U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 PM

14,211 posts, read 13,249,209 times

Advertisements

Don't know what to think about this one, but reading some of the verses out loud had me dying with laughter...

After long disdain, Jamaica gets 1st patois Bible - SFGate

Quote:
The Rev. Courtney Stewart, general secretary of the regional Bible society, said there is a widespread conviction that Scripture is best understood in a person's spoken tongue.

He predicts many Jamaicans will be inspired to hear and read the translation in which the shortest verse — "Jesus wept," following the death of Christ's friend Lazarus in the Gospel of John — becomes "Jiizas baal."

In the depiction of the angel Gabriel's visit to the Virgin Mary that foretold the birth of Jesus, the New King James Bible's version of Luke reads, "And having come in, the angel said to her, 'Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women.'"

The patois version says: "Di ienjel go tu Mieri an se tu ar se, 'Mieri, mi av nyuuz we a go mek yu wel api. Gad riili riili bles yu an im a waak wid yu aal di taim.'"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,940,372 times
If you had a product you wanted to sell to people who speak that patois, would you have your sales brochures in their language, or in some form of English they don't understand and don't trust?

Why do you think other's people's languages and cultures are just "funny"?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 AM

15,094 posts, read 5,429,273 times
Oh gosh, it finish! I goin an buy it!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM

14,211 posts, read 13,249,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do you think other's people's languages and cultures are just "funny"?
I just couldn't shake that "market woman" voice in my head when reading it, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas