Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Anglo Caribbean 27 40.91%
French Caribbean 16 24.24%
Spanish Caribbean 23 34.85%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,691 times

Advertisements

Trinidad has some of the best food in the Caribbean. Influenced by just about every culture and group imaginable. Just delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,300,998 times
I'll go with Anglo Caribbean food. Especially because of the large Indian influence in Caribbean cuisine. I love me some Curried Goat, Chicken

Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
I'm curious if there's anything particularly distinct about French Caribbean/Haitian cuisine that differentiates from other Caribbean cuisine. I'd say that for much English Caribbean cuisine, it seems like there's everything the other two have but also has a noticeably stronger Indian/South Asian component as well as generally stronger and more liberal use of spices and chilies (and to me, seems to have much more variety in vegetables as well). Also, are there any strong notable differences among the major three Spanish Caribbean cuisines (Cuban, DR, PR)?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM

728 posts, read 975,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm curious if there's anything particularly distinct about French Caribbean/Haitian cuisine that differentiates from other Caribbean cuisine. I'd say that for much English Caribbean cuisine, it seems like there's everything the other two have but also has a noticeably stronger Indian/South Asian component as well as generally stronger and more liberal use of spices and chilies (and to me, seems to have much more variety in vegetables as well). Also, are there any strong notable differences among the major three Spanish Caribbean cuisines (Cuban, DR, PR)?
Haitian Cuisine has commonalities with Dominican and Cuban Cuisine. I don't think Haitian cuisine is very similar to Anglo Caribbean cuisine besides plantains, beef and goat(?).

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I voted Anglo Caribbean, but Spanish Caribbean is a very, very close second!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 AM

98 posts, read 112,181 times
The best and most varied by far is Cuban cuisine, mostly due to the large number of different influences such as Chinese, Indian, Spanish, African, Jewish, American and German. Also the oldest, since the island has been producing dishes consistently during the last 450 years, not counting Taino foods still surviving. Also size, Cuba is very large by Caribbean standards and has many climates and subclimates, to tropical to subtropical, 1200 islands. The harbour of Havana, in operation during the last 450 years, has brought cuisines and products from everywhere.

There's a common link unifying all Caribbean cuisines, the stew, "olla podrida", the food prepared for slaves, also the buncan, Taino food copied by pirates, etc.

Problem with Cuban cuisine is that practically disappeared during the last 55 years of communism, in which lands were confiscated and people issued wuth rationing cards. The cuisine did not transplant well to Miami, and in Cuba they are making efforts to revive the past, sometimes pathetic efforts since some Cuban dishes have even disappeared from the memory of most people.

A similar thing happened in the USSR, before communism, Russian Cuisine was very rich and well known, the best restaurants, the most expensive, were Russian.

Now there are some fine Cuban restaurants, even in the island. For the first time in almost half a century, there are good private restaurants..even though supplies are limited due to state-owned economy.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:03 AM

There's no such thing as Spanish Caribbean cuisine, since the cuisine of every island is very different. I suppose that the same happens in the lesser antilles.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Cuban food is varied, but most varied? Not when you look at the other islands. But give me some pastelitos any day!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Macaroni pie!

Macaroni pie!

Macaroni pie!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Cuban food is varied, but most varied? Not when you look at the other islands. But give me some pastelitos any day!

Much, much varied...just by sheer size and history. Pastelitos are Cuban, and I guess that they also belong to many countries. Cuban cooking is so varied that includes variations of Cantonese, Jamaican, Jewish, German, American and many regional Spanish dishes, plus Taino and Cajun.

And also the food prepared for slaves, the stews and ollas podridas, and the food coming in ships that sailors loved, such as dried meat or tasajo...

But of course, the best food is the one that prepares your mother!!!

Cubans will have to work very hard to recover their cuisine, there were generations that grew up not knowing the taste of chicken, beef, etc. They only knew what was on the rationing card...."chicharos (hard peas) with rice".

I believe that the best cook in Cuba, Erasmo, Castro's cook, died. He did a lot to recover Cuban cuisine.

Last edited by Papus; 05-12-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas