Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Our continent is named North America, our country is named United States! now some people put it as United States of America but it's still United States. Canada and Mexico is in the continent North America and of course South America is a continent also, not a country, so in fact if you were to introduce yourself as an American you are, however a Canadian is an American as well, a Mexican is an American as well, a person in Venezuela is an American as well. People in the United States are a bit laxed and ignorant and they believe we are the only Americans but we aren't, just like a lot of people from parts of Africa will get mad if you ask them how Africa is, Africa is a continent not a country and there are many countries in Africa. Hope I explained it as well as I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Lol!!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Default Buenos Aires?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
LOL.

Well, ok, im gonna confess. Me and all southamericans and Canadian have an inferiority complex cause USA is so awesome, and we also have an inferiority complex to you, cause, you know, you are "the awesome"
I was supposed to go there for a study abroad program, I still want to come to your country. Just saying

Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Nothing. Racism is currently being used in broader terms and deals with more than the color of people's skin (ethnic differences or even religious). He is referencing those found (in every country) that like to "hate" on themselves. They find the negative in all things particular to their nation and - in the USA - that usually means placing the blame on overt (or covert) racism. Some people are the opposite and just see good even though there is bad . . . people! What can you do?
Exactly!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Meanwhile well just call you "awesome"

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Meanwhile well just call you "awesome"
Since we're all Americans that makes you awesome too!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Threads like this have been on C-D in the past year more than once.

I'm seventy-five years old, half of my relatives are Canadians and I have probably know thousands of Hispanic people from living and working in NYC for forty plus years.

Not once have I heard any of these people object to the fact that citizens of the U.S.A. call themselves Americans, and probably for exactly the reason cited in the OP. I think this is exclusively a problem of some Americans' jingoist imaginations, plus it makes for any easy troll.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Since we're all Americans that makes you awesome too!
cool

Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Threads like this have been on C-D in the past year more than once.

I'm seventy-five years old, half of my relatives are Canadians and I have probably know thousands of Hispanic people from living and working in NYC for forty plus years.

Not once have I heard any of these people object to the fact that citizens of the U.S.A. call themselves Americans, and probably for exactly the reason cited in the OP. I think this is exclusively a problem of some Americans' jingoist imaginations, plus it makes for any easy troll.
Correction, it's some Americans trying to overcompensate for some perceived jingoism . You see it a lot in Americans that live in Europe, especially. Boy, do they try to hate on their own people a lot. It's just self-hate, trying to kiss the international community's ass in the hopes of gaining "acceptance" from their superior, European masters

Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
While the term Americans is very sloppy (just look at the op, claiming the name of the country is America, lol) and strictly speaking of course all people from Canada to Chile are Americans, I have never heard any Americans from Brazil or elsewhere getting upset about US Americans calling themselves Americans, they don't really care, and why would they?!
Brazil for instance is a world of its own, they refer to themselves as Brazilians, or even specifically as Paulistas, Cariocas, etc. For them it is actually kind of a compliment not to be confused with US Americans, whom they don't exactly love anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas