Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Anglo Caribbean 27 40.91%
French Caribbean 16 24.24%
Spanish Caribbean 23 34.85%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

How about a nice aloo pie, bake and shark, and fish tea? So much good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,307 times
French Caribbean is not only Haïti.
The food in Martinique or Guadeloupe is not the same.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,107 times
I've been dying to try bake and shark for the longest time. Does anyone know restaurants in Toronto (I'm talking to you Edward) that sells it? Most Trini restaurants just sells Roti and Doubles.

Back to the topic- I'm another one for Anglo-Caribbean, yeah I'm bias! I can eat Marconi pie all day.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:06 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I've been dying to try bake and shark for the longest time. Does anyone know restaurants in Toronto (I'm talking to you Edward) that sells it? Most Trini restaurants just sells Roti and Doubles.

Back to the topic- I'm another one for Anglo-Caribbean, yeah I'm bias! I can eat Marconi pie all day.
Drupati's in Scarborough was the only place I could track down in TO that had it, but only as an occasional special. It was decent, nothing special but will do the trick. Call ahead and see which days each month they are serving it.

I have no idea why the Roti Shops in TO dont step outside the Roti, Doubles and Palourie box. There is alot of good Roti in TO though.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Drupati's in Scarborough was the only place I could track down in TO that had it, but only as an occasional special. It was decent, nothing special but will do the trick. Call ahead and see which days each month they are serving it.

I have no idea why the Roti Shops in TO dont step outside the Roti, Doubles and Palourie box. There is alot of good Roti in TO though.

Thanks, I heard about Drupati's. I was hoping you knew some other places with a secret menu or something.

After I posted, I stumbled across this video

Street Eats 106 Trinidad - Shark & Bake - YouTube

I can't believe I don't remember this episode, I use to watch this show religious when it was on the air. However it doesn't look like this restaurant is in business anymore.But I'll check it out when I'm back in TO.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,288,028 times
^^^^^^^

Never even heard of this place either, a shame they went out of business. Good find!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post

I'm having that today.

Yesterday was Stewed chicken with sweet potato with LOADS off gravy/sauce yum

Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM

308 posts, read 500,245 times
You left out Dutch Caribbean and Danish Caribbean.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM

This is so hard to choose. I love them all. To be honest all regions of the Caribbean share the same food and culinary traditions with each nation having at least one or a few dishes that are distinctly traditionally rooted from each respective nation.

The food of Jamaica, Barbados, Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda, and the British Virgin Islands is more reflective of English Caribbean food as those nations have strong rooted populations that are more heavily Brittanicized and Anglicized.

Nations and places like Dominica, Trinidad, St. Lucia, Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Kitts have histories and cultures that are more rooted in a French and Latin Caribbean style. Also lots of French patois and French creole cultures in those places. All of these nations have more in common and almost identical to Martinique, Guadeloupe, and French St Martin etc. Therefore the food differs in these nations and places from other English speaking nations and regions. Haiti differs from every other Caribbean nation in many ways given it's unique unique history.

Last edited by ParadigmizedFactions; 09-29-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 04:15 AM

I absolutely love oxtail roti and pilouri balls with all with seasoned hot pepper sauce and tamarind sauce. Oh and I love to have it with a Ting grapefruit carbonated beverage drink.

I also cannot forget Accra titiri, bacalao and beef patties and Pelau and fritura.

Cuchifritos are so good. Y'all have to go to a cuchifritos place. They serve all traditional Puerto Rican foods as well as the extensive fried goods.

Oh gosh, I'm getting hungry! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas