Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM

440 posts, read 377,336 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/search?q=united%...esian&src=typd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
That is clearly less than 1% of the total American twitter accounts. Go up to the average American and call them a "United Statian" and see how many strange stares you will get.

Like I already said, it makes sense in the Spanish language but doesn't make much sense to say that term in the English language.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 PM

As I said before, "considerable" doesn't mean "all". Twitter is just one example. When you type "United Statesian" on Google you can also find some other sites, especially blogspots where some people advice other US citizens not to use "American" while traveling across the American continent. Others totally identify with "United Statesian" and others just use "US citizen" as it is more common.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
As I said before, "considerable" doesn't mean "all". Twitter is just one example. When you type "United Statesian" on Google you can also find some other sites, especially blogspots where some people advice other US citizens not to use "American" while traveling across the American continent. Others totally identify with "United Statesian" and others just use "US citizen" as it is more common.
Do you live in the United States? I'm starting to think you are really a Latin American poster pretending to be from the United States.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you live in the United States? I'm starting to think you are really a Latin American poster pretending to be from the United States.
Argumentum ad hominem?

Where I may or may not come from doesn't matter at all. It is only a matter of reading history to understand what the problem is.

As I said in my first comment, I have noticed most US citizens don't really know about the origin of the word "America" and that originally South America was America exclusively. I tend to think that the topic is briefly studied in schools, probably they don't go too deep into it because it might beg the question "If South America was originally America, how come we call ourselves America exclusively?"

I also said that perhaps the USA went through some kind of self-isolation process that disassociated the country from the rest of America and a shared sense of continentality with the rest of Americans didn't succeed or perhaps it was never the intention and, as time went by, the notion that "America is a country" gained ground in people's mind. There could be several reasons to explain this.

Last edited by Haukur; 11-02-2014 at 12:12 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 12:08 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
considerable doesn't mean a few people on twitter (that are not even from the US). I have never ever ever heard United Statesian outside of this forum. This word (statesian) doesn't even exist in the dictionary.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 AM

United statesian - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
As I said in my first comment, I have noticed most US citizens don't really know about the origin of the word "America" and that originally South America was America exclusively. I tend to think that the topic is briefly studied in schools, probably they don't go too deep into it because it might beg the question "If South America was originally America, how come we call ourselves America exclusively?"
I think you're reading history books that are either Portuguese-centric or Spanish-centric.

The Americas has always been the entire hemisphere. Both North and South America. They were divided between North America and South America to specify which section of the hemisphere one was talking about.

If you believe that the Americas was ONLY South America, than you must have grown up reading some very Spanish or Portuguese-centric textbooks.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
I also said that perhaps the USA went through some kind of self-isolation process that disassociated the country from the rest of America and a shared sense of continentality with the rest of Americans didn't succeed or perhaps it was never the intention and, as time went by, the notion that "America is a country" gained ground in people's mind. There could be several reasons to explain this.
Well, the United States was a dream of many EUROPEAN IMMIGRANTS for the first two hundred years. It was never some isolated entity of just 100% born internal something or another.

It became 'America' because all of the Europeans continuously referred to it as such. Than those Europeans who kept talking about 'America', made the move to the United States of America, and continued calling it the same as they always called it back in Europe.

For whatever reason, for most Europeans, the United States of America, simply was shorted as 'America'. Even today, if I visit Europe or talk to Europeans, I have to constantly endure them using the words 'he's from America', etc.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Also, in order to solve the problem, "United Statesian" is accepted by the English language and it seems quite popular among a considerable amount of people in the USA. I searched for the term on twitter and some people from the USA are already using it and I have found it on an online dictionary, too.

Many other terms have been proposed by US citizens themselves such as Usonian, United Statser, etc, but United Statesian or Unitedstatesian seems to be gaining ground over the others.
I have never, ever heard of the people of the United States of America being referred to anything but Americans. Not in Europe, not in Asia, and definitely not in the USA. A couple people on the Internet does not make something popular or even acceptable. Bet if you took a poll most Americans have never heard of this. Nice try.

Regardless of whatever the history is or was, we are from a country on the Northern America continent, that makes us legitimately American. If you want to refer to us as North Anericans for clarity, go for it. At least that way people will know what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas