Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,526 times

Advertisements

Which countries do you think have the best and worst food, and why?

I haven't been to every country in L.A but can say from where I've been that:

a) Mexico has a very diverse regional cuisine and great food
b) Same with Brazil. I especially love the food of Salvador...and those little chocolate balls..brigadiero??

Worst:
a) Cuba. I didn't 'cocinar' in Cuba, but 'inventar'. That's what Cubans use to say cook nowadays that food is so scare
b)Argentina - meat, meat everywhere.
c) Costa Rican food is said to be bland - rice, beans and plantains three times a day.

El Salvador seems to have a lot of nice food, as does Ecuador - not places known for their food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Mexico has a varied landscape with desert, and tropics and long coast line. Along with that is diverse plants, and animals. Coupled with decent amount of wealth and free time, they will perfect their cuisine. So yeah, mexico has good food.

I have only ever been to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica. Out of those three I enjoyed Costa Rican, eventhough I only ate in the resort's buffet. They told me it is costa rican food. They are all quite similar, but I enjoyed this one dish called rondon at the Grand Papagayo in Costa Rica the most. It is short ribs or brisket with the bone in some sort of greenish stew. It is delicious. There is a chinese dish similar to it, but the sauce is more soy based and darker.

I tried to Anthony Bourdain Puerto Rico, but could not find a place that had the roasted pig on a rotating spit, that they slice the meat right off and feed you. And Puerto Rico has lots of american style dining from sit down american, to fast food to chinese takeout.

I didnt try much DR food in DR outside of the iberostar. But what I have tasted at the resort, is okay. I have tried DR food in NYC, and it is decent too. But Mexico just has more variety.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Unless you have the budget to enjoy fine dining, Latin American day-to-day fare is pretty uninspiring. Seafood is popular in Chile, but unless you are very adventurous, don't ask what is on your plate. But fruit is wonderful, in lowland tropical areas where it grows profusely. Andean food is basically awful and monotonous. The worst food in South America are the universal Colombian arepa breads, which are as tasty as bun-sized communion wafers.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Peruvian cuisine is divine! So much, a trip to Lima simply to eat delicious Peruvian dishes is fully worth it!

As for the worst, meh, this is highly subjective. I think every country's cuisine has its proponents that swear by them, but Peruvian is definitely above the rest. Simply delicious!

I'm not Peruvian, in case anyone is wondering.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 AM

255 posts, read 565,315 times
Peru
Spain
and I like Argentine food but it is basically European fusion - mostly Italian influenced so Mexican takes the third spot.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
I've only had Mexican and Dominican, in NYC. The Domnician was pretty bland, to be honest, nothing special.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,907 times
I have a love/hate relationship with Costa Rican food. I've spent eight years there and consistently found the food rather unexciting. That said, I did like that it was simplistic, straight-forward, and always fresh - there is something to be said about those attributes when you are only concerned with basic daily sustenance.

However, most local dishes lack any complexity and/or subtlety, no matter where you eat. Thus, in the greater scope of cuisines, I'd probably rank it fairly low.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Peruvian cuisine is divine! So much, a trip to Lima simply to eat delicious Peruvian dishes is fully worth it!
Yes, maybe so. I think the biggest city in Peru that I ever ate in was probably Moquegua, and the food was pretty darned good in the market stalls.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM

839 posts, read 3,071,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The worst food in South America are the universal Colombian arepa breads, which are as tasty as bun-sized communion wafers.
But you're supposed to add some toppings to the arepa. That's the way they eat them. I particularly like arepas, and I have even eaten plain arepas.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM

347 posts, read 695,439 times
Best: Hands down Peru! Extremely diverse, delicious cuisine
Worst: not sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas