U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM

518 posts, read 945,103 times

Advertisements

The island became an American territory in 1898. Its about the size of Connecticutt, the island of Cyprus or Lebanon. Its twice tha size of Rd Island and Delaware.

About 89% + don't speak English. They have full participation in the Olympic games and Miss Universe contests without identifying with the U.S. Its poorer than the poorest state , Mississippi, however all have been American citizens since 1917!

As of recently statehood feelings have been on the rise BUT Puerto Ricans want a "special state". Spanish will remain the first langauge, with English a very distant second. They alledge this is possible because there is nothing in the U.S. Constitution about language. 60% are dependent on food stamps and other Federal give-aways, and if it ever it's allowed to become a state the island will have more political representation than 27 states because of population, 3.7 million.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-21-2013, 01:23 PM

15,454 posts, read 14,056,049 times
No, it should become a country. I wouldn't be opposed to some form of "union" with the United States for passport, currency, etc. similar to the European Union.

Same for Guam and Samoa.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,958,628 times
I believe that most states that were added to the Union after the original 13 somehow indicated that they wanted to become states, perhaps through votes in their territorial legislatures that produced proposed state constitutions. The Puerto Rican people haven't done that, so the entire question is moot at this time.

FYI -
  • The only US territory that was denied admission as a state because of its customs was Utah. I believe that the Mormon church banned polygamy so that Utah would be admitted.
  • At the time of Louisiana's admission to statehood, most Louisianans spoke either French or Spanish as their first language.
  • At the time of California's admission to statehood, most Californians were Spanish speakers. Moreover, most had been born Mexican citizens or Spanish subjects.
  • Most of Oklahoma's residents at statehood were probably at least part Native American.
  • At the time of New Mexico's admission to statehood, and probably until some time well after WW II, most New Mexicans were native Spanish speakers. New Mexico was admitted to the Union as officially bilingual in 1912 and remained so until 1953.
  • Hawaii is officially bilingual with English and Hawaiian being the official languages.
So, what chaps your buttocks more? That the Puerto Ricans are Spanish speaking? That they're poor? That they'd have more representation in Congress than residents of Alaska, Delaware, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Wyoming, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Nebraska, New Mexico, West Virginia, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Nevada or Utah?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM

518 posts, read 945,103 times
Although language might not be an important aspect for you since you might think Puerto Ricans speak a kind of patois which hardly anyone understands, and why keep it. However Puerto Rico is not Hawaii, New Mexico or California where Spanish was eventually wiped out. It's been 115 years and hardly anyone speaks English.

Although Hawaii is making a futile attempt to conserve the rapidy dying Hawaiian language and New Mexico has Spanish in its state constitution, but when was the last time anything was debated in Spanish in Santa Fe? Quebec, Cataluña or Flemish Belgium might be a better analogy. Maintaining Spanish might precisely be why many on the island are skeptical of statehood. Statehooders on the island know that they must take Congress as fools telling them we'll become a bilingual state, but don't hold your breath on that one.

In all the cases you've mentioned Spanish was wiped out by the second generation, but of course you might say, well its America, we speak English and that's what makes us exceptional.

With Puerto Rico Congress is dealing with a different creature, not a territory full of Anglos and a couple of Indians. The U.S. is Monolingual, and it intends to prevail. Adding Puerto Rico as a state will immediately make the U.S. into a multilingual nation meaning large portions of its population will never assimilate to become gringos, and that is the big difference.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM

18,668 posts, read 10,983,312 times
No. It would be too difficult to design a flag with 51 stars.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

18,077 posts, read 16,531,873 times
You mean requiring Puerto Rico to contribute to the system instead of remaining almost entirely dependent on it? Won't happen. They are getting a sweet deal right now, and there isn't enough motivation to carry their own weight.

Personally, I believe they should have been given their independence long ago, whether they wanted it or not. They are like the 35 year old child living in their parent's basement. Time to leave the nest and forge their own way in this world.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,977,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
however all have been American citizens since 1917!
I think that this part was a gimmick to get many Puerto Ricans to go enlist to fight in World War I.

In regards to this question, if the people there genuinely want to become a U.S. state, and if it is possible to teach English to the overwhelming majority of them, then Yes, it should. After all, we've already controlled them for 115 years by this point in time. Not even the oldest living American person right now is 115+ years old.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,023 times
I don't see why Puerto Rico shouldn't and I generally am an expansionist, so definitely for statehood for PR.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM

10,592 posts, read 18,959,658 times
What's it motto going to be? The Welfare State?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,977,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mung Beans View Post
I don't see why Puerto Rico shouldn't and I generally am an expansionist, so definitely for statehood for PR.
Which other areas of the world should we try expanding into, in your honest opinion?

Also, very off-topic, and I apologize for asking this, but are you the legendary General Mung Beans from AH.com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.