Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Anglo Caribbean 27 40.91%
French Caribbean 16 24.24%
Spanish Caribbean 23 34.85%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:01 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papus View Post
Much, much varied...just by sheer size and history. Pastelitos are Cuban, and I guess that they also belong to many countries. Cuban cooking is so varied that includes variations of Cantonese, Jamaican, Jewish, German, American and many regional Spanish dishes, plus Taino and Cajun.

And also the food prepared for slaves, the stews and ollas podridas, and the food coming in ships that sailors loved, such as dried meat or tasajo...

But of course, the best food is the one that prepares your mother!!!

Cubans will have to work very hard to recover their cuisine, there were generations that grew up not knowing the taste of chicken, beef, etc. They only knew what was on the rationing card...."chicharos (hard peas) with rice".

I believe that the best cook in Cuba, Erasmo, Castro's cook, died. He did a lot to recover Cuban cuisine.
Homecooked is always the best food.

I am sure that the cuisine will be recovered. Certainly different recipes lie with.different families. Here a few, there a few. Food is connected to the heart of every culture. It will come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Macaroni pie!

Macaroni pie!

Macaroni pie!
Going to make some this weekend. Been craving calaloo too...

Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 PM

469 posts, read 577,378 times
Too much rice and beans in all of them. Mexican for the win!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Too much rice and beans in all of them. Mexican for the win!
Ummmm...you must not know Caribbean food. LOL

Old 05-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Ummmm...you must not know Caribbean food. LOL
Nah, we don't have much of that in South Florida.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Nah, we don't have much of that in South Florida.
LOLOL...you should know better if you live in South Florida. Either that or you only eat certain Spanish Caribbean food.

Couldn't be that exposed to the Anglo or French side...

Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
LOLOL...you should know better if you live in South Florida. Either that or you only eat certain Spanish Caribbean food.

Couldn't be that exposed to the Anglo or French side...
You are correct in that I have more experience with the Spanish Caribbean cuisine. I did have a lot of Haitian classmates when I was in tech school and they would often times bring their lunch with them and it was almost always rice with some form of legume, occasionally some type of meat, usually chicken. That's been my experience with the French side.

I picked Anglo as my favorite of the three because I like the curries they use and the food overall is more flavorful to me...still a lot of rice and beans though.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Going to make some this weekend. Been craving calaloo too...
I recently decided to cut out cheese/milk etc I sure miss macaroni pie. Callaloo is heaven!

Quote:
You are correct in that I have more experience with the Spanish Caribbean cuisine. I did have a lot of Haitian classmates when I was in tech school and they would often times bring their lunch with them and it was almost always rice with some form of legume, occasionally some type of meat, usually chicken. That's been my experience with the French side.

I picked Anglo as my favorite of the three because I like the curries they use and the food overall is more flavorful to me...still a lot of rice and beans though.
You can go weeks and not eat rice and peas.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You can go weeks and not eat rice and peas.
I didn't realize it was so uncommon to eat rice and legumes in Caribbean cuisines. I guess I just have out of the ordinary friends and acquaintances.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
It's not out of the ordinary but eating rice and legumes is normally a sunday affair.

Rice however is eaten every other day some islands are more dependent on it while other islands focus more on yams, sweet potatoes, dashin and flour dumplings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas