Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Although the entire United States is an example of living history, in my opinion there are only a half-dozen truly historical areas: New England, Manhattan and Long Island; Boston and Philadelphia; New Orleans and the Mississippi Delta; California; South Carolina and southern Florida. ]
The Mississippi Delta is not the same as the Mississippi River Delta, which would be associated with New Orleans. Which are you referring to? The Mississippi Delta is the low-lying cotton-growing region south of Memphis, on the east side of the river opposite Arkansas.

Boston appears to be in both of the first two areas you mentioned, and the first area lies amidships within the second one. It is an interesting argument that there are only 6 historic areas, but they need to be better defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking of areas like Esmeraldas in Ecuador, Chincha in Peru, Northeastern Brazil, Costa Chica in Mexico, Loiza in Puerto Rico and Choco in Colombia, among others. All are known for their higher concentrations and long history of people of African descent, but I'm wondering if there are similarities. I could have added areas/communities like the Caribbean coastal areas of Central American countries, many small communities in Nova Scotia and SW Ontario in Canada(especially Preston in Nova Scotia) and even the River Plate area of Argentina and Uruguay.
There is also a town in Peru that is predominantly Black called El Carmen.
Peru’s African Side: Chincha & El Carmen | ...en Perú - Travel Culture History News

Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Another place I would read about is this place.
Costa Chica of Guerrero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I would watch this video.

Black in Latin America E03, Mexico and Peru: The Black Grandma in the Closet - YouTube

Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,212 times
We see very few people of African descent here in Peru! Chincha, a few hours south of where I live is a small desert town where most live. There is nothing much there although the town is well known for it's annual BBQ cat festival.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
We see very few people of African descent here in Peru! Chincha, a few hours south of where I live is a small desert town where most live. There is nothing much there although the town is well known for it's annual BBQ cat festival.
Chincha is where alot of cotton is grown, and it is picked by manyb Afro-Peruvians.

Lima was once considered a Black city because at one point it had a large Black population.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM

83 posts, read 517,858 times
Colombia, venezuela and Brazil has many, especially Colombia in their coastal parts of their country

Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,777 times
In Colombia, many coastal departments on the Caribbean side have interiors that can be likend to certain areas in the south. Also, Brazil has places like that as well, especially in the Northeast between Recife and Salvador da Bahia.

It's really interesting how countries can have different histories, different climates, etc., and find themselves eerily similar...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM

578 posts, read 962,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking of areas like Esmeraldas in Ecuador, Chincha in Peru, Northeastern Brazil, Costa Chica in Mexico, Loiza in Puerto Rico and Choco in Colombia, among others. All are known for their higher concentrations and long history of people of African descent, but I'm wondering if there are similarities. I could have added areas/communities like the Caribbean coastal areas of Central American countries, many small communities in Nova Scotia and SW Ontario in Canada(especially Preston in Nova Scotia) and even the River Plate area of Argentina and Uruguay.
The Mississippi Delta has a different history traditionally from the rest of the traditional USA. Mississippi was under Spanish and French colonial rule. So it has that Latin and Creole influenced base before the area was incorporated into the USA. Mississippi was apart of the Louisiana Territory. =)

Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM

578 posts, read 962,903 times
I don't think I would even consider the blacks and people of African descent in Mississippi to be African Americans due to the history and culture of the region

Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Chincha is where alot of cotton is grown, and it is picked by manyb Afro-Peruvians.

Lima was once considered a Black city because at one point it had a large Black population.
There are actually a lot more Afrodescendants in the northern Peruvian areas since colonial times. Chincha makes up only a portion of the Afro Peruvian population. Go to the North and you'll find other unique Afro-Peruvian populations. A lot of people in the north have "Malgache" ancestry also known as Madagascar ancestry since that was an Afrodiaspiric group that was brought to and transplanted into Peru during the colonial period and during enslavement and slavery and the slave trade. Some even call themselves Malgache in Peru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas