Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I believe Argentina had a lot higher proportion of Italian immigrants from the central and northern portions of Italy while the US was predominantly southern. And until really recent times, Italian-Argentines were generally slimmer and more attractive than their American counterparts though in the past several years they've been catching up.
Differences between Northern and Southern Italians is vastly overrated on internet tabloids. Most North Italians dont look much different than your average south Italian, afterall both regions are perfectly part of southern europe, and Its not the weird fantasy that someone have to read over and over on internet about northern italians being danes and southern italians being iraki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Differences between Northern and Southern Italians is vastly overrated on internet tabloids. Most North Italians dont look much different than your average south Italian, afterall both regions are perfectly part of southern europe, and Its not the weird fantasy that someone have to read over and over on internet about northern italians being danes and southern italians being iraki.
I think even today, Northern Italians look down upon those from the South. Dad told me my immigrant grandfather used to speak in a derogatory fashion about southern Italy.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
The newly elected Pope was born in Argentina to Italian parents.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Isn't it Sicilians who tend to be significantly darker or different than other parts of Italy?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think even today, Northern Italians look down upon those from the South. Dad told me my immigrant grandfather used to speak in a derogatory fashion about southern Italy.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Isn't it Sicilians who tend to be significantly darker or different than other parts of Italy?
There's a pecking order: Northern Italians looked down on Southern Italians and the Southern Italians looked down on Sicilians.

Back in the late 1940s when my parents married, my Italians aunts were happy that their brother married a Polish girl rather than a Sicilian one like another brother had done.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Exaggerated, all those areas pretty much fall within the diversity of southern europe, Its not like northern italians look like people in southern germany or sicilians look like the lebanese.

And FYI sicilians had some pockets of normans back in the time, light featured sicilians arent that extremely rare.

Its the french people who are actually the very diverse ones, italy looks homogeneous in comparison.

students from veneto:

http://www.oggitreviso.it/sites/defa...les/stud_0.jpg

http://www.giancarloscotta.it/wp-con.../05/cosmo1.jpg

http://treviso24.tv/wp-content/uploa...1/studenti.jpg

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM

[Mod cut: orphaned]

Argentinean italian migration is mixed, from all areas, north, south, central areas. AMerican italian migration was overwhelmingly from the south, specially sicilian. SO Its not SOuth vs north but rather, italian migration from all parts vs sicilian migration.

Last edited by elnina; 08-31-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Default Italian influence in Argentina-

I think I can answer this question without guessing anything. I am one of the millions of Argentineans with an Italian last name and I live in the US so I can compare both. Anyway, l will say that the influence was much higher in Argentina because of the higher percentage of immigrants from this part of the world. I noticed most Italian-Americans chose English first names most of the time. In Argentina, while many have Spanish first names, I also met many Argentineans who still choose Italian first names such as Antonella ( my name) Valentina, Francesca, Mauricio, Romina, Florencia, Bruno, Guido etc... We eat Italian food daily, pastas, milanesas, pasta frolla ( we spell it pasta frola) etc...Also, Argentinean Spanish accent was heavily influenced by Italians, as opposed to other Spanish speaking countries, as millions of Italians had to learn Spanish. For example, stress was changed to the end of many words-it is hard to explain typing but I will try! (look for something- Buscalo) the rest of Spanish speaking people in other countries will say "buuscalo" we say " buscaalo" (Let me know- avisame) they say " aviisame" we say "avisaaame" (Hurry up-apurate) they say " apuurate" we argentineans say "apuraaate" . ( Find it! - encuentralo) they say. " encueentralo" , we say "encontraalo") yes, we "deformed" some words. Like that, millions of words. We also use some straight up Italian words or modify Italian words- Gamba ( leg) laburo (from lavoro-work) We may say guarda!! ( be careful) sometimes instead of the spanish cuidado! pillando (to pee pisciando lol) many argentines call their grandma " Nonna" we sometimes call beer- Spanish cerveza- " birra". I learned that our famous "che" was "ce" with the same meaning brought from Italians ( I dont remember the region)-I could give millions of examples- Our body language, how we talk, move hands. A funny detail: We have bidets intalled in our bathrooms lol which is something that happens in Argentina and Uruguay. It is not common in the rest of latin america or the US- I made the assumption everyone used it, until I left Argentina and I was surprised Americans dont have it. and yes! Italians in Argentina had to have them hahaha but I guess Italian- Americans didnt' and many Americans do not even know what it is ( again its about the %) Christmas eve is big for us etc... I will also mention some Argentineans with Italian ancestry you might have heard of: Messi, Maradona, (soccer) Nocioni, Ginobili, Delfino, Scola, Magnano (NBA) Sabattini ( she was a famous tennis player) Gustavo Cerati ( was a famous Argentinean rock musician) Astor Piazzola ( Argentine tango- musician) Roberto Piazza ( fashion designer) Valeria Mazza ( most succesful model we had) Juan Manuel Fangio (Formula One world champion) and of course Bergoglio (the pope) but the list goes on and on... oh wait how could I forget!! The greatest doctor we ever had -who contributed the most to our society: Rene Favaloro. Our future soon to be president will be one of these 3: Mauricio Macri, Sergio Massa or Daniel Scioli- Florencio Randazzo was another option but he got kicked out by his party lol , all Italian descent-I never heard of American President candidates with Italic names. Of course we also had some a%##! such as Agosti, Massera and the worst of all: Leopoldo Fortunato Galtieri Castelli- responsible for the deaths of thousands of people- In conclusion, we received Italians from all over Italy and of all kinds-

Last edited by Antonella1983; 08-16-2015 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
^^^^^^
Very well written, and cannot agree more. The Italian influence has left a bigger mark in Argentina than in the U.S. Brazil, and where else.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM

209 posts, read 304,179 times
I am Brazilian from German-North Italian descent.

Last edited by Capitalists; 08-16-2015 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas