Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 AM

671 posts, read 851,638 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a headache.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,353,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
I have travelled to the UK and spent a while there several years ago. But anyways not to go off topic, but how are the descendants of black people that have been living in Britain since ancient, medieval, and colonial times counted?

Liverpool is said to have the oldest black community in the UK, and Scotland has some old descended black communities as well, so how are they counted in the UK Censuses etc? I'm just curious.

PLondon can weigh in as well.
They're just counted as either Black British Caribbean or Black British African in the UK census as far as I know.

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Liverpool is home to Britain's oldest Black community, dating to at least the 1730s, and some Black Liverpudlians are able to trace their ancestors in the city back ten generations.Early Black settlers in the city included seamen, the children of traders sent to be educated, and freed slaves, since slaves entering the country after 1722 were deemed free men.
Demographic makeup of Liverpool:

91% White
3.0% Asian (South Asian)
2.0% Mixed (0.6% Mixed Black Caribbean and white, 0.4% Mixed Black African and white, 0.5% South Asian and White, other Mixed)
1.9% Black British (O.5% Black Caribbean, 1.1% Black African and 0.3% other Black)

Marginally more Mixed race Black Caribbeans however the census is probably underestimated.

http://www.diversemag.co.uk/race-det...lack-community

Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,501,561 times
Quote:
Race and Ethnicity in the formation of
Panamanian National Identity:

http://cidempanama.org/wp-content/up...rixa_Lasso.pdf

Here is one more important link on Afro-Panamanians and identity and racial and ethnic politics:

http://research.unc.edu/files/2012/11/CCM3_033308.pdf

Begun to read it. Appears that Panama has something in common withe the DR, with the attempts of the elites to justify racism by stigmatizing a foreign group as "black", and finding other ways to ensure that the domestic Afrodescendants are kept at the bottom.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,313,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And who do you define "Caribbean" people as belonging to a unique ethnopolitical and cultural group.

Does a devout Cuban Catholic who is 100% derived from Asturia Spain, belong in the same category as a devout Hindu from Suriname who speaks Sarnami (Surinames Hindi) as his first language?

Let the fun and games begin!
Suriname is not a Caribbean island. Again. If you are including places that have Caribbean Coasts then almost all Central American nations count.

The Caribbean island nations and places share historical similarities often sharing more than one colonial power over different periods of time and lots of migration among each other.

I think that warrants a unique sense of identity.

Again, if you arent challenging the Asian box or the Hispanic/Latino box, then you should have no issues with a Caribbean box.

It's quote akward that someone like yourself who claims to be from Guyana or the Caribbean (if you really even are such) would challenge the idea or motion for a Caribbean box. O_o

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
They're just counted as either Black British Caribbean or Black British African in the UK census as far as I know.

From Wikipedia

Demographic makeup of Liverpool:

91% White
3.0% Asian (South Asian)
2.0% Mixed (0.6% Mixed Black Caribbean and white, 0.4% Mixed Black African and white, 0.5% South Asian and White, other Mixed)
1.9% Black British (O.5% Black Caribbean, 1.1% Black African and 0.3% other Black)

Marginally more Mixed race Black Caribbeans however the census is probably underestimated.

The Liverpool-Born Black Community
Black people have been in Britain since ancient times. I've always wondered why many aspects of society seek to overlook the descendants of the original waves of blacks in Britain and other parts of the UK, that have a unique identity different from those that come from a West Indian or Caribbean type background etc.

Also how are Latin American descent blacks counted in the UK? UK has s lot of Colombians, Brazilians, and Cubans. There are a lot of black people from these countries in the UK?

I also notice that many ppl in UK may not be aware of the existence of black people in so called Latin nations etc.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM

I like the fact that UK gets more specific with it's categories.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,329,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
I'm getting a headache.

You and I.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
You and I.
That's a very good Stevie Wonder song.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Black people have been in Britain since ancient times. I've always wondered why many aspects of society seek to overlook the descendants of the original waves of blacks in Britain and other parts of the UK, that have a unique identity different from those that come from a West Indian or Caribbean type background etc.

Also how are Latin American descent blacks counted in the UK? UK has s lot of Colombians, Brazilians, and Cubans. There are a lot of black people from these countries in the UK?

I also notice that many ppl in UK may not be aware of the existence of black people in so called Latin nations etc.
I don't know how big the so called ancient black community is but it must be small in comparison to the actual Black Caribbean / African communities. Afro-Latin Americans in the UK seem far and few between (as are Latin Americans in general) but they're large populations of them around.
A Black latino would just pick the ''Latin American'' box.

Latin American migration to the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because 1st and 2nd generation most Caribbeans tend to assimilate into the African American community.
If that was the case the NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Miami etc wouldn't hold Caribbean style carnivals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.