Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice city is?
São Paulo 16 28.07%
New York 35 61.40%
Mexico City 18 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2016, 02:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

Advertisements

To me if you look at the pictures of all streets they actually don't seem that much different from each other. If you live in a major city none of these photos are really interesting ... just typical and not even the most dense. I would not be interested in visiting any of these places based on those boring pictures. The fun and vibrance and what makes each city unique is what makes me want to visit. I know each of these cities have more interested parts... I am just saying that there are very similar style parts too.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:00 AM

8 posts, read 4,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Latin American megacities are sort of enigmatic to me. I feel the only areas I'd take them over NYC is historic architecture, possibly streetlife, nightlife maybe, and street-food. NYC is a more international and well-rounded city.
Really confused why other westerners constantly pretend like the US is the UAE: it surpassed the UK's current population in the late 1800s.

It has plenty of historic architecture and Brazil, by comparison, does not, or, at least, it has less or equal to the amount of historic architecture the US does.

Sao Paulo has waaaay less historic architecture than NYC. Mexico City has some historic set pieces and removed tribal history, but neither is it more historically architectural a city than NYC.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:03 AM

8 posts, read 4,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
I disagree, a bad neighborhood is a bad neighorhood. An area infested with junkies is dangerous anywhere. There are robberies, drug deals and shootings. The junkies here in the US and Latin America will steal from your property if they live at a walking distance. American junkies tend to be quite agressive too. Besides I don't anyone is thinking of moving to the worst places in those cities, just like no one in their right mind would move to a project in Coney Island or East NY.

Of course there is more crime in Latin America because there is more poverty but don't underestimate the US high crime areas. They are just as bad.
This post really opened my eyes to how insane the anti-Americanism is.

We can't rightly point out that the quality of life in Latin America is much inferior to that in the US - which is absurd, since the US has epitomized the high quality of living the west offers since the 1890s. No, we have to acquiesce to some America-negativist that "the American high crime areas are just as bad as Mexico's or Brazil's". No, they are statistically nowhere near.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:27 PM

424 posts, read 465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braying679 View Post
Mexico City has some historic set pieces and removed tribal history, but neither is it more historically architectural a city than NYC.
Mexico City (CDMX) has an architectural heritage that is very well preserved and far older than anything in New York City.

Remember, CDMX was the largest city in the Americas in 1519, when Spaniards first encountered the Mexica city-state....and CDMX remained the largest city in the Americas until the early 1800s (end of Spanish colonial rule). Thankfully, the historic core was never demolished in favor of high rises or urban renewal in the 20th century. As a result, Mexico City has one of the largest and best preserved historic centers in North and South America.

Below are some historic sites that date to the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries (pre-columbian to colonial eras). These sites are older than what you would find in New York City or even Quebec City for that matter.

^ The Alameda Central - the oldest public park in the Americas, opened in 1592.

^ Academy of San Carlos - the oldest art museum in the Americas, opened in 1781.

^ City Hall (building on the left) - the municipal government has been meeting on this site since 1524. However, the current building was constructed in the 1720s.

^ National Palace - construction was started in 1522, the Spaniards re-used much of the tezontle (volcanic stone from the Mexica palace that once stood on this site) for their new administrative palace.

^ Plaza of the 3 Cultures - this is a great mid century photo (probably taken in the 1960s) of the Tlaltelolco ruins. I think it is a wonderful photo of the pre-columbian, colonial, and modern architecture converging in one space.

^ In 2017, a hotel expansion project was placed on hold when construction workers unearthed an Aztec temple and ceremonial ball court dating from the 1400s. Archaeologists are working to preserve the site.

The city is one of superlatives. It is the oldest capital city in the Americas, one of only two capitals in the Americas founded by indigenous peoples, and the largest city in North America. CDMX is filled with layers and layers of history.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
^^ Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas