Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM

284 posts, read 640,959 times

Advertisements

which is more difficult to learn??

which language do you prefer?

which is more beneficial in present time?

is it true the portuguese and the spainards once shared a language?

how come a person who speaks portuguese can understand spanish, but not vice versa ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post

how come a person who speaks portuguese can understand spanish, but not vice versa ?

Good question...

But that's true...

People who speak Portuguese can usually understand Spanish much more easily than people who speak Spanish can understand Portuguese.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:

is it true the portuguese and the spainards once shared a language?

Good question.

I have noticed that a lot about speakers of other languages being able to learn Spanish but Spanish speakers have trouble learning other languages lol.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:31 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
which is more difficult to learn?? Portuguese.

which language do you prefer? Portuguese.

which is more beneficial in present time? Both are beneficial.

is it true the portuguese and the spainards once shared a language? Yes. Started to diverge ~1150 C.E.

how come a person who speaks portuguese can understand spanish, but not vice versa ? Não sei. Talvez os linguistas podem falar sobre isso.

^^^
Answers in bold.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
Quote:
I speak Spanish & have informally studied portuguese,it's very easy read but challenging when spoken:
Both

It depends what part of the world you live in.

Brazilian portuguese, when spoken formally and at a moderate pace , can be very easy to understand. I have been watching documentaries from Brazil & it sounds like Spanish with a very unique accent. I do have trouble following a conversation if the speakers are speaking too fast and are using jargon.

On the other hand, European portuguese is totally more difficult to comprehend at both formal & informal levels, it's more consonant friendly and words that are spelled exactly the same sound so different.

Both languages are great, if you know one you already know so much of the other .
:
Inter-comprehension

Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Spanish is easier than Portuguese. Spanish pronunciation is easier too as every word is pronounced, Portuguese has some silent words like the " e " at the end of a word, it sounds almost silent, well I am talking about Portuguese Portuguese not the Brasilian Portuguese.

Spanish is more beneficial of course. It is second to English.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Both languages are very similar, and have lots of words that are written exactly the same way.

About the question "which is more beneficial in present time", here is a way to think about the subject:

Since people who can speak Portuguese can understand Spanish more easily than people who speak Spanish can understand Portuguese, maybe it could be a good choice for those who don't speak any of the two languages to learn Portuguese first.

Why? Because once you learn Portuguese, it will be very easy to learn Spanish.

And if you speak Portuguese, you do business with Brazil, a giant with 200 million inhabitants and the world's seventh or sixth economy (depending on the year).

Also, you do business with Angola and Mozambique, two of the fastest growing economies in Africa (Spanish language is almost unknown in Africa).

So, if you don't speak any of the two, my advice is: learn Portuguese first, and that will be very helpful when you start to learn Spanish.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
I speak Spanish and can understand Brazilian Portuguese a fair amount if spoken a bit slower.

I am considering taking courses in Portuguese because of the trade with Brazil and the ever growing Brazilian population in Miami.

I think both are important.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM

595 posts, read 719,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Good question.

I have noticed that a lot about speakers of other languages being able to learn Spanish but Spanish speakers have trouble learning other languages lol.
Speakers of other languages, besides italian and portuguese, are able to learn basic spanish. It's almost impossible to find anyone who can have a random conversation without turning it into an attack against the grammar.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Both languages are very similar, and have lots of words that are written exactly the same way.

About the question "which is more beneficial in present time", here is a way to think about the subject:

Since people who can speak Portuguese can understand Spanish more easily than people who speak Spanish can understand Portuguese, maybe it could be a good choice for those who don't speak any of the two languages to learn Portuguese first.

Why? Because once you learn Portuguese, it will be very easy to learn Spanish.

And if you speak Portuguese, you do business with Brazil, a giant with 200 million inhabitants and the world's seventh or sixth economy (depending on the year).

Also, you do business with Angola and Mozambique, two of the fastest growing economies in Africa (Spanish language is almost unknown in Africa).

So, if you don't speak any of the two, my advice is: learn Portuguese first, and that will be very helpful when you start to learn Spanish.
Spanish is spoken and understood and spoken among many African nations. There is Ceuta and Millia in the northern tip of North African Morrocco.

Then there is the Spanish speaking nations and islands belonging to Equitoreal Guinea, which is a Spanish speaking country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas