and sayings. All of that happened after a white couple crossed the street in front of us while surrounded by perhaps hundreds of African Americans crossing the same street. Of course, Harlem is currently going through some changes, similar to what happened when it was a Jewish neighborhood and started to become predominantly African American.
Gentrification can be a B**th!

Quote:
And I have been told by a handful of African Americans that they can't wait until white Americans become a minority. That they will get a taste of their own medicine and things like that.
Personally I think we hear that a lot more from the Hispanic/Latino American communities.

Quote:
Major resentment issues and I think this also spills towards mixed race people, which is probably why so many African Americans support the ODR and why so many talk about slavery as if it was the other day when it has been over a century since it ended.
I actually think Black Americans are probably the most acceptable to mixed-race people than any other racial group. Black Americans tend to see mixed race people(Black and whatever racial mix) as being part of the same race as them, which in turn creates less racial tension when compared to race relations between mixed-race people and other racial groups.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Hey gwillyfromphilly, I remember you from that other conversation we had.

Tell me, have you finally visited any Latin American country yet?

BTW, we don't need to repeat the same debate again. Let me know if you want for me to bring the link of the original one.

BTW, of all the mixed-race-relationships, the white-black mix is the least frequent and that's where the most racial tension has existed in the US since the days of segregation. That I find rather interesting. Things are changing. The US is now, finally, becoming more like Cuba, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Venezuela and other Latin American countries where race mixing has not risen eyebrows for centuries. However, that the US took this long is telling.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Hey gwillyfromphilly, I remember you from that other conversation we had.

Tell me, have you finally visited any Latin American country yet?

BTW, we don't need to repeat the same debate again. Let me know if you want for me to bring the link of the original one.
This Guy!
When did I ever say I had never been to a Latin American country. It seems like your trying to put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Please don't bring up those old debate posts. You would probably just embarrass yourself again as you were clearly owned in that debate. lol.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 06-26-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This Guy!
When did I ever say I had never been to a Latin American country. It seems like your trying to put words in my mouth.

Please don't bring those old debate post. You probably just embarrass yourself as you were clearly owned in that debate. lol.
LOL

//www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...y-mixed-8.html

I repeat: have you finally visited any Latin American country yet?

---------------------------

It seems some people don't want mixed race Americans to reaffirm their mixed reality and this motivates so many of them to attack those countries where not only do mixed race people tend to be a majority, but accepting themselves as mixed is not a big deal. The problem is not in Latin America, but rather in the US. It is wrong that mixed race people can't consider themselves mixed, without being one-dropped by someone. It doesn't goes with their mixed reality.

I'll quote a message that was sent to me via Private Message but I will not reveal the City-Data member that sent it to me. This was in response to the debate in the other thread I linked here:

Message #1:
Quote:
I was just perusing through the world forum when I cam across this exchange you had with a poster who certainly has a peculiar ideology.

I have a few things I would like to discuss with you if you don't mind.
Message #2:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84
Sure.
Thanks for responding.

I'm impressed by the way you handled yourself against the poster who was clearly an afrocentric:

Quote:
Yes I have, but apparently you haven’t and it shows. I’ve been to Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, and last November I was in Dominican Republic. I even posted some pictures of my trip to the Dominican Republic here in the forums. All of my trips have been from between 3 weeks to just over a month. I have also dated many Latino women and have wonderful friends from many countries south of the border, have been accepted by wonderful Latino families and have had more than my fair share of opportunity to discuss and study this issue; of all races and mixtures.

The problem here is that you are talking about something you know little about, and based on that limited knowledge, you’re trying to impose some sort of racial agenda and it shows.

Travel to the region. Once you start doing that, your views will definitely change and we can continue with this debate. I can’t continue to debate this with someone that hasn’t even been to a single country in Latin America and yet, wants to be an expert on its matters. LOL
Well, I have a strong interest in northern African history, including the relationship this region has had with the Iberian peninsula over the millenia.

The problem is in the US, a lot of current research that is being done in the Romance speaking world has not made much headway in Anglophone America.

Not to mention that highly polarizing and divisive groups, like the afrocentrics, who have absolutely no interest in history, do everything they can to disrupt cross cultural understanding and communication.

I take it that you are somewhat competent in Spanish, so if you have the time and inclination, would it be alright if I asked for help in translating and understanding some Spanish language historical material?
There are other messages, but I think with these two I made my point.

And yes gwillyfromphilly, I'm dying of embarrassment. The amount of reputation points I have received is so great, that it can only give me reasons to be embarrassed. LOL

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-26-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
LOL

//www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...y-mixed-8.html

I repeat: have you finally visited any Latin American country yet?

---------------------------

It seems some people don't want mixed race Americans to reaffirm their mixed reality and this motivates so many of them to attack those countries where not only do mixed race people tend to be a majority, but accepting themselves as mixed is not a big deal. The problem is not in Latin America, but rather in the US. It is wrong that mixed race people can't consider themselves mixed, without being one-dropped by someone. It doesn't goes with their mixed reality.

I'll quote a message that was sent to me via Private Message but I will not reveal the City-Data member that sent it to me. This was in response to the debate in the other thread I linked here:

Message #1:
Message #2:
There are other messages, but I think with these two I made my point.

And yes gwillyfromphilly, I'm dying of embarrassment. The amount of reputation points I have received is so great, that it can only give me reasons to be embarrassed. LOL
I could talk about the rep points and personal comments I got from that debate also but who cares. On a side note I would love to know who was that poster who strongly and unapologetically labeled me a "Afrocentrist" and didn't even have the guts to message me about it him/herself. That being said you were clearly owned in that debate and you and I both know that but lets try to move on from that and stay focused with this topic, show we.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 06-26-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I could talk about the rep points and personal comments I got from the debate also but who cares. You were owned in that debate and you and I both know that but lets try to move on from that and stay focused with this topic, show we.
Oh sure, just how you can talk about your trips to Latin America, but that would had been obvious in your debates, which don't really coincide with reality. Got it.

But, you're right, this thread is about this thread, not the other one, even though they are both kind of related. But if you want to talk about the other one, let me know since I don't dodge threads or questions.

So, let's return to this thread focused on a Latin American country:

Have you finally visited any Latin American country yet?

I'll add a twist to the hardest question to receive an answer on C-D: Have you visited Brazil?

It can't be too hard.

I should had mentioned you in this post too: //www.city-data.com/forum/24911634-post31.html

BTW, nice profile pic you got on Youtube. It probably explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas