Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
LOL, so true. When I moved to Puerto Rico I knew nothing about Caribbean geography. Really nothing and I didn't really care. I was much more interested in the geography of Africa or Asia. The Caribbean just seemed like a huge tourist destination.

Anyway I was really confused because there are a lot of illegal people from the Dominican Republic in Puerto Rico.

The illegals from the Dominican Republic don't speak English whereas as all the Puerto Ricans learn English starting at age 5. Then I met quite a few people from Dominica and I was confused as there English was perfect with a Caribbean flare accent and all of them were in PR legally. In fact it turns out I ended up going to school with 4 people from Dominica, all who were US citizens and all 4 retained citizenship by different means. Anyway I realized that Dominica and the Dominican Republic are both in the Caribbean. And I think both countries the people are called Dominicans which certainly makes it confusing.
LOL I'm half Dominican (not Dominican republic) and there official language is English unlike DR where the official language is Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
In argentina we say:
yanki
gringo
estadounidense
norteamericano

never heard someone refeering to a person from USA as an "american", since here american is the continent.

When i was in italy last year visiting relatives with my dad, my italian relatives reffeer to us as "los americanos" and they called my dad "Il american", cause we are from America, the continent.
I find that strange, its like me referring to my German friend as a "Eurasian"

Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
The United States of America is the only country in North, Central or South America which incorporates the word "America" into it's name.

People the world over refer to citizens of the USA as "Americans" - it's not because US citizens push it, it's just a shortened version of the rather long name of our country.

When I travel internationally, I rarely (if ever) say to people, when asked, that I'm "from America." I don't know of anyone who does. Most US citizens, when asked, will say something along the lines of, "Oh, I'm from the States" or "the US" or "I'm from Texas" or "California." Not, "Oh thanks for asking - I'm from America." That actually really sounds stupid in fact.

However, invariably, when we say where we're from (in our case, we say, "We're from Texas,") the other person from another country will grin and say, "Oh, you're an AMERICAN."

Well, yes, I guess we are.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM

139 posts, read 328,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
LOL I'm half Dominican (not Dominican republic) and there official language is English unlike DR where the official language is Spanish.
So let's get this straight P London you are Dominican from Dominica and not Dominican from the Dominican Republic? Whew, this is confusing. :-)

Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
So let's get this straight P London you are Dominican from Dominica and not Dominican from the Dominican Republic? Whew, this is confusing. :-)
Yes my mum is from the Commomwealth of Dominica not the Dominican Republic. Dominica is an African - English speaking (with some French creole speakers) nation in the lesser Antilles. Unlike the Dominican Republic where the culture is Spanish, African and native based.
People confuse the 2 nations all the time.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The United States of America is the only country in North, Central or South America which incorporates the word "America" into it's name.

People the world over refer to citizens of the USA as "Americans" - it's not because US citizens push it, it's just a shortened version of the rather long name of our country.

When I travel internationally, I rarely (if ever) say to people, when asked, that I'm "from America." I don't know of anyone who does. Most US citizens, when asked, will say something along the lines of, "Oh, I'm from the States" or "the US" or "I'm from Texas" or "California." Not, "Oh thanks for asking - I'm from America." That actually really sounds stupid in fact.

However, invariably, when we say where we're from (in our case, we say, "We're from Texas,") the other person from another country will grin and say, "Oh, you're an AMERICAN."

Well, yes, I guess we are.
You clearly havent traveled much, huh??

oh well im not shocked

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
You clearly havent traveled much, huh??

oh well im not shocked
Sophie, most people in the world call the USA America. Only Latin Americans (except Puerto Ricans), the Spanish, and possibly the French call North and South America as America. Everyone else calls people from the USA Americans and people that learn to speak British English call the USA America. When the BBC talks about the US, 99% of the time they call my country America. What is the big deal with us latinos saying that North and South America are called America, when NONE of us call each other Americans? To me, you're an argentina, I'm a puertorriqueño, people from Venezuela are venezolanos, we don't call each other americanos, do we? Hell, I NEVER call any person from Latin America a latino/a when I'm outside the US

Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Well, at least in Brazil most people call Americans basically, Americans (they say 'Americanos', which translated from portuguese would be the term cited), and also a smaller but very significant number of people refer to the US as 'América' - like the British calling here America. Furthermore Brazil since several decades ago is technically a Federative Republic, it isn't 'United States of Brazil' anymore.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM

285 posts, read 703,132 times
I can't imagine ever saying "United Statesian." If I really want or need to refer to myself as "American" and specify the country rather than the continents, I might try "US American."

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
I can't imagine ever saying "United Statesian." If I really want or need to refer to myself as "American" and specify the country rather than the continents, I might try "US American."
'United Statesian' is completely weird in English, but 'estadunidense', both in Spanish and in Portuguese, makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas