Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 08:33 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times

Advertisements

I'm not one to criticize most examples of what some people would call PC. I think it behooves all of us to be considerate of other people's feelings.

However, we have America in our name and no other country in the Americas does (as mentioned previously). In addition, to use the cliche, possession is 90% of the law. We saw the name, we took the name and now it's ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:38 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Yes, that's fine but that's like saying the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia or South Africa can say they're from Arabia or Africa respectively and of course that's fine. However, it's not exclusive and don't get your knickers in a twist when other countries say they're from America. I've encountered a few that get uncomfortable when someone from outside the States says they're from America. It works both ways.

Saying that though it's not something I care about as I said before people can self-identify as they wish.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:10 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I'm not one to criticize most examples of what some people would call PC. I think it behooves all of us to be considerate of other people's feelings.
Same here... I used to deride people who railed against political correctness... but, there's a difference between common consideration, and trying to neuter language to ensure that there's no way anyone could possibly be offended, in any way, ever, for ever reason, by any interpretation. The contemporary SJW "call out culture" obsession with pointing out microaggressions, identifying privilege, telling people to "educate themselves," and other such nonsense is a great example of this... arbitrary, twee, annoying crap that serves basically no purpose.

This discussion on whether it's "right" for US citizens to refer to themselves as Americans is an outcropping of this excessively-spineless, touchy-feely crap.

You're a Colombian or Brazilian or _____ who doesn't like that Americans call themselves American? Well then, refer to them as whatever you refer to them as in your own language, and when you are speaking English, put on your man pants and call them Americans to avoid looking like an oversensitive, obtuse crybaby. If I speak Spanish or Portugese, I'll use the proper demonym in that language. You don't want to do that? And now, people look at you as such? That's your fault...

Quote:
However, we have America in our name and no other country in the Americas does (as mentioned previously). In addition, to use the cliche, possession is 90% of the law. We saw the name, we took the name and now it's ours.
Basically, yeah.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:34 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
I dont remember if I already replied to this thread, but if it makes you feel happier, in Brazil we also call the citizens of USA americans!!!

But it's very weird to hear "America " for US... and that makes sense, not only because it's the current name of the continent but because the term was primarily used to Brazil area.
Brazil became the name of the portuguese colony and America the name of the continent just years later.
The Naming of America

Old 12-24-2015, 11:37 AM

749 posts, read 856,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
I really don't mind it at all. As it has been stated on the previews threads the most logical answer to that is:

In Portuguese and Spanish; from Alaska all the way to the Patagonia, we all are Americanos. While citizens of the USA are Estadounidenses, easy.

In the English language and elsewhere; Citizens of the USA are Americans, while the rest of us live in/come from The Americas, easy, very easy.

That applies to Portuguese in Brazil only. In African and Portuguese Portuguese the gentilic "Estadounidense" doesn't exist. "American" alone always refers to US American, the rest of the continent goes by either South American or using the country name.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:45 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Wrong diagnosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Sure. America is the name of the New World, N., S., Central America & the Caribbean. (Named after a Florentine explorer, as I recall.) So Mexico, which is also in N. America, could just as easily claim the title of American - & in fact, the name of the country is the United Mexican States.

Yah, we're all Americans, in matter of fact. I prefer the term U.S., or some other more-precise word - because I think saying American - meaning only the US - is sloppy writing. You can see this whenever text refers to the Americas, or to other countries located there - the language suddenly becomes much more precise about the U.S. within the Americas. We've done very well on the World stage, since the 1890s CE. I don't think that entitles us to take the name of the continents as our own. After all, the other landmasses are called Europe or Asia or Africa - not England or China or Egypt.

So maybe it's not an inferiority complex, but an aggrandizement complex?

Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default Re: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Because they tried to invade us once ! Also when travelling people always mistaken us for each other out of ignorance. Very different places on so many levels. It is like comparing apples and oranges .. both have their pros and cons... but they are different.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:22 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes, that's fine but that's like saying the United Arab Emirates or Saudi Arabia or South Africa can say they're from Arabia or Africa respectively and of course that's fine. However, it's not exclusive and don't get your knickers in a twist when other countries say they're from America. I've encountered a few that get uncomfortable when someone from outside the States says they're from America. It works both ways.

Saying that though it's not something I care about as I said before people can self-identify as they wish.
People take this waaaay to seriously. People from the U.S.=Americans, people from all of the Americas=Americans. Whoever chooses to use what is pretty much based on local culture and changes and fluctuates too. And no one is wrong.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:57 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
That applies to Portuguese in Brazil only. In African and Portuguese Portuguese the gentilic "Estadounidense" doesn't exist. "American" alone always refers to US American, the rest of the continent goes by either South American or using the country name.
Every day there's something new to learn, thank you

Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
People take this waaaay to seriously. People from the U.S.=Americans, people from all of the Americas=Americans. Whoever chooses to use what is pretty much based on local culture and changes and fluctuates too. And no one is wrong.
My exact thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas