Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Miss Philippines didn't have a nose job. Not all Filipinos have flat noses. Philippines is a diverse country having people who look Negrito, Malay, Chinese and Spanish. And seriously, I do not see the big deal about her nose, it's not even too tall, just average.
If Philippines wanted a representative with a tall nose, they could have gotten a mestiza but no, they chose one who looked very Filipino.

Didnt say that it was Miss Phillipines, though you know full well that is those with more Spanish heritage who will be selected because of the obvious bias of Miss Universe.

And yes many Filipinas who dont fit a certain semi caucasoid beauty image probably do get eye and nose jobs. This type of contest encourages this behavior.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Me neither. Miss Spain is a beauty.

Miss Venezuela wasn't as striking as certain former delegates or many of the other ladies this year in terms of beauty. But of course, there are other factors considered, and none of them really answered their questions well. So congrats to her.

Yes, T&T has does wonderful job representing our diversity. That's why I always support our delegates. There is hardly an ethnic group that has not been represented - Indian, African, Chinese, Spanish or some mixed of those and other groups. I read somewhere that this year's Miss T&T has Syrian heritage. We've had a white delegate before, but they certainly are not over-represented.

Guyana deserves its due as well. It also sends up Indian, African, Amerindian, Mixed etc, and always natural beauties without all of the artificial work done with a number of other delegates. This year's Miss Universe delegate was a beauty as is the Miss World delegate. The final four at the national pageant were all beautiful and diverse in appearance.

Miss DR was gorgeous! Glad she made it to top 10. And I do agree that a number of Latin American nations could certainly stand to diversify their selection of delegates.

Miss Vietnam was gorgeous as well...wish she had gone further.

T&T has been in the beauty business for a long time so the girls are better trained than the Guyanese are. Hopefully one day Guyana will catch up.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Documentaries have been made about Venezuela's Miss Universe machine. Some of the Latin American countries put the women through intense training.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Could you please stop talking about race? Why does every thread in the "Americas" section has to have some person always bringing up race. STOP.

We bring it up because people like you endorse a Eurocentric vision of life which punishes people who do not fit that mold. If it was a bother to you then you would not be enraged by any discussion about these inequities.

And yes I have been to several Latin American countries so spare me any nonsense that skin color isnt a major factor in determine who fits in where. You crush discussions of this issue so darker people of color in your countries have now fallen behind equivalent peoples elsewhere in the Americas.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Didnt say that it was Miss Phillipines, though you know full well that is those with more Spanish heritage who will be selected because of the obvious bias of Miss Universe.

And yes many Filipinas who dont fit a certain semi caucasoid beauty image probably do get eye and nose jobs. This type of contest encourages this behavior.
Typical looking Filipinos do not really have so much problem with eyes because most Filipinos ( ones who do not have any Chinese ancestry ) do not have small eyes. Eye surgery is not common in the Philippines, it is common in Korea and China.
Actually, PS is not really common in the Philippines because salaries in the Philippines are too small so most people cannot afford Plastic Surgery. For the past 3 years, Philippine represantive for Miss Universe came from poor families so they could not afford Plastic Surgery.
I think the association involved in sending Filipino representatives in the Miss Universe choose girls who look very Filipino. They do not really choose the ones with Caucasoid look because they probably think they have more chance to be noticed if they send someone who look more Filipino and I think it works as Philippines has been runners up for 4 consecutive years already.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM

221 posts, read 379,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Its getting ridiculous

Titleholders per region

22 Latin America
13 Europe
11 English speaking Americas
8 Eastern Asia
4 Africa
3 Oceania (Australia and New Zealand)
2 Western Asia

Why? Now If you have a conspiracy hold it, pretend for example the contest is actually legit,(I myself don't know if its legit or not) why are Latin American women always winning?

I thought since it was in Russia, a woman from Eastern Europe would win since they have the home advantage, but no, again Venezuela won. I cant believe she won. I would have thought Costa Rica, United Kingdom, Switzerland.
I know, right? I'm Hispanic too. I'm getting sick of seeing us win. I mean, many of the other women could have taken it. I was surprised. Maybe they feel bad because they know that Venezuelans put so much effort into these things. It is getting a little tacky.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,896 times
Beauty is very subjective. What was very interesting, and somewhat peculiar was how many of the contestants did not look very stereotypically ethnic to their nationality. If you looked at China, she looked a bit Caucasian, so did Philippines and Indonesia. Also, look how white India was. She easily could have passed for European.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM

221 posts, read 379,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Beauty is very subjective. What was very interesting, and somewhat peculiar was how many of the contestants did not look very stereotypically ethnic to their nationality. If you looked at China, she looked a bit Caucasian, so did Philippines and Indonesia. Also, look how white India was. She easily could have passed for European.
It is funny because I have noticed that it is often the most Caucasian people who truly appreciate ethnic looking people...like completely Asian or African or Indigenous...but maybe I have just had the experience of seeing that places I have lived...I don't know for sure. In general, though, maybe they feel they have to cater somewhat to the judges by presenting people who look kind of Caucasian?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Philippines looked very Filipina.
What and how do you expect Philippines to look? She's even dark like a regular Filipina.

This is Miss Philippines Universe

Compare to our representative for Miss World who was really crowned Miss World 2013

Miss Philippines Universe 1994

If they wanted a Meztisa to represent Philippines in the Miss Universe, they could have chosen this girl below, this a how a mestiza Filipina look like and not like the one who represented Philippines in the Miss Universe 2013

So I don't understand why you said Philippines didn't look like a Filipina. You expect her to look Negrita ? Philippines is a hispanic country so it is normal that people can sometimes look a little hispanic.
Nicole Sherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls is a Filipina and though she has a foreign surname, she looks Filipina.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-19-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times
Hermosa apparently it is a bit of a myth about the Philippines having much Spanish ancestry. Any genetic studies done in the Philippines seems to bear this out as well. The vast majority of people in the Philippines have no Spanish ancestry.

Here is a post from the Filipino Genealogy Project.

Filipino Genealogy Project: Claveria and the Myth of the Spanish Ancestors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas