Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times

Advertisements

1. New York vs. Sao Paulo
New York, no contest.

2. Rio de Janiero vs. Los Angeles
Los Angeles, because Rio is too expensive in safe areas. And los angeles got beaches too.

3. Chicago vs. Belo Horizonte
Chicago, no contest

4. Brasilia vs. Washington D.C.
DC, no contest. Brasilia is extremly boring.

5. Salvador vs. New Orleans
I think I must let Brazil win on this one. At least Salvador has nice beaches. New Orleans is still a mess after the hurricane.

6. Miami vs. Recife
Miami, no contest.

7. Curitiba vs. Portland (Oregon)
Portland, easy.

8. San Diego vs. Florianopolis
Florianopolis is a nice city, but San Diego is nicer,

9. San Francisco vs. Porto Alegre
Porto Alegre, rent is too expensive in San Fransisco and the the city is too cold.

10. Manuas vs. Denver
Denver, absolutly no contest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I've lived in both. I liked both a lot, but New York City.

I stayed in in Rio for 2 months, and only visited L.A. I'd like to spend a couple months in L.A. to really know, it's a wash. Both are too interesting, and too amazing to dismiss.

Belo Horizonte.

Washington DC. I hated Brasilia.

I really love New Orleans, but I'd take Salvador over New Orleans. But JUST barely.

6. Miami vs. Recife
ANOTHER TOUGH ONE! Again, both are great cities! Argh, Miami, but JUST BARELY.

7. Curitiba vs. Portland (Oregon)
Portland, Oregon. But I liked Curitiba a lot too. Ah, I'll stick with the Portland one.

ARGH! Another great comparison. I didn't get a chance to visit Florianapolis, and I do know San Diego. I SHOULD say San Diego because I know it and I know it's great. Yet, I'll choose Florianapolis.

Ah, San Francisco, only because Porto Alegre is one of the very few cities in Brazil that doesn't interest me a whole lot - for no particular reason.

10. Manuas vs. Denver
Manaus.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 AM

195 posts, read 440,981 times
Some threads are so funny...This is one of them...But you're right about Salvador-New Orleans ( But Belem could match too). I would change Chicago to Pittsburgh ( iron ore in BH and coal in Pitts). Rio is a mix of San Fran and LA, no doubt but...Denver-Manaus?!!! No, I think you're completely wrong...Maybe Goiânia could match.( I think only Brasilia could be called Mile High City in Brazil )

Sampa vs New York. NYC no doubt. If the world has a capital this capital is NYC

Chicago vs BH BH...I was born there

Brasilia vs Washington Brasilia ( it is becoming better every year ), and no, it's not in the ''middle of nowhere'', not anymore.

Salvador vs New Orleans I think the cities has almost the same flavor, but I go with Salvador, Brazilian first capital.

Miami vs Recife God Recife, no doubt at all!! Recife is gorgeous ( despite the sharks ). Its rivers, bridges ( called Brazilian Venice ) and beaches are beautiful!

Curitiba vs Portland Portland. Curitiba has no personality.

San Diego vs Floripa I think both cities...

San Fran vs POA...God!!! San Francisco one of the most beautiful cities in the Americas, certainly!

Manaus vs Denver Manaus. Just like Curitiba, Denver has no personality...

Last edited by antma robel; 12-11-2013 at 04:25 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Comparing top tier US cities like NYC, LA, SF etc. with Brazilian cities is not fair.
This thread needs cities like Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte and Cincinnati.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Comparing top tier US cities like NYC, LA, SF etc. with Brazilian cities is not fair.
This thread needs cities like Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte and Cincinnati.
Depends on a person's interests though. I'm about 50/50 with US vs Brazilian cities with the selection given.

If it was Brazilian versus Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte and Cincinnati; then I'd be almost 100% for any Brazilian city!!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Living and Visiting...

6. Miami vs. Recife
7. Curitiba vs. Portland
10. Manuas vs. Denver

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Which American cities can we compare Fortaleza, Belem, Goiania, Natal, Cuiaba and Vitoria with?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Depends on a person's interests though. I'm about 50/50 with US vs Brazilian cities with the selection given.

If it was Brazilian versus Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte and Cincinnati; then I'd be almost 100% for any Brazilian city!!
You rather live in Belem, Maceio, Macapa, Porto Velho and Rio Branco than in Austin, KC, Indy, Charlotte and Cincy

Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You rather live in Belem, Maceio, Macapa, Porto Velho and Rio Branco than in Austin, KC, Indy, Charlotte and Cincy
I thought you were implying that we should be comparing large Brazilian cities with second-rate US cities.

If you're just extending the list down the line further....than I'd continue with a mix of 50/50 depending on which two metros.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM

195 posts, read 440,981 times
Quote:
Which American cities can we compare Fortaleza, Belem, Goiania, Natal, Cuiaba and Vitoria with?
Fortaleza-Honolulu
Belém-New Orleans
Goiânia( Brazilian country music capital )-Nashville
Natal- None that I can think. The US has few beach cities
Cuiabá-Kansas City(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas