Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times

Advertisements

Don't Latin Americans themselves say "Americano"? And I know it's forgotten a lot but in French Creole (another "American" language), we say "Americain" for US natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 PM

440 posts, read 377,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You have not offered any backup to any of these assertions. The burden of proof is on you if you wish to subvert the dominant usage. Lots of luck.
There is evidence of what I said, if you don't want to see it then that's your problem.

Can you refute the fact that the New World was officially named America?
Can you disprove the first official map that backs up this fact of history?

What right does the USA have to take millions of people's identity for themselves? None.

Political correctness will always haunt the USA until the day they fully embrace any of the other accepted alternatives such as United Statesian, Usanian or even US citizen. Some are doing it already.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
There is evidence of what I said, if you dont want to see it then that's your problem.

Can you refute the fact that the New World was officially named America?
Can you disprove the first official map that backs up this fact of history?

What right does the USA have to take millions of people's identity for themselves? None.
To answer you question this was decided long ago IT's A Done Deal there's nothing you can do about it except complain. LOL I find it quite amusing that it disturbs you so much!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
United statian? Usanian?????? WTF??

whawhawHAAAAAAATT? I'm sorry but nobody actually uses those redicules terms other then a couple here on CD. I have no friggin clue what one of those are. Isn't the first a train station or something like that? The other seems like some alian race on some cheap si fi flick. Please. This thread is hilarious.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
It's the United States of America. There are no other United States of America.

There is however a United States of Mexico, hence the term Mexican. (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)

WTF would they be? Unidostatianos? How should we differentiate the two?

As you were...

Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM

440 posts, read 377,570 times
United Statesian, Usanian, Usonian and other demonyms have been proposed by people of the USA and, at least, "United Statesian" is considered a proper alternative. Some are using them, not everybody, but some are using them and they are really appropiate terms since America belongs to all Americans and not to the USA exclusively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ThnlQx1tU

Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
It's the United States of America. There are no other United States of America.

There is however a United States of Mexico, hence the term Mexican. (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)

WTF would they be? Unidostatianos? How should we differentiate the two?

As you were...
no, there isn't any other Mexico (be it a country, a continent or whatever). Hence, there is no room for ambiguity. With "America", there is.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
United Statesian, Usanian, Usonian and other demonyms have been proposed by people of the USA and, at least, "United Statesian" is considered a proper alternative. Some are using them, not everybody, but some are using them and they are really appropiate terms since America belongs to all Americans and not to the USA exclusively.

Okay so now we know what you look like so what. You haven't said anything new with this post. Real Americans from the USA still won't agree to use the silly demonyms you keep posting.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:

They have been proposed by people from the US, and some are using the term... some, likely meaning sub-1%. This doesn't make it a pervasive trend in American society.

There's a great rock band out of Philly called John & Brittany. Their songs St. Valentine and Start Sinning kick ass. I'm on their band's facebook and have connected with other fans about how awesome they are. But, the reality is that their videos have all been viewed only a couple thousand times each on youtube, most of their fans or from Philly/NYC, and it's only by the grace of god I heard them on XM when I was driving through the Southwestern desert one day.

A few of my friends here in China have heard it when I'm in the office or at one of my parties and liked it. They asked if they were a popular American band. I could have said "yes," I mean after all, a few thousand people have seen their videos on YouTube! But that'd be a lie, or at least a gross extrapolation.

The average American hasn't heard of this issue, and hasn't heard of the nonsensical terms that you are saying are correct and common alternatives for our denonym. Most Americans, I can guarantee, would find this to be a nitpicky, pointless argument and reject ita premise.

Your repeated tut-tuts about political correctness are also meaningless, as political correctness is a broad, unscientific term that merely means avoidance of offending a disadvantaged group. Its application is completely fluid and subjective; it can be argued that trying to force one nation to the whims of many and drop their denonym so it may be adopted by those who already have one is politically incorrect and needlessly prejudiced towards current Americans who had nothing to do with the history behind the term.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
no, there isn't any other Mexico (be it a country, a continent or whatever). Hence, there is no room for ambiguity. With "America", there is.
Mexico's official name is the United States of Mexico, and its name was inspired by the USA. It's difficult for a lot of latinophiles to remember, but Latin America as it stands today was also a result of colonialism and imperialism. The Mexicans hoped to form their own post colonial union of states much in the way the US had.

So, what they are saying is that since there are two United States, it's no different from having more than one America anyways. The problem (as far as haukur et al are concerned at least; most people don't care) is that there is one more United States, and two continents called America, so if the US' name is the United States of America, then there is no way to splice it so that no crybabies are offended, and changing the name of the US to suit the sensibilities of an insubstantial international minority is offensive to Americans themselves.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 03-26-2015 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas