Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Tell that to most of the world.
I am from Europe (Bulgaria) and we were taught that there are 7 continents in the world. I don't know what you study in South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You yourself are a perfect example of this US American arrogance by defending something that is not even accepted by most of the world.
I am not even American.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No, I always say 'from America,' then people ask me from what country specifically and then I'll respond to that.
Say that in Europe and the next question would be from what state/city. If you say you are from America in Europe, everybody would think you are from the US.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am from Europe (Bulgaria) and we were taught that there are 7 continents in the world.
You are an exception, most Europeans are taught the 6 continents model with the Western Hemisphere comprising one continent called America. In France they teach the 5 continents model because the French don't see Antarctica as a continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912
I don't know what you study in South America.
I got my education in the USA, but I've travelled to quite a few countries and know what I'm saying regarding this.

Here are some responses from another site after a confused US American thought Europeans are wrong for considering America one continent instead of two:

1. When I was at school I was taught that there were 5 continents: europe, asia, austraila, africa and america (combining south and north america). That was a german school in South Korea.

2. To be honest, I always think of five continents: America, Asia, Australia, Africa and Europa.

3. I also learned in France 5 continent : Europe, America, Asia, Oceania and Africa. Like the rings in the Olympic Games.

4. LI’m from Portugal and also learned 5 continents and they taught us that the Olympic Games rings represented each one of them.

5. so funny… I always learned 7 (I’m american) but I just asked my husband who told me 5 (he is european). Strange!

6. As a Latinamerican from a US territory my continents has always been, in Spanish: América, Europa, África, Asia, Oceanía, and Antártida.

7. ‘Most English speaking countries’ say it’s 7? In Australia we are taught 6, and New Zealand, UK and South Africa, are the same:
The Americas
Europa
África
Asia
Oceanía
Antarctica

I have never in my life heard of 7. Is this only what is taught in the US? Seems that any site mentioning 7 is from the US.

8. I’m Spanish and when I was a little girl there “were” only 5 continents (Africa, America, Asia, Europa and Oceania), later somehow someone realized Antarctica looked like another one and we started to hear about 6 continents. I remember being quite disturbed by the fact that I saw 6 on my maps despite what my teacher said.

9. I can’t believe it! There is Central America, not only South and North.
America is ONE continent with three sub-continents.

10. I’m from the Dominican Republic, and I was taught about 5 continents: Africa, America (only one), Europe, Asia and Oceania.

11. Though I was taught 7 continents here in Canada, I now reject that and consider America to be a single continent and NOT a country. Thus there are 6 continents: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australasia and Antractica.

swissmiss | So, how many Continents are there?

Haven't you ever wondered why the continents of the world are represented like this in the Olympic Rings?:

These five multicolored Olympic rings stand for the five continents where the athletes traveled from to take part in the sporting competitions of these Olympic events.
The tradition and meaning of the Olympic Rings

Hm, lets see, the five inhabited continents would be (1) Europe, (2) Africa, (3) Asia, (4) Oceania, and (5) America! Oh, what a surprise!

Quote:
I am not even American.
That makes it even worst because you are still in the minority of the world's population that is taught that America is two continents. Quite ridiculous really.

Quote:
Say that in Europe and the next question would be from what state/city. If you say you are from America in Europe, everybody would think you are from the US.
That's because of US imperialism and the usurpation of the name American by the US Americans. This is why there's much confusion, because before the USA came to the stage, everyone had accepted for centuries that there was one American continent and that all of its inhabitants are Americans. In fact, Europeans that migrated to the any country in the Western Hemisphere would claim they were migrating to America, regardless if they were headed to Argentina or Brazil or Cuba or the USA. Its all America!

As I said before, a small minority of the world's population think that America is not one continent.

http://www.usaisnotamerica.com/index.php

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-07-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 AM

"South America, earlier known simply as America (1507–1538)"... Open different maps and you will always see the names of 2 different continents.

South America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central America is part of North America. It is just a geographic name similar to Western Europe or North Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_america

I am sorry but there are even different football (soccer) organizations in North and South America called CONCACAF in North and CONMEBOL in South.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CONMEBOL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Botev1912; 05-08-2013 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times
Let's say that we are all riding a bus with a Canadian, Cuban, Mexican, Brazillian, Guatamallan, Peruvian, Argentinian, and anybody else that you want to throw in there.

The bus gets hijacked by terrorists that want to kill all of the Americans.

How many of you are raising your hands? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
[quote=South Range Family;29470847] Let's say that we are all riding a bus with a Canadian, Cuban, Mexican, Brazillian, Guatamallan, Peruvian, Argentinian, and anybody else that you want to throw in there.

How many of you are raising your hands? Yeah, that's what I thought. [/quote]

SRF has said what I have been thinking all along, as well...excellent point I might add! Whenever there are posts in this very World Forum of the c-d (and they are never threads of a favorable or complimentary nature, I assure you) there are a vast populace from around the globe more than willing and happily pointing out ALL of our inadequacies and many, many shortcomings. Everything from our illiteracy, uneducated, not well travelled, obesity, ignorance, ineptitude, laziness, and general unworthiness as human beings; red haired stepchildren and every name under the sun except the children of G_D, go figure.

Well, y'all ready to step up to the plate now? Or will you all be the ones showing YOUR country of origin passports, you know...Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cubans, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela; even Mexicans will proclaim they are Mexicans AND from Mexico, of that I am sure!

"No, No, yo no soy Americano, soy de...América del sur." Yes, that's what I thought as well!

Another point I would like to illuminate...I don't see any of our Canadian brothers and sisters jumping up and down insisting to be called Americans and they are from North America!
The Reasons Canadians and Britons Hate America and Americans So Much
A small fraction of these are true, some are myths, some are the truth exaggerated, and some are pure
propaganda. Please read my blog (under the Anti-American topics) to see how I address the above
stereotypes of the “average American”.

The Reasons Canadians and Britons Hate America and Americans So Much | Waging a War on the Radical Right and the Radical Left

Please...my brothers and sisters from South America, please educate yourselves on the vast hatred from around the world in general for Americanos and reconsider what you would be getting yourselves into. You will HAVE to clearly make the distinction ALL OF THE TIME that NO, you are NOT THOSE AMERICANOS!

10 Countries That Hate America Most: 24/7 Wall St.-Posted: 03/16/2013

From 24/7 Wall St.isapproval of U.S. leadership had no statistical improvement last year, according to
the latest U.S.-Global Leadership Project, a partnership between Meridian International Center and Gallup. Of those foreign citizens surveyed by Gallup in 130 countries, 25% disapproved of the job performance of President Obama’s administration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/16/countries-hate-america_n_2885778.html

Have a great day; ALL of us...AMERICANS, SOUTH AMERICANS, AFRICANS, ASIANS, AUSTRALIANS and EUROPEANS!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 05-08-2013 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling, what else?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Let's say that we are all riding a bus with a Canadian, Cuban, Mexican, Brazillian, Guatamallan, Peruvian, Argentinian, and anybody else that you want to throw in there.

How many of you are raising your hands? Yeah, that's what I thought.
The terrorist will be explained of the confusion, then they will say that they want US Americans and the US Americans will claim to be Canadians.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 PM

then can you tell us why Mexicans are Mexicans not something else because their country is called United Mexican States? What about Republic of Serbia. Should they be called Republicans?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
then can you tell us why Mexicans are Mexicans not something else because their country is called United Mexican States?
United Mexican States is not the same as the United States of Mexico. Mexicans are still Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912
What about Republic of Serbia. Should they be called Republicans?
That doesn't makes sense because republic is a legal condition, not the name of a place. After its all said and done, Serbians are still Europeans!

There are other examples:

United Arab Emirates = Emiratis, but that country is not called United Emirates of Arabia or United Emirates of Arabs. An emirates is similar to a state (as in United States). If they would had called themselves United Emirates or United Emirates of Arabia, they would still be Emiratis. Arabian is a term that encompasses people from multiple countries, similar to how American encompasses natives of all countries in the Western Hemisphere.

Central African Republic = Central Africans, because they can't just steal the name African for themselves due to that term encompassing many people from various countries. Since there is no Central Africa (its all sub-Saharan Africa), Central African is perfectly acceptable and considerate to their fellow Africans.

An African can be Ghanaian, South African, Mozambican, Somalian, Rwandan, Guineans, Senegalese, etc.

An Arabian can be Egyptian, Saudi, Kuwaiti, Jordanian, Syrian, Tunisian, Yemeni, Lebanese, etc.

An American can be Canadian, Mexican, Panamanian, Trinidadian, Colombian, Brazilian, Peruvian, etc.

A European can be Spanish, Italian, French, British, Finnish, Czech, Greek, Polish, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas