Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times

Advertisements

Can somebody tell me which Caribbean and Latin groups tend to be successful IN THE UNITED STATES and which tend to have a harder time on average?

A few months ago, i've read that Cubans, Trinidadians, Peruvians, Costa Ricans, Bajans(Barbados) and Chileans tend to be more successful in America on average compared to other Latin&Caribbean groups. Based on my experiences, this seems to be true. Most individuals that I know of in these groups fall into the middle class ranges.

While Mexicans, Haitians, Salvadorians and Dominicans in America tend to be less successful on average. Based on my experiences, this seems to be true as well.

Would you say that this is generally correct. You can use personal experiences and/or sources to back yourself up. Normally I use sources when making such statements but I can't find the website that I read a while back.

Last edited by Guidance100; 05-30-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Uruguay and Argentina send people who are prone to be business owners and to do well in the USA (whether legally immigrated or not). Although generally people from Uruguay go to Spain and not the USA.

Some of the Caribbean countries send a lot of welfare recipients, but that doesn't mean there are not successful business people from those countries.

I wouldn't say that Mexican immigrants are less successful. Legally immigrated Mexican nationals are often business owners, or hold decent jobs.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Not sure that we have enough information on the success of each ethnicity to really make sure statements. It does appear that the groups you mentioned as being successful do generally seem to be so...

Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Cubans tend to be successful because of the preferential treatment they get from immigration. They don't have to jump hurdle their Latino peers have to endure.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
The Caribbean Hispanics tend to do very well. Even Dominicans, who tend to be poorer on arrival, for the most part close the education and and most of the income gap with whites within a generation. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are very integrated in America. This past decade even more so.

Caribbean blacks I can't say the same about. There are a lot of Haitians where I come from (South Florida) and they seem to live in poverty for generations. The Bahamians I have met don't do so well either. I have heard that Jamaicans do better in America, and I can only think of a handful to compare them to, but the examples I think of are good ones.

As for the mainland Latin America, I think they all do pretty well. The only ones that lag a bit are Mexicans but even them it just takes a generation or two longer.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The Caribbean Hispanics tend to do very well. Even Dominicans, who tend to be poorer on arrival, for the most part close the education and and most of the income gap with whites within a generation. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are very integrated in America. This past decade even more so.

Caribbean blacks I can't say the same about. There are a lot of Haitians where I come from (South Florida) and they seem to live in poverty for generations. The Bahamians I have met don't do so well either. I have heard that Jamaicans do better in America, and I can only think of a handful to compare them to, but the examples I think of are good ones.

As for the mainland Latin America, I think they all do pretty well. The only ones that lag a bit are Mexicans but even them it just takes a generation or two longer.
It could be a regional thing since the Black middle class (regardless of origin) in South Florida is extremely weak compared to other regions. Most blacks living there with prospects move to Atlanta where they have much more opportunities.

Here in NYC, most of the Caribbean Blacks that I know of seem to be employed in lower middle class things like medical assistants/nurses aides/home healthcare assistants(women), taxi drivers, security guards, etc. So they don't tend to be "well-off" but tend to be reasonably stable and able to support their families.

The hispanic Latin Americans first generation immigrants tend to do the "stereotypical" hard labor and low-level service jobs(ex.housecleaning) but a lot of their 2nd generation children have a lot of motivation to succeed and do well in life. I graduated from a Community College and i've met a lot of 2nd generation Latin American students in the Accounting program taking massive courseloads in hopes to have a thriving career. I can't speak of personal experience with Mexicans since there really aren't that many in the northeast.

As for the hispanic Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (regardless of generation in America), I find that a lot of them get caught up in the "thug life"; especially areas ones from inner-cities like the Bronx.

Last edited by Guidance100; 06-04-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:

LOL. It actually appears to be more so the opposite. West Indians tend to do quite well, maybe with exception of Haitians, with African (black), Indian or other backgrounds. West Indians are actually overrepresented at the nation's elite institutions.

Evelyn Hsieh: Following Obama, Students Define "Black" on Ivy League Campuses

Not sure the same can be said for Caribbean Hispanics, expect maybe with the exception of Cubans.

Note here that the poverty levels for Dominicans, Cubans and Haitians is significantly higher than that of Jamaicans and Trinidadians. That's properly partially due to language barriers.

Quote:
The share of Caribbean born living in poverty varies significantly by country of origin. Almost one quarter (24.4 percent) of Dominican immigrants lived in poverty, compared to 19.1 percent of Haitians, 16.7 percent of Cubans, 11.2 percent of Jamaicans, and 11.1 percent of persons born in Trinidad and Tobago.
Migration Information Source - Caribbean Immigrants in the United States

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 06-05-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
LOL. It actually appears to be more so the opposite. West Indians tend to do quite well, maybe with exception of Haitians, with African (black), Indian or other backgrounds. West Indians are actually overrepresented at the nation's elite institutions.

Evelyn Hsieh: Following Obama, Students Define "Black" on Ivy League Campuses

Not sure the same can be said for Caribbean Hispanics, expect maybe with the exception of Cubans.

Note here that the poverty levels for Dominicans, Cubans and Haitians is significantly higher than that of Jamaicans and Trinidadians. That's properly partially due to language barriers.

Migration Information Source - Caribbean Immigrants in the United States
Your first link was good. I am aware that the descendants of recent immigrant arrivals from the Carribbean and Africa are disproportionately found in Ivy League schools. Your link focused mostly on African immigrants though.

The second link doesn't talk about the success of the second generation that is actually born and raised in America. Immigrants from all backgrounds are often over represented in poverty upon arrival. The important statistic is how their children and grandchildren turn out.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
It could be a regional thing since the Black middle class (regardless of origin) in South Florida is extremely weak compared to other regions. Most blacks living there with prospects move to Atlanta where they have much more opportunities.

Here in NYC, most of the Caribbean Blacks that I know of seem to be employed in lower middle class things like medical assistants/nurses aides/home healthcare assistants(women), taxi drivers, security guards, etc. So they don't tend to be "well-off" but tend to be reasonably stable and able to support their families.

The hispanic Latin Americans first generation immigrants tend to do the "stereotypical" hard labor and low-level service jobs(ex.housecleaning) but a lot of their 2nd generation children have a lot of motivation to succeed and do well in life. I graduated from a Community College and i've met a lot of 2nd generation Latin American students in the Accounting program taking massive courseloads in hopes to have a thriving career. I can't speak of personal experience with Mexicans since there really aren't that many in the northeast.

As for the hispanic Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (regardless of generation in America), I find that a lot of them get caught up in the "thug life"; especially areas ones from inner-cities like the Bronx.
You know, I live in Tampa and I know a LOT of Puerto Rican and Dominicans who moved here from New York. In fact......Omg every single one of them is from New York (just on my team, there are three Puerto Ricans and two Dominicans. All of them moved to Tampa from New York). I think the good ones from the stock might be moving down to Florida. All of the five that I work with are awesome. lol.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Your first link was good. I am aware that the descendants of recent immigrant arrivals from the Carribbean and Africa are disproportionately found in Ivy League schools. Your link focused mostly on African immigrants though.

The second link doesn't talk about the success of the second generation that is actually born and raised in America. Immigrants from all backgrounds are often over represented in poverty upon arrival. The important statistic is how their children and grandchildren turn out.
The first link at least makes the point that both are over-represented. The second link may not speak about the second generation but those are the homes that the children are growing up in. Unfortunately, this country is so focused on so-called race that they don't seem to follow West Indian-Americans as much. However, your post specifically spoke about "first generation immigrants"/"on arrival" so just pointing out the one should actually be informed about other ethnic groups before you speak of them. It ended up that the West Indian groups mentioned - among whom you claimed didn't do as well as Caribbean Hispanics - actually do better than them in terms of affluence.

But yes, in terms of African immigrants (and seemingly their children), they do far better than West Indians and Latinos...especially the Nigerians. The only people who rank with them in terms of performance are Indians (Asian).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas