Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times

Advertisements

To determine the root reasons of why Argentina has declined so much since the early 1900s, was it basically that Argentina (with a political and legal system based ultimately on that of the Spanish and an army trained by the Prussians), as a major settler country, was "trying" to imitate major anglophone settler countries like the US, Canada, or Australia and yet it was stuck in its "Latin American" self (not meaning to be racist whatsoever) in terms of the slow integration of the immigrants and consequent labour unrest, as well as the adverse reactions of the conservatives, and thus it's backfired on Argentina ever since (with Peronism aggravating these problems in the long run)?

The thing is that other Latin American countries, like Chile, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Guatemala, and Mexico, didn't get as many European immigrants or quite as much British capital, didn't enact progressive universal suffrage laws quite as early, and all had Prussian-trained armies and Iberian-style political/legal systems; and they haven't had heartbreaking declines the way that Argentina has had. To summarize, is it that a) Argentina (along with Uruguay) received a huge influx of impoverished European immigrants who weren't on the whole as quickly integrated as their counterparts in the US, Canada, etc., leading to much labour unrest, among other things, b) the enaction of the Sáenz Peña Law in 1912 for native-born, male citizens which was progressive for Latin America but not as progressive as that law's developed-world counterparts, and c) the presence of a Prussian-trained army - plus the reaction of the traditional conservative elite (during the Great Depression - with the 1930 coup) towards these developments, that has made Argentina different from other Latin American countries in that regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
D) argentina's absurd monetary policies. their monetary policy is, and has been, completely batsh&t insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Currency_Board

As to why argentine politics produce such stupid economic policies .. i'm not sure. I do recall reading , once, the results of a study that measured "collectivist vs. individualist" attitudes per country. (I would post it if i could find it again) South America has the most collectivist populations in the world, while the high performers (US, Can, NZ, Aus, Netherlands) all have the most individualist.

Last edited by le roi; 12-19-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
....... To summarize, is it that a) Argentina (along with Uruguay) received a huge influx of impoverished European immigrants who weren't on the whole as quickly integrated as their counterparts in the US, Canada, etc.,.........
And yet, Uruguay has thrived. So, maybe the immigration is not it.

Argentinians seem to thrive on drama and they have a rather unfortunate habit of electing dramatic and crooked politicians. If the show is colorful, that's what they want. Circuses all the way.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not saying that the immigration is everything. And Uruguay has indeed had a less corrupt political culture than Argentina, but its economy has been held hostage by the vicissitudes of the Argentine economy and political crises (and the Uruguayan economy, too, is not as developed as those in First World countries), and Uruguay itself did have a repressive dictatorship from 1973 to 1984.

Quote:
Argentinians seem to thrive on drama and they have a rather unfortunate habit of electing dramatic and crooked politicians. If the show is colorful, that's what they want. Circuses all the way.
I'm just wondering, have Argentines thrived on drama in that regard more than many other Latin Americans? If so, why?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
As to why argentine politics produce such stupid economic policies .. i'm not sure. I do recall reading , once, the results of a study that measured "collectivist vs. individualist" attitudes per country. (I would post it if i could find it again) South America has the most collectivist populations in the world, while the high performers (US, Can, NZ, Aus, Netherlands) all have the most individualist.
But you can't say necessarily that Argentina has a more collectivist population than other Latin American countries? And were you referring to one or more studies on collectivist vs. individualist countries conducted by Hofstede and similar researchers?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
To determine the root reasons of why Argentina has declined so much since the early 1900s

Quick question: did Argentina really decline since the early 1900's, or it just didn't improve as much as the "First World" countries did?

Argentina's population today is much greater than it was in 1920, yet it has greater per capita income than it had in 1920.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
But you can't say necessarily that Argentina has a more collectivist population than other Latin American countries?
indeed, you can't necessarily say that. i'm not sure what makes argentina's politics so odd. i guess it could be worse (looking at you, venezuela)

Quote:
And were you referring to one or more studies on collectivist vs. individualist countries conducted by Hofstede and similar researchers?
yes, that's him. worked for IBM.

http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/facul...e%20scores.htm

http://geert-hofstede.com/argentina.html

Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Quick question: did Argentina really decline since the early 1900's, or it just didn't improve as much as the "First World" countries did?

Argentina's population today is much greater than it was in 1920, yet it has greater per capita income than it had in 1920.
Didn't improve nearly as much as the First World countries.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:

What you are describing reminds me somewhat of politics in Louisiana(the part about circuses and a colorful show).

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
Disastrous monetary policies, Latin American Debt Crisis in the 80s, unhealthy focus on agriculture, the decline of the British Empire (which was Argentina's largest investor to the point many people considered it a defacto colony) after WWI, and unstable governments all contributed to Argentina's economic decline. To be fair to Argentina, the rest of Latin America isn't any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas