Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Here is one opinion you will not see in the US for a while, at least no worded like this, unfortunately.

The host asks this Spaniard or Latino woman, if she likes black men (los negros) and she says no, but clarified that she likes mulatto men. Then she says that she doesn't like real black men, but does likes mulatto men especially if they have a sharp nose. lol

Its in Spanish, but anyone can make out what her responses area. See means yes and no means no, mulatto means mixed black/white and negros means black. Narees feena means sharp nose.

PS. I know the Spanish words are not written like that, I simply wrote them as they sound so you can identify them in the video.

Amor dice le gustan los mulatos - www.dalealplay.com

Had she been an American, she could had said that she likes black men (due to the US racial system), while hiding the fact that who she really likes are mixed race men, not the real blacks.
When the attraction to Black and mulatto men lead to the destruction of the discriminatory policies that are keeping the majority of them from participating in mainstream society in Latin America, I may believe that women like this truly like or care for Black men. One thing is for sure, people do listen when White women speak. The problem is, that many are only concerned about their own issues. Although this tends to happen when you live in countries that deny that racism even exists. This is the case in much of Latin America.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Widening Ethnic Disparities in Infant Mortality in Southern Brazil: Comparison of 3 Birth Cohorts

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Here is one opinion you will not see in the US for a while, at least no worded like this, unfortunately.

The host asks this Spaniard or Latino woman, if she likes black men (los negros) and she says no, but clarified that she likes mulatto men. Then she says that she doesn't like real black men, but does likes mulatto men especially if they have a sharp nose. lol

Its in Spanish, but anyone can make out what her responses area. See means yes and no means no, mulatto means mixed black/white and negros means black. Narees feena means sharp nose.

PS. I know the Spanish words are not written like that, I simply wrote them as they sound so you can identify them in the video.

Amor dice le gustan los mulatos - www.dalealplay.com

Had she been an American, she could had said that she likes black men (due to the US racial system), while hiding the fact that who she really likes are mixed race men, not the real blacks.
Besides your still trying to argue a defeated argument. Making up your own US racial categories ignoring that mix people are still mix. Mix means black and white hence bi racial. I say it again my moms side are the toneys my Dad sides are the martins. If I'm call a Toney doesn't mean I not a martin also. If some one mix is call black it doesn't mean they are not white also. You seem to be having a hard time understanding this.

But any one who check 2 pages ago can clearly see you contradict yourself... again. You blast Americans for having racial preferences while dating calling Americans racist. While I pointed out that's like calling some one not gay homophobic for the heck of it. But Now your using "this Spaniard or Latino woman" who has a racial preference while dating just to point out how she like mix but not full black men. Which is call having a racial preferences while dating... Failed your killing me dude.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
Being Latin means to be native speaker of a latin language and also have the "latin" culture, so it's more a culture rather than a race, latins are: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian... And also Latin America inherited this culture.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I know I get annoyed by this. When people say they are white and Mexican, or black and Puerto Rican I find this quite silly. I find this as dumb as someone saying I'm half black and half American. When I decided to read up a little on Latin American history I found that their counties are quite similar to America. I then learned that muti ethnic socieities isn't just the domain oftthe USA but countries in the entire Western Hempisphere. I think we tend to broad stroke Latin American countries as being homogenous, when they're not.

Some silly inconsistencies are especially present when people are blacks from Latin America, then are considered less black than black Americans. Yet they both share the same background of slavery, yet people find them .less black. Many say blacks in Latin America are mixed and run away with it, yet black Americans are similiarly mixed.

I also find it quite irritating when Latinos in America are more than willing to classify themselves as a different racial category, but in reality many Latinos in America can fall into a broad list of categories in their home country. One.of the most.disturbing is when say mixed with Brazilian, yet Brazil has more racial categories than America!

Why dont more people challenge this. Hyphenated America is already widely inconsistent and this adds to it even more
How could you waste so much time and energy being "annoyed,"quite irritating," "disturbing" over a word and a bunch of word that have been used for a century or more which you dismiss as "dumb,and "silly"?
You are like a dog chasing your tail....why do you care, let it go, get a life and then enjoy it. You've gotten caught up in the the American obsession with race/color/ethnicity....if it is BS to you, move on, it's of no importance.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM

195 posts, read 441,263 times
I read, somewhere, in SSL, I think, that there is a "Latin Africa" and even a "Latin Asia"...Countries like Angola, Mozambique where called "latin" countries...I didn't know if I would cry or would laugh...I think I did both...

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
I read, somewhere, in SSL, I think, that there is a "Latin Africa" and even a "Latin Asia"...Countries like Angola, Mozambique where called "latin" countries...I didn't know if I would cry or would laugh...I think I did both...
Why would you cry or laugh ? Of course those countries were colonised by Portugal and introduced latin culture to them making them latins as well.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Being Latin means to be native speaker of a latin language and also have the "latin" culture, so it's more a culture rather than a race, latins are: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian... And also Latin America inherited this culture.
Very well said Catbelle

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I know I get annoyed by this. When people say they are white and Mexican, or black and Puerto Rican I find this quite silly.
It has been just over 700 years that Marco Polo brought his stories of Eastern Asia to Europe, and set off a widespread trade in products that brought great wealth to European nobility. Although there had been contact with the Asian world before that time, the regular commerce became critical to the European economy.

Unfortunately roughly 50 years later, the Muslim conquest of Constantinople nearly choked off the free trade with Asia. The pursuit of sea routes meant that Europeans discovered Sub-Saharan Africa and eventually the New world.

Rather simplistically, the Europeans grouped humanity into four racial groups, later to be known as White, Black, Yellow, and Red. Later a race of Brown people was sometimes added.

The idea of races of man proved remarkably difficult to shake. Scholars struggled for centuries to define what constitutes a race, how it corresponds to the story of Adam and Eve, and whether the ancestry of the different races was common.

Scientists have largely dismissed the idea of race, saying that their are different ethnic groups around the world, but any meaningful higher order subdivisions are impossible. Part of the support for the "out of Africa" theory for the common origin of humanity is that the genetic diversity across the African continent is more widespread than the diversity outside of Africa.

But to this day many people insist on differentiating between "race" and "ethnicity". It is not just in casual use, but the US census bureau insists on maintaining this distinction, although it concedes that all identification is "self identified". You are what you think you are.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Actually Arabs are the culprits of race classifications and slave trade. The Europeans picked it up from them and it continued to grow.
Classifying people and trading slaves isn't some Arab innovation; people have been doing this since the dawn of civilization. Albeit it wasn't necessarily based on chromatic grounds though there are practical reasons for the rise of the African Slave Trade. Tribal Africans were an easy target for Muslim and Christian slave traders because they were "primitive" and were infidels/kafir/heathens. Most of the racial mumbo-jumbo came afterwards as a new social pecking order was established.

Most people in the Americas are still intellectually handicapped by colonial era notions of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas