Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

West indian is a cultural group within Central America (Belize) South America (Guyana) and the islands. Black Spanish speaking people don't include themselves in that group because its not their culture and they don't relate. This difference doesn't seem to be due to less slaves being transported from Africa to the Spanish islands because Trinidad for example is very mixed and there culture is famously considered Black. It just how the Country Evolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
This is my question. It is obvious that this poster doesn't care to contribute to the subject of the Caribbean-American community. He went on with these extremely long posts about how many slaves colonizers brought and then a set of racial explanation. No one said very much to him at all.
He gave an explanation of his extremely long posts.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
Caribbean Latinos hate their black ancestry, also mestizo means being mixed with european and native american, no Caribbean Latino should be labeling himself that because they are not mixed with European and Native American, sadly I have heard a few Puerto Ricans claim being mestizos with no black ancestry lol
Well honestly, it's fine for them to identify however is comfortable to them. Plenty are mixed, others may be more European or African in background.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM

83 posts, read 517,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post

They call themselves Latinos and that term is original to them, but both the Hispanic and Spanish labels were created by the Americans to refer to the Latinos. The Hispanic label was originally used by the US government and the Spanish label was a colloquial term that Americans used to refer to Puerto Ricans, when they started to migrate in massive numbers in the 1940s. They were referred to as Spanish people, because they were the ones that spoke Spanish. Makes sense. Then it expanded to other Latino groups as they began to migrate to the US too. To differentiate Latinos from natives to Spain, in the US Spanish is more often substituted with Spaniard.
Hispanic has been used in USA and it was first used to describe the mexicans that lived in the Southwest when those areas became part of the USA, the original Hispanics are Americans who have Mexican ancestry like Eva Longoria who has been in this country since Texas used to belong to Mexico

Latino was first coined in Mexico, nowhere near your islands, the original Latinos are Mexicans since French brought that word to Mexico during the French invasion and called Mexicans Latinos, they were the first Latin Americans to be called Latinos and that is when Mexico started to promote the word Latino to unit all Latin American into one word

The term Latin America was supported by the French Empire of Napoleon III during the French invasion of Mexico, as a way to include France among countries with influence in America and to exclude Anglophone countries, and played a role in his campaign to imply cultural kinship of the region with France. The idea was taken up by Latin American intellectuals and political leaders of the mid- and late-nineteenth century, who no longer looked to Spain or Portugal as cultural models, but rather to France.

So you are wrong to say Caribbean Hispanics can call themselves Latino because the term is original to them, FALSE, the term is original to the Mexican population since it was coined there and introduce to the rest of you thanks to them

Quote:
Hm, some of them seem to be like that. They do that the whole 'La Raza' thing going, which is precisely pride for being of Latino descent, especially Mexican/Central American, because from those places is that most of the Latino population on the west coast originates from. Mexican Americans also have plenty of pride in calling themselves Chicanos and would take offense if someone refers to them as Mexicans. Chicanos are Latinos of Mexican descent that feel they are an integral part of the US that has been discriminated, especially in southern California. They take a role more or less similar to African Americans, who often feel they are Americans and native to the US, but they have been discriminated for so long that they also feel that they are a separate from the mainstream.
Not true, Chicano means Mexican-American lol they take offense if you confuse them for anything else other than Mexican, Chicanos do not like being called Latinos, dont even go to a Chicano cholo and tell him he is a Latino because he will break your neck, he will correct you and tell you they are Mexican-Americans or even Aztecs

Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes, but see my perception of what the Spanish/French/British did in terms of bringing people is somewhat separate from the actual ethnic makeup of the islands. There are other groups that have come along in some of these places that have mixed in. Then in Hispanic islands, there were more Europeans who remained and mixed. Regardless, they are still Hispanic/Latino. So he misunderstood my point and went off on long tangents.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM

83 posts, read 517,968 times
Quote:
Well honestly, it's fine for them to identify however is comfortable to them. Plenty are mixed, others may be more European or African in background.
plenty are mixed but they take more pride in their Taino native american ancestry than black when they are more black than native american it find it disgusting

i am more mixed than the average Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican and I still claim my black ancestry

Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
plenty are mixed but they take more pride in their Taino native american ancestry than black when they are more black than native american it find it disgusting

i am more mixed than the average Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican and I still claim my black ancestry
Well, to each his or her own. Maybe that was the thrust of his posts, but that's his fault for making assumptions. Everyone is not as racial as he is. I personally believe in heritage & culture, not so-called race.

Good for you for identifying with all of your heritage.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
West indian is a cultural group within Central America (Belize) South America (Guyana) and the islands. Black Spanish speaking people don't include themselves in that group because its not their culture and they don't relate. This difference doesn't seem to be due to less slaves being transported from Africa to the Spanish islands because Trinidad for example is very mixed and there culture is famously considered Black. It just how the Country Evolved.
Fair enough, although I did stated before that Trinidad and Tobago is an anomaly within the British islands. I also think the less amount of slaves did contributed to having a much more European cultural balance in the Spanish Caribbean. Considering that in Cuba is where the African strain is not just stronger, but also the black population is much closer to its African roots; and the fact that Cuba was the one that received the most number of African slaves within the Spanish Caribbean, can't be overlooked. Then we look at the rest of the British and French islands with their stronger African influence and their larger absorption of slaves, can't also be overlooked.

Trinidad and Tobago is very much an anomaly, but in general, what I stated holds for most of the British Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London
I do have a tendency to write long posts. Sorry about that.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Fair enough, although I did stated before that Trinidad and Tobago is an anomaly within the British islands. I also think the less amount of slaves did contributed to having a much more European cultural balance in the Spanish Caribbean. Considering that in Cuba is where the African strain is not just stronger, but also the black population is much closer to its African roots; and the fact that Cuba was the one that received the most number of African slaves within the Spanish Caribbean, can't be overlooked. Then we look at the rest of the British and French islands with their stronger African influence and their larger absorption of slaves, can't also be overlooked.

Trinidad and Tobago is very much an anomaly, but in general, what I stated holds for most of the British Caribbean.

I do have a tendency to write long posts. Sorry about that.
More Europeans came and remain in the Spanish-speaking islands and the difference in the way the Spanish conducted affairs there allowed for more mixing. The reasons for differences are more than one.

Yes, Trinidad & Tobago is different...as is the Cayman Islands and Guyana. However, our ethnic differences do not necessarily prevent us from relating to those in other islands. Thus, this thread...

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
This is precisely to what I was referring to. The Spanish islands retained a much greater Taino influence than did the British/French islands and less of the African influence, despite the racial mixture demographics. The history of slavery explains this difference, as well as the fact that in Cuba is where greater pride in African culture is shown among the three Spanish islands. The fact that Cuba was the Spanish island that received the most slaves and also the one where the African cultural strain is the strongest, can't also be overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie
But I bet that culturally you are also much more black than either are Dominicans, Cubans or Puerto Rican blacks. The much closer resemblance is probably with black Cubans, I think; but history explains that too. At the end of the day, people's heritage references depends more on cultural affinities than on the degree of racial mixtures, although I remember reading that the average mixed person in the three Spanish countries tend to have higher European and Taino admixture than is typical in the rest of the islands, minus perhaps a handful of anomalies.

Anyway, folks, I'm simply reacting to the posts people are making here regarding these topics.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
More Europeans came and remain in the Spanish-speaking islands and the difference in the way the Spanish conducted affairs there allowed for more mixing. The reasons for differences are more than one.
Most migrated to Cuba, less so to Puerto Rico and much less to Dominican Republic. Also, in all three countries its suspected that Taino DNA is greater preserved in the mixed population as well compared to other parts of the Caribbean. So far, this has been confirmed in the Dominican Republic and in Puerto Rico, but I'm not aware of any DNA test-based studies on the Cuban population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll
Yes, Trinidad & Tobago is different...as is the Cayman Islands and Guyana. However, our ethnic differences do not necessarily prevent us from relating to those in other islands. Thus, this thread...
I never denied or questioned that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas