Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM

83 posts, read 518,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
ii dont know about Ricans but Dominican culture, language, and food is very African-influence no matter how much they deny it
not according to Antonio who thinks the Caribbean islands are all European and Taino influence with very little African this guy must live under a rock

Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
not according to Antonio who thinks the Caribbean islands are all European and Taino influence with very little African this guy must live under a rock
LOL. I'm half Aruban, we probably have the most Amerindian ancestry then any island and even then its not that much influence.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to swear

But yes here in England there is a significant West Indian population (especially Jamaicans) though this population these days are extremely integrated with some exceptions. There are very few people from the West indies immigranting to the Uk so I think and know the identity/culture is slowly fadding and merging with the Uk society.
West Indians are a proud group hear in England.
Yes, I love England for that...enjoyed my time there. It's a very different experience than the U.S. West Indian culture is all around and certainly much more recognized there. I've heard that the identity is fading more now though. But still, it's nice...

What is it like being non-Jamaican there? Are there many Dominican/Lucians there...and is there a significant Kreyol speaking segment of the population?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Yes they are a few Dominicans and Lucians here. Though kweyol isn't widely heard. Many of West Indians are squattered all around but with large populations in Southeast London (where I live) and parts of west London. Jamaicans are everywhere though LOL!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes they are a few Dominicans and Lucians here. Though kweyol isn't widely heard. Many of West Indians are squattered all around but with large populations in Southeast London (where I live) and parts of west London. Jamaicans are everywhere though LOL!
That I do remember about South London. Jumping off the Tube to get roti on the southwest side...lol. It's probably more similar to how Brooklyn is in terms of how the culture is all around. But generally speaking, in the U.S., we are minorities within minorities...

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM

578 posts, read 963,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Disagree because that would create difficulty in calculating the entire Caribbean community. I agree with the general box or the option under the African and Asian groups etc. for those originating in the Caribbean. Hindus are a religion. Not all Indo-Caribbean people are Hindu

The African-American or black option does need to be expanded in general...at least to a write in box.

Brazilians fall under Latino.
Brazilians are NOT considered Latino according to the Census. Brazilians are may often be included occasionally as part of the Latino umbrella on media and television but they aren't since they speak Portuguese and also because Latino and Hispanic is used for all Spanish speaking Latin American nations.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM

That all really depends. Haitians are both part of Latin America and the Caribbean based on geography. Culturally and historically it has some things in common with other regions of Latin America and the Caribbean.

However Haiti stands out from the rest of Latin America and the Caribbean and is culturally distinct all on it's own.

Haitians are accepted by the other Caribbean peoples but many times they are not. Also Haitian French and Haitian French Creole is very different from the French based Creoles and "patois" languages spoken in the other Caribbean islands. It is nothing like Antillean French Creole.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Recognition? For what? Another identity-politics movement? Census forms don't need an endless barrage of nomenclatures. I'm pretty sure you guys can recognize yourselves.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-07-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
The only time I hear people from Spanish speaking countries refer to themselves as West Indians is if they are descended from West Indians themselves. New York City counts Panamanian black's as West Indian, from what I have been told, but they do not count Costa Rican and Honduran blacks as such, even though most blacks from those countries descend from British West Indians. I have also gotten the same feeling in regards to Spanish speaking countries as well!
Who told you that most blacks in the Spanish speaking countries are descended from English speaking Caribbean regions, because that is totally NOT TRUE at all! Most blacks in the Spanish speaking countries are the descendants of African slaves brought to and enslaved in these Spanish colonized lands as early as and beginning in 1492 and especially during the early 1500s. The first maroon settlements and slave rebellions and uprisings and liberated black communities began in Panama and in lands that were colonized by the Spanish.

The majority of Panamanian blacks are Afro-Hispanics and descendants of the slaves brought to what is now the Republic of Panama. Panama was one of the largest slave colonies and had one of the largest slave populations in the Western Hemisphere. You can find a ton of blacks that are NOT West Indian and have nothing in common with or nothing to do with the West Indies. Panamanian blacks have Spanish names and speak only Spanish. These are the colonial blacks or Afro colonials and they are large and significant and are widespread throughout Panama (PTY)

In Brooklyn New York mainly and some other parts of the USA, many tend to be of West Indian descent because most or very much of the West Indian population and West Indian descendants that passed through Panama decided to settle in the states. Many had been tied to the USA which controlled the now defunct Canal Zone and many West Indians were able to participate in the USA military and obtain U.S. American citizenship through such arrangements. Also you had many xenophobic laws that targeted West Indians, and they were denied citizenship so many fled to other Latin American nations or back to the Caribbean or decided to make the trek to the United States.

It's a very utter and big disrespect but also a misconception that Panamanian blacks are descended from West Indians when the majority of black Panamanians in the Republic of Panama are of colonial Hispanic black origin descent and cultural context.

Panamanians that are of West Indian descent of the older generations in the states may feel a sense of kinship or ties to the West Indies but the newer generations and many sectors of the older generations have virtually assimilated into Panamanian culture and society and they feel very "Panamanian" and "Hispanic".

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I know nobody in this thread is refering to them as West Indians. I grew up in Brooklyn and it seemed most Black Panamanians and Costa Ricans seemed to identify more with British West Indians than they did with other latino groups, heck many of them knew about West Indian culture and food as much as I did. Due to the fact they had ancestors from numerous islands. Especially since most blacks from both countries descend from West Indians(specifically Jamaica and Barbados). Heck, many refereed to themselves as West Indians and often had floats in the West Indian parade. Because of this, Black Panamanians were counted as West Indians in NYC numbers for many years.
That is not true that most blacks in Panama, or the Central American countries are descendants of English speaking Caribbean regions.

There are a ton of Spanish speaking blacks with Spanish names and everything in Panama descended from the African slaves brought to Panama (as well as Colombia, since Panama was a Colombian region and department or province or state until the 20th century aka the 1900s). And they have nothing in common with the West Indians.

Many and probably most of the Panamanians that have been coming to the states are those that are of West Indiam descent since many West Indiams were expelled or forced to leave Panama since the Panamanian government stripped them of Panamanian citizenship throughout most of the 1940s. Then with there association with the Panama Canal and USA they were able to become U.S. Citizens or migrate to the USA. So much of or a vast portion of Panama's West Indian population left Panama.

Panamanians of West Indian descent that live in Panama have been like any regular Panamanians for many generations now.

Also Costa Rica had Spanish colonial era African slaves too and their descendants can still be found in Costa Rica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas