Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

It sounds like the three main concerns you wish to avoid are:
1. Earthquakes
2. Hurricanes
3. Needing to learn another language.

You will discover when you get there that none of those will be among the 500 most serious problems you will need to deal with to have any chance of success in this dream of yours.

The only thing you will need to know about crime is this: Everybody there, who is familiar with the way things are done and who know the ropes, will steal everything you have from you immediately and you will have no recourse. Unelss you simply plan to rent a nice condo in a good part of a city, in which case only your servants will steal from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 PM

57 posts, read 73,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post
I was thinking of living there, because it is the only English speaking country in South America and is free from earthquakes and hurricanes.

First I guess I would need a source of passive income or online source of income from the US.

How feasible is it in Guyana to buy some acres of land to live a self sufficient life? Or in Brazil?
You aren't the head of a cult I trust? In any case, no matter what - DON'T DRINK THE KOOL AID!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 344,829 times
How much is a nice condo in Guyana ? I don't plan on having servants but what kind of things would I making them do anyway for how much money is I had some servants?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Most of the guidebooks I have seen about Guyana suggest it has a very serious problem with violent crime, especially in Georgetown. But how does that compare to Brazil? I guess you can find stats that in which an academic scholar may be able to make comparisons. However, international crime statistics are usually used to compare developments over a period of time within a particular country. The definitions and categorization process of what consists certain crimes may not be compatible across international boundaries. Hence, you need to be VERY careful when comparing crime statistics between two totally different countries.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM

lentzr, thank you.

So do you think Guyana would be a lot worse than Brazil in crime?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Depends on the type of crime. According to the UNODC statistics, Guyana's homicide rate is slightly lower than Brazil. UNdata | record view | Intentional homicide, number and rate per 100,000 population

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM

984 posts, read 4,315,787 times
It's lower, as already proved by the poster above; and probably not far off the crime rates in most places of the North Region of Brazil.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM

How can you avoid being a victim of crime?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM

So why is Brazil more popular, when Guyana speaks English?
Is it because it's much more bigger?

Is a Guyana a good cheap destination for expats?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post
So why is Brazil more popular, when Guyana speaks English?
Is it because it's much more bigger?

Is a Guyana a good cheap destination for expats?
The majority of Guyana is untouched, and it's generally Amerindian tribes that live in the interior. It lacks the level of tourist catering/appeal that many other countries possess and is much less well-off economically. Brazil is larger and more developed overall. It has more to cater to tourists and expats who have various interests, and it truly markets itself.

Further, even though Guyana is English-speaking, the population is quite different that Brazil. Brazil's population is also more "familiar" to many, being largely a mix of European and African descendants, then Amerindians and others. It is largely Catholic. Guyana's majority are South Asian descendants, then African descendants, with Amerindians, Chinese etc. You will find Christians, Hindus and Muslims etc. While some may find Guyanese diversity intriguing, many people will feel more comfortable with Brazil. Lastly, many people don't know anything about Guyana. Half the time they think of Ghana, which again ties back into marketing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas