U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM

8,461 posts, read 7,465,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

One thing that I have been noticing for quite a few years is that the level of racial resentment depends on how each society was treated, from a racial point of view, during their colonial years. There is definitely more resentment in societies that emerged from the British/French/etc empires than those from the Spanish or the Portuguese. There are exceptions in each group of countries, but the overall tendency goes along those lines. And there is nothing wrong in this respect, considering that each society is a product of its history, but people need to stop wanting to impose their views unto others. These views are often more appropriate for their society given their colonial history than for other societies where things developed differently.

I note your continued need to portray Latin America as this mestizo space, in order to deflect any discussion of blacks and darker mulattos. Well all of Latin America isn't Mexico or Peru. There are actually more blacks and mulattos in the Americas who speak Spanish or Portuguese than who speak English.

Even if we take the lower estimate of the Afro descendant population of 10%, means that there are almost 5 million of these people in Colombia. ONE Latin American country has as many blacks and mulattos as the ENTIRE English speaking Caribbean.

We don't know what the black and mulatto population in Brazil is (its not the 50% statistic that is given). Even if its only that's still 50 million people, more than the 42 million in the USA.

The USA in 2014 gives more opportunity for upward socio economic for blacks than does most of Latin America with the POSSIBLE exception of the almost 90% black/mulatto DR. Its really sad that you must go all the way back into ancient history to make a case that it is "less" racist. Yet you refuse to discuss what is happening in 2014.

And like many Latins you are so out of it with your archaic rules that you think that we should be flattered by the fact that you guys have been more "tolerant" in transforming blacks into whites. In other words in your eyes being white is better than being black, so you think that I, as a black man, should prefer the society which makes it easier to escape being black. If I tell you that I love being black you then invent nonsense about greater racial resentment, because why else would some one want to remain black, when they can begin the long road to being white.

Tell you what. This is 2014. Being white is no better than being black, and if some one is proud to be black then they have as much right to self define who they are as any one else.

The USA allows more space for this, while achieving upward mobility.

Now run along and disclose all the high profile people in Brazil, who look like Oprah and Denzil and Will Smith and Beyoncé, who do more than sing, dance, or kick footballs. Black Brazilians claim that few of these exist, and I will prefer to listen to them than to you.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM

24,944 posts, read 22,564,754 times
I was just watching a video on black people's image in Brazil, don't know if one can watch it outside Portugal, though. Needless to say it is in Portuguese...
"Cresci ouvindo: negro não presta" - PÚBLICO

Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM

3,630 posts, read 7,820,592 times
Here's an interesting article on how Argentina eliminated Africans/blacks from their history
Blackout: How Argentina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.