U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Anglo Caribbean 27 42.19%
French Caribbean 15 23.44%
Spanish Caribbean 22 34.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM

30,776 posts, read 29,714,376 times

Advertisements

These all share a lot of similarities and internally there are differences, but there is a rough grouping that can be made for these three. Of these, which do you prefer? What are your favorite dishes?

For me, Anglo Caribbean cuisine seems a lot more varied than the other two. I think the more varied mix of African, Amerind, European, Indian and Chinese influence has something to do with it, as the resulting cuisine takes a lot from many different cuisines while keeping a unique coherency. The seasoning in anglo caribbean cuisine generally seems a lot more adventurous and the variety of ingredients seems to be much greater.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 AM

13,512 posts, read 4,424,450 times
Definitely the "Anglo" Caribbean for the same reasons you mention. There is so much variation and flavor.

My favorite dishes are curry potatoes/channa and paratha roti. Pelau, macaroni pie with some plantain. Calalloo & rice (or cou cou).

Of course, there are quicker foods I love like doubles and fry bake...and then of course, desserts.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM

I also love a good patty which I prefer to most variations of empanada.

Then there are some great dishes that come out of left field like ackee and saltfish.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,571,210 times
Anglo for me as well. Mainly because it is what I grew up eating, so the more obscure dishes I am familiar with and that adds to the variety of the cuisine. I am sure that if I grew up in a Spanish or French speaking Caribbean family my answer may be different, but its tough the beat the variety available in the English West Indies.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I also love a good patty which I prefer to most variations of empanada
Which type of Patties do you prefer? Jamaican or Haitian? Jamaican for me, but Haitian are a close second.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Which type of Patties do you prefer? Jamaican or Haitian? Jamaican for me, but Haitian are a close second.
Jamaican. The Haitian ones I've had were a bit too greasy, but that might be specific to just the places I bought them. I'll give them another go if I come across stuff.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM

9,992 posts, read 11,144,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Haitian patties?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jamaican. The Haitian ones I've had were a bit too greasy, but that might be specific to just the places I bought them. I'll give them another go if I come across stuff.
Yeah I have gotten some greasy ones in the past as well. The good ones will be perfectly flaky though, no greasy taste. Definitely give them another try. With that said though, I still prefer a good Jamaican patty to a Haitian one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Haitian patties?
Yup. I actually came across some from a vendor in Brixton Market a few months back, check them out.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,737,864 times
What is Haitian food similar to? I am shocked I have never come across it as I am from South Florida which has a large Haitian population. I will seek out a restaurant next time I am in Naples if it looks good.

I do enjoy Jamaican cuisine. Especially their various dishes with goat. I also really enjoy Spanish Caribbean cuisine. Especially Puerto Rican cuisine because of all the shellfish involved in the cooking.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM

9,992 posts, read 11,144,371 times
My best dish is Stew chicken, curry chicken, doubles, Macronie pie, Jerk chicken, pigtail/kidney beans soup, the list goes on and on and on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas