Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Nothing. Racism is currently being used in broader terms and deals with more than the color of people's skin (ethnic differences or even religious). He is referencing those found (in every country) that like to "hate" on themselves. They find the negative in all things particular to their nation and - in the USA - that usually means placing the blame on overt (or covert) racism. Some people are the opposite and just see good even though there is bad . . . people! What can you do?
That's not racism then. Perhaps prejudice but not racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 AM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
While the term Americans is very sloppy (just look at the op, claiming the name of the country is America, lol) and strictly speaking of course all people from Canada to Chile are Americans, I have never heard any Americans from Brazil or elsewhere getting upset about US Americans calling themselves Americans, they don't really care, and why would they?!
Brazil for instance is a world of its own, they refer to themselves as Brazilians, or even specifically as Paulistas, Cariocas, etc. For them it is actually kind of a compliment not to be confused with US Americans, whom they don't exactly love anyway.
But it isn't a question of being confused with US Americans. It's as if, for example, British people called themselves "Europeans" as a demonym of their country, and so, all the rest of Europeans were "Southern Europeans", "Central Europeans", "Eastern Europeans", etc. It would be odd.

BTW, not only Brazilians call themselves by their demonym. Argentininas, Chileans, Uruguayans, and so on, do too. And also they call themselves with demonyms of their local provinces/regions/states/cities, etc, just as Brazilians do. It isn't unique to Brazilians.

In fact, no one in the Americas call themselves "American" to express nationality, except the US Americans. What is being argued is whether "American" should be used to refer to the nationality of a single country (as US Americans do), or to "continentality".

Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:
While the term Americans is very sloppy (just look at the op, claiming the name of the country is America, lol
yea right go read the post again, I said "America" is in the name of the country, not claiming the name is "America". And no one has even suggested a surname for the United States of America's citizens, we use Americans to describe ourselves simply because America in the country's name. If we were the United States of Neuling, they would call us full retards.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
But it isn't a question of being confused with US Americans. It's as if, for example, British people called themselves "Europeans" as a demonym of their country, and so, all the rest of Europeans were "Southern Europeans", "Central Europeans", "Eastern Europeans", etc. It would be odd.

BTW, not only Brazilians call themselves by their demonym. Argentininas, Chileans, Uruguayans, and so on, do too. And also they call themselves with demonyms of their local provinces/regions/states/cities, etc, just as Brazilians do. It isn't unique to Brazilians.

In fact, no one in the Americas call themselves "American" to express nationality, except the US Americans. What is being argued is whether "American" should be used to refer to the nationality of a single country (as US Americans do), or to "continentality".
I meant more like being lumped together with US Americans, not confused with literally.

There is a similar situation in German, where for sloppiness most people say Holland for Netherlands, although Holland is just one province of the Netherlands.

Exactly, Brazilians etc. don't refer to themselves as Americans at all. Not because they are not Americans, they are just as much Americans as US Americans are, but because they know US Americans and other people around the world refer to themselves as Americans and thus don't want to be lumped together or confused with them. Plus, they are proud to be Brazilians, Peruvians, etc. in particular.

Interestingly, the name America was originally used for South America only, like in the early 16th century

Last edited by Neuling; 12-29-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
yea right go read the post again, I said "America" is in the name of the country, not claiming the name is "America". And no one has even suggested a surname for the United States of America's citizens, we use Americans to describe ourselves simply because America in the country's name. If we were the United States of Neuling, they would call us full retards.
Indeed, I had not seen the word in in your sentence. My eyes and I were tired after typing the whole day yesterday, no need for insults. In fact, I guess the human eye/mind seems to have trouble regarding it and is side by side. You yourself forgot is in your sentence above. So think twice before you accuse others of being retarded

Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Inferiority Complex. They are jealous of this great nation we call the United States of America. The country that gave the world the automobile, the computer, the Internet, rock n roll, jazz, blues, soul, Motown and City-Data

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM

While I do appreciate Jazz and RnB, the automobile was invented in Europe, and the computer basically as well, Zuse Z3 anyone? I think under the loud exterior Americans are the ones with the inferiority complex, why else would they continue to ignore reality on so many levels...

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
I meant more like being lumped together with US Americans, not confused with literally.

There is a similar situation in German, where for sloppiness most people say Holland for Netherlands, although Holland is just one province of the Netherlands.

Exactly, Brazilians etc. don't refer to themselves as Americans at all. Not because they are not Americans, they are just as much Americans as US Americans are, but because they know US Americans and other people around the world refer to themselves as Americans and thus don't want to be lumped together or confused with them. Plus, they are proud to be Brazilians, Peruvians, etc. in particular.

Interestingly, the name America was originally used for South America only, like in the early 16th century
Neuling, you do realize that you're about 0.01% of the population in this hemisphere that actually has a problem with Americans calling themselves American? 99.99% of the population of North and South America don't give a toss, they have more things to worry about than "United Statesians" calling themselves Americans. By the way, every country in Latin America, except a few like Argentina, call people from the US americanos. The real term in Spanish is estadounidense, but hardly anyone says that on the street. There is also no unifying feeling across the Americas as well. Us Hispanics don't call ourselves americanos in Spanish. We call ourselves argentinos, puertorriqueños, dominicanos, cubanos, mexicanos, etc. We also don't look at ourselves as the "latino community", that's just a US thing

Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Actually, I've never heard a Canadian ever WANTING to call themself an American. Not even a Mexican, either. I think both countries have a pride in calling themselves by their native monikers. While it's perfectly acceptable for all of these groups to call themselves "North Americans", I think they'd rather be called Canadians and Mexicans.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
No need for insults when people disagree or misunderstand your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas