Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Are most of them cultural Catholics, like Spain and Italy, or do most earnestly believe?

Do most believe but not really faithfully practice all tenets of the faith?

It seems a country steeped in Catholicism and pagan superstitions, e.g. Brazil, in which country is the Christianity the 'purest' so to speak?

Which countries are least truly religious, which are most?

Which are most liberal on social issues (I'm guessing Argentina is one), which are most conservative? E.g. most people remaining virgins until marriage, that sort of thing.

I hear Protestantism is also growing in Latin America, i.e. in Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:20 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Depends on the country in question.

In my experience religion in Argentina is not taken seriously at all (church attendance is pretty low), while in Guatemala it is still taken somewhat pretty seriously, with Colombia somewhere in between. Non-catholic religions have also made some serious headway in Latin America as well including various protestant sects and mormonism. Also as a side note Argentina has a pretty large jewish population and they even have a kosher McDonald's in Buenos Aires.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are most of them cultural Catholics, like Spain and Italy, or do most earnestly believe?

Do most believe but not really faithfully practice all tenets of the faith?

It seems a country steeped in Catholicism and pagan superstitions, e.g. Brazil, in which country is the Christianity the 'purest' so to speak?

Which countries are least truly religious, which are most?

Which are most liberal on social issues (I'm guessing Argentina is one), which are most conservative? E.g. most people remaining virgins until marriage, that sort of thing.

I hear Protestantism is also growing in Latin America, i.e. in Brazil.
It's taken very seriously to somewhat serious in outside of very large urban areas, and true to many Western countries as well, taken more seriously by the older population over 30-40. The least religiously serious countries would be Uruguay, Argentina, and Cuba. Mexico is very serious about Catholocism, outside of Mexico City. And you are right, Protestantism is making headways into Latin America, and is usually more energized and engages young people more than it does in the Anglosphere.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
I think Uruguay has one of the highest number of atheists in the world, as a percentage of the total population.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
In Brazil, religion is booming! The charlatans know how to take advantage of people's ignorance- look at Edir Macedo, a teleevangelist similar to Jimmy Swaggart- one of the most powerful people in the country.

When I was in college, I met a lot of Portuguese speaking Mormon missionaries and they were saying that Brazil is one of their largest "markets" in the world- I suppose, any place where you have a large percentage of uneducated people would be fertile ground for missionaries.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
In Brazil, religion is booming! The charlatans know how to take advantage of people's ignorance- look at Edir Macedo, a teleevangelist similar to Jimmy Swaggart- one of the most powerful people in the country.

When I was in college, I met a lot of Portuguese speaking Mormon missionaries and they were saying that Brazil is one of their largest "markets" in the world- I suppose, any place where you have a large percentage of uneducated people would be fertile ground for missionaries.
What a insulting, bigoted statement. Mormonism appeals to a hugely varied group of people: the rich, the poor, the educated, the uneducated. To imply that the Church appeals primarily the uneducated, is blatently false.

Among the LDS Church’s fifteen highest ranking leaders (the “First Presidency” and the “Quorum of the Twelve Apostles") are eight men with doctorate degrees from Harvard, Yale, Purdue, and Duke. Three are lawyers, one of them a former Supreme Court Justice and law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, Earl Warren, one a heart surgeon and the former president of the Society for Vascular Surgery and chairman of the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery for the American Heart Association, several who were professors at Stanford, Texas Tech and the University of Chicago, one of them being a university president. One was the former senior vice president and chief pilot of Lufthansa Airlines. One was on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors. One was the CEO of a California health care system, another the associate general counsel of what is now Bank of America in Charlotte, N.C. Several fought in World War II, at least one as a jet pilot.

Mormons, as a whole are better educated than the general population of the countries in which they reside because Mormonism puts a high value on education. The University of Utah was established in Salt Lake City just 2 1/2 years after the Mormon pioneers settled the area, back when survival itself was still an enormous challenge. Furthermore, it was made co-educational the second quarter of its operation. Brigham Young University is a world-class educational institution. Many of its faculty hold doctorates from some of the best universities in the world. Even in the most under-developed Latin American and South American countries, members of the Church are encouraged to get as much education as possible. The LDS Church even provides low-interest student loans for its young people in those countries.

There is absolutely nothing accurate about your statement.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What a insulting, bigoted statement. Mormonism appeals to a hugely varied group of people: the rich, the poor, the educated, the uneducated. To imply that the Church appeals primarily the uneducated, is blatently false.

Among the LDS Church’s fifteen highest ranking leaders (the “First Presidency” and the “Quorum of the Twelve Apostles") are eight men with doctorate degrees from Harvard, Yale, Purdue, and Duke. Three are lawyers, one of them a former Supreme Court Justice and law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, Earl Warren, one a heart surgeon and the former president of the Society for Vascular Surgery and chairman of the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery for the American Heart Association, several who were professors at Stanford, Texas Tech and the University of Chicago, one of them being a university president. One was the former senior vice president and chief pilot of Lufthansa Airlines. One was on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors. One was the CEO of a California health care system, another the associate general counsel of what is now Bank of America in Charlotte, N.C. Several fought in World War II, at least one as a jet pilot.

Mormons, as a whole are better educated than the general population of the countries in which they reside because Mormonism puts a high value on education. The University of Utah was established in Salt Lake City just 2 1/2 years after the Mormon pioneers settled the area, back when survival itself was still an enormous challenge. Furthermore, it was made co-educational the second quarter of its operation. Brigham Young University is a world-class educational institution. Many of its faculty hold doctorates from some of the best universities in the world. Even in the most under-developed Latin American and South American countries, members of the Church are encouraged to get as much education as possible. The LDS Church even provides low-interest student loans for its young people in those countries.

There is absolutely nothing accurate about your statement.
He pretty much hates people that doesn't think like he does. Look at his anti-car rant in the P&OC forum, pretty much despises people who rely on an automobile to get around, and wishes everyone was forced to ride a bike to and fro. Not surprisingly, he also looks down at the 99% of us humans that decide to worship (a) higher being(s) or power.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
OMG! So, tell me how come I don't see Mormon missionaries in places like Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden? As a matter of fact, the only place in Europe where I met Mormons was Latvia, a country that used to be a former USSR republic-third rate Eastern European country. Why aren't Mormons going to the UK to enlighten that nation of "heathens"?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
OMG! So, tell me how come I don't see Mormon missionaries in places like Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden? As a matter of fact, the only place in Europe where I met Mormons was Latvia, a country that used to be a former USSR republic-third rate Eastern European country. Why aren't Mormons going to the UK to enlighten that nation of "heathens"?
We're talking about Latin America. This topic has to do with Latin America and Latin Americans. Take your seriously uninformed statement to the Europe forum

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-05-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
OMG! So, tell me how come I don't see Mormon missionaries in places like Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden?
How should I know? There are Mormon missionaries in every country in the world that allows them. (Unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses, we only proselytize where it is permitted by the government; we never just sneak in the back door.) There are currently just under 39,000 Mormons living in Germany, 9,000 in the Netherlands and another 9,000 in Sweden. There are actually over 24,000 in Italy. In 2012, the Italian government granted the Church official status as a church and “partner of the state,” a status not even granted to all Protestant Churches in Italy.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, the only place in Europe where I met Mormons was Latvia, a country that used to be a former USSR republic-third rate Eastern European country. Why aren't Mormons going to the UK to enlighten that nation of "heathens"?
We're there, too -- 188,000 of us in 332 congregations.

Now, how about we get back on topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas