Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about Panama from Americans as a slightly more cosmopolitan, economically vibrant Costa Rica with good beaches and expansive rainforests. But, who knows, living there over the long-term might lessen the glow. But it sounds like it might be worth checking out.

36 Hours in Panama City, Panama - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Quote:
I've heard good things about Panama from Americans as a slightly more cosmopolitan, economically vibrant Costa Rica with good beaches and expansive rainforests. But, who knows, living there over the long-term might lessen the glow. But it sounds like it might be worth checking out.
My friend just got back from Panama. He told me an impressive skyline is going up in Panama City. It is looking like Miami now. There is even talk of it becoming the "Singapore of Central America." Now I know...it has a lot of work to do before they become developed. But give it time...so if any country in Central America becomes developed in 40 or 50 years, it will be Panama.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Chile is the most american (as USA) like country in SA.

But Argentina and Brasil are much more fun.

But, USA like....go for Chile.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 PM

195 posts, read 441,051 times
Now this is one of those freak threads.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

Argentina: it's a tough one. Yeah, prices are cheaper, wine is fantastic, food is pretty good, people are pretty good looking... but everything... everything... is pretty... subpar, if you will. Electricity, water, gas, basic services.... on the surface u would never guess it to be a third world country, but as you spend time there, it becomes crystal clear why they deserve that classification.

Source: Someone who has travelled extensively through all of south america except Paraguay, Guayana, Suriname, and French Guiana.
I'm curious about this comment. What is it that you found subpar? I've been to places like India, China, and Mexico. I would consider India way down this list compared to the other two. China and Mexico both very greatly, with parts being as modern as any big city in a highly developed nation, to abject poverty with deplorable conditions. How would Chile and Argentina compare with say China or even the bigger cities in Mexico? I've heard complaints about the stability of the electrical grids in some parts of South America, but I though that was mostly in the north. My co-worked is from Chile, he said it was very comparable to the US, though he did mention gas and heat costs were much higher.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,363 times
Researching Central America, came across info on El Salvador. Now it has serious poverty, but there are pockets of prosperity and pretty much every American fast food chain is there. I can't remember the name, but a suburb of the capital San Salvador, where the U.S. embassy is located, has an average family income of over $60k. And pretty much everything you'd find in the States. Instead of looking for an entire country consider looking for prosperous suburbs of major cities. And don't forget Mexico. I've seen pics of commercial areas of cities like Morelia and Chihuahua City that look just like a prosperous American city. Mexico is the world's 11th largest economy. I think you may be missing out on much of what's good about various countries though. I'll most likely end up in Oaxaca City, Mexico not because they've got modern shopping, movie theaters, etc(which is a nice plus) but because of a very beautiful, historic, colonial centro, with great weather, food, and culture. The colonial legacy of both Spain and Portugal make for a fascinating atmosphere to live in.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm curious about this comment. What is it that you found subpar? I've been to places like India, China, and Mexico. I would consider India way down this list compared to the other two. China and Mexico both very greatly, with parts being as modern as any big city in a highly developed nation, to abject poverty with deplorable conditions. How would Chile and Argentina compare with say China or even the bigger cities in Mexico? I've heard complaints about the stability of the electrical grids in some parts of South America, but I though that was mostly in the north. My co-worked is from Chile, he said it was very comparable to the US, though he did mention gas and heat costs were much higher.
Your co-worker is Chilean and as such is going to give great accolades to his country... and they do deserve it. They've come a long way and their country is probably the safest in Latin America, but they still have a ways to go on a lot of things... more on that later...

As far as Argentina and subpar services: I wasn't comparing it to China or Mexico, I was comparing it to developed countries. That being said, both China and Mexico are eager to modernize, and there is a push to privatize government owned businesses in both countries to make it more efficient. Argentines are content with extremely inefficient state-owned monopolies.

It's hard to pinpoint, so I'll just give a couple of examples.
  • In Mexico, or even places like Honduras, a 5 star hotel would be a gorgeous building, and include all the works; people would be waiting on you hand and foot with a smile, all TV channels imaginable and with great amenities. In Argentina, a "5 star hotel" will include beligerent and extremely unhelpful concierge service, itchy sheets, questionable heating/cooling systems, a breakfast that makes u run to the closest panaderia, and 3 local Argentinian TV channels.
  • In China, to do business you have to just bribe one local official who takes care of the rest. In Argentina, from many of the enterepreneurs I met in South America, you not only have to pay extremely high taxes (what are they actually spent on?), but you also have to bribe a slew of people, and god forbid you live in a neighborhood where 'protection' money is needed.
  • In India, you have access to a highly educated, highly skilled, hard working population that works for competitive wages. In Argentina, you have a very low-skilled, somewhat educated, but not horribly efficient population that demands 1st world wages and demands to work European style hours.
  • Customer service in Argentina is probably the worst I've experienced anywhere (and I've been to the former soviet countries!)
  • The whole time I was in Argentina, every person I met... it just felt like everyone lives beyong their means to put up this image.
I know I make a lot of sweeping generalizations here, but this is what I've observed on my many trips to Argentina. I love Argentinian food, and do love their version of Spanish (who doesn't?), and its a beautiful country, but it's definitely a 3rd world country.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
As far as Argentina and subpar services: I wasn't comparing it to China or Mexico, I was comparing it to developed countries. That being said, both China and Mexico are eager to modernize, and there is a push to privatize government owned businesses in both countries to make it more efficient. Argentines are content with extremely inefficient state-owned monopolies.

It's hard to pinpoint, so I'll just give a couple of examples.
  • In Mexico, or even places like Honduras, a 5 star hotel would be a gorgeous building, and include all the works; people would be waiting on you hand and foot with a smile, all TV channels imaginable and with great amenities. In Argentina, a "5 star hotel" will include beligerent and extremely unhelpful concierge service, itchy sheets, questionable heating/cooling systems, a breakfast that makes u run to the closest panaderia, and 3 local Argentinian TV channels.
  • In China, to do business you have to just bribe one local official who takes care of the rest. In Argentina, from many of the enterepreneurs I met in South America, you not only have to pay extremely high taxes (what are they actually spent on?), but you also have to bribe a slew of people, and god forbid you live in a neighborhood where 'protection' money is needed.
  • In India, you have access to a highly educated, highly skilled, hard working population that works for competitive wages. In Argentina, you have a very low-skilled, somewhat educated, but not horribly efficient population that demands 1st world wages and demands to work European style hours.
  • Customer service in Argentina is probably the worst I've experienced anywhere (and I've been to the former soviet countries!)
  • The whole time I was in Argentina, every person I met... it just felt like everyone lives beyong their means to put up this image.
I know I make a lot of sweeping generalizations here, but this is what I've observed on my many trips to Argentina. I love Argentinian food, and do love their version of Spanish (who doesn't?), and its a beautiful country, but it's definitely a 3rd world country.
With the exception of customer service and the quality of the hotels (which I find to be no different then the rest of Latin America) I actually tend to agree with this.

Last edited by diablo234; 07-29-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
What are some countries in South America developed to American standards? Or remotely close? Or a country an American could live in? You get the idea.

Thanks
All of them.
Everyone in South America is an American just like everyone in North America is an American. That's why they call it 'the Americas'.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
With the exception of customer service and the quality of the hotels (which I find to be no different then the rest of Latin America) I actually tend to agree with this.
GLad you didn't take offense to that. All you have to do is get on youtube and find a bunch of videos of Mexicans and Argentnians trying to take a p;$s on each other over who's the 'better' country.... which is truly pathetic in my mind. You can be proud of who you are and where you come from without having to feel better or worse than anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas