Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 PM

485 posts, read 2,250,105 times

Advertisements

That's why you should've read on that before you made that statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,329,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Makes sense to me, I had no idea Panama used to be part of Gran Colombia and that the Central American nations were part of the United States of Mexico!! Good to know
Panama was actually part of Colombia specifically. It was part of New Grenada and Colombia until 1903/1904 and officially until 1921/1922 when it was legally recognized by Colombia.

The USA stole Panama from the Colombians. Panama being a nation was a concept developed by the French and U.S. Government from Wall Street and they bribed and paid elite Colombians that were members of the Colombian conservative party to be listed as heads of state and head the government. Plus with the Panama Canal treaties and Panama Canal zone treaties no Panamanian or Colombian ever signed the treaties. It was all scam and plan and scheme for profit and to build a canal!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Yeah that could be reason and also because Panama slighty has a better human development index and a slightly gdp per capita than Mexico.

I notice that smaller countries either are more developed than larger countries because they are able to organize themselves and therefore become more efficient OR be less developed than larger countries because they lack resources and a crime organization can really become a threat to the smaller country. Panama and Uruguay being the former example and Honduras and El Salvador being the latter example.

But i dont see how can Central Americans and Mexico benefit. The only ones that would benefit are the cartels because there would be less barriers through the drug supply lines from Colombia to Mexico
Also Panama has a canal which is very important.

Nicaragua is in plans to have a Canal built by a Chinese company so that might revive interest or help out financially or economically for Nicaragua once it gets full control over it's canal if the Nicaragua Canal goes through.

Costa Rica tends to differentiate or sepetate itself from other Central American nations since they have usually been more stable than the other republics.

Belize is not historically related to the other Central American nations due to it being an English speaking nation.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
that's why you should've read on that before you made that statement
+1

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

485 posts, read 2,250,105 times
However I think Missnative at least admited she didn't know Much of Central America was part of Mexico and Panama was part of Colombia. Also she did research it afterwards. I'll give her that

Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
however i think missnative at least admited she didn't know much of central america was part of mexico and panama was part of colombia. Also she did research it afterwards. I'll give her that
+1

Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
I think we will see more economic integration between Mexico and Central America in the future . But right now Mexico is focused on the bigger economies in the region. The "alianza del pacifico" is an economic alliance between Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico. They have aleady eliminated vise requirements between these countries, tourism has increased and so has trade. The Next to join are Panama and Costa Rica. And I read somewhere Guatemala wants to join.

I realize that Central America and Mexico have historical and cultural ties (specially Mexico and Guatemala) But I can't really see Central America becoming part of Mexico. Alot of Mexicans really dislike Central Americans.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 11-29-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM

346 posts, read 648,732 times
The Central American nations are all quite different. Costa Rica is fairly prosperous and has very distinct civic traditions (no army, which alone puts it at odds with Mexico, which is becoming very militarized). Perhaps there may be some advantage for the other nations to join Mexico, but so far, they have demonstrated little willingness to unite into a confederation.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I think we will see more economic integration between Mexico and Central America in the future . But right now Mexico is focused on the bigger economies in the region. The "alianza del pacifico" is an economic alliance between Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico. They have aleady eliminated vise requirements between these countries, tourism has increased and so has trade. The Next to join are Panama and Costa Rica. And I read somewhere Guatemala wants to join.

I realize that Central America and Mexico have historical and cultural ties (specially Mexico and Guatemala) But I can't really see Central America becoming part of Mexico. Alot of Mexicans really dislike Central Americans.
Panama wants to join the Pacific Alliance but Colombia is preventing them from joining. Panama is an observer in the alliance though however.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
Why is Colombia preventing them form joining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas