Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,801,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Did you not see what I posted? Mexico City is a big city but there is still a lot more to Mexico than Mexico City. In countries like Argentina and Chile, more than 80% live in Santiago or Buenos Aires. In Mexico, you could add the populations of Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey and Even Puebla and not even make half of Mexico's population. Mexico has many nice places other than the DF or it's suburbs. There's Monterrey, Puebla, even parts of Guadalajara (mainly zapopan and some suburbs). There are also mid sized cities with a high HDI that are clean. There's Queretaro, Guanajuato, Leon, Chihuahua, Los Mochis. Los Mochis is a town in the state of Sinaloa that has a higher HDI than the UK. Chihuahua city is over .90 . there's some places in the southeast and in the Baja California peninsula that are nice and have a high quality of life. I really liked how clean and nice Queretaro city was. Guanajuato City and Leon are also very nice and clean, somewhat haha. They are both modern and traditional towns. Mexico is changing and improving in its economy. It's going pretty slow but it's improving. Don't let the news fool you, A lot of parts of Mexico are really dangerous but it's economic matters are another story

I'm sure you are right, and there are many nice and developed places in Mexico. AND SO THERE ARE IN BRAZIL. Places like Araraquara or Uberlândia, for example.

But when I look at the title of the thread, I really can't understand what your post has to do with the title of the thread...

Why Mexico is "more beloved" in the world than Chile? There is little doubt it is, but the question is WHY?

Your post is not helping very much to solve this "mystery".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,478 times
I believe that Mexico, it's probably the most well known and most visited country in Latin America, due to a combination of geographic, historic, economic and demographic factors. However, as to proclaim that it is the most beloved country or one with the best image in the region, I think that title would go to either Costa Rica or Uruguay. I have yet to meet a person -not talking internet- who has a bad image of these two countries. Canada -not being a Latin American nation- is another example of a "beloved" country in the Americas.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Wow. The fact that you aren't even aware of the scope of Chile's influence yet you bash it is giving me second hand embarrassment for you.
I'm not even going to bother responding to anything else you have said, because its beyond clear to me that you have an anti-Mexico agenda.

As for that last part your post that I just quoted, have fun (don't forget to check the dates of the following posts):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25917489-post16.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/26185280-post71.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/31763728-post14.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28992934-post7.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28958332-post4.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/27144969-post11.html

What is that sound when a bubble bursts? Oh yes, PLOP!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm sure you are right, and there are many nice and developed places in Mexico. AND SO THERE ARE IN BRAZIL. Places like Araraquara or Uberlândia, for example.

But when I look at the title of the thread, I really can't understand what your post has to do with the title of the thread...

Why Mexico is "more beloved" in the world than Chile? There is little doubt it is, but the question is WHY?

Your post is not helping very much to solve this "mystery".

LOL

Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,241 times
I don't think Mexico is the most beloved, since it does have alot of dislike from certain people in the United States and Hispanic America, but it is the most well known both because of its size, yes that might be true, but also because of its culture and history. You can't deny that.

In regards to Mexico looking down upon Central America, that is only certain individuals who are very hateful and try to put down others in order to make them feel better about themselves. That happens everywhere all around the world. The reality is the average folk is occupied thinking about himself and his family, minding his own business. I dont hate Central Americans, heck i had a crush on a cute Nicaraguan girl back in middle school.

In regards to Mexico and Brazil, well they are very far away totally opposite from each other in Latin America, one in the north and the other in the south. What they both have in similarity is that they are both huge countries that are booming. I dont think we should compare them.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Thank you for affirming what I have said and the influence is not limited to Latin America. Mexican novelas are quite popular in places that are not even Spanish speaking, such as in many European countries.

The novelas are only one of many Mexican influences that are spread worldwide from Mexican capital. Entire generations all over the Spanish speaking world grew up watching shows such as El Chavo del Ocho. It doesn't matter if a person grew up in Argentina, Peru, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Mexico; you mention Chavo del Ocho and people from all over the place will be able to relate because it too formed part of their childhood.

The point is that Mexico's influence is due to its own accomplishments more than anything else and almost all of it is due to Mexico City.

I have been very surprised how popular Mexican novelas are in other countries! I have met Serbian, Bulgarian, and recently Iraqui people who watch them and know the names of the actors. I had heard of this popularity but did not realize the extent.

El Chavo really is a Latin American gem- I was in Brazil and it is amazing how popular those characters are there. They call him Chaves, haha.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Mexico is really just a wonderful country. It has a magic to it. So many different beautiful areas to it. Old colonial cities, caribbean beaches, pacific beaches, desert, mountains, mariachi, mole, beautiful art. Indigenous cultures So many great places like Oaxaca, Puebla. Guanajuato, Tulum, etc..

There's a lot to like.

From personal experience traveling, I have found that Mexico is definitely well liked and known in many places. For some reason French and Italian people really adore Mexicans! In France I was asked everywhere if I was Mexican and people were very happy to talk to me. I felt this warmth in Brazil and Colombia too.

Now one sour experience I have had was in Costa Rica and with Central American people (with the exception of Guatemalans). They have a very nasty attitude towards Mexico and Mexicans. I didn't know about this, but I spent a month in Costa Rica and was perplexed at the attitude some people gave me when I spoke. Once they heard my accent, they would ask me if I was Mexican and they would change their attitude towards me.

I also experienced it with Salvadorean & Honduran people. I don't understand this disdain or hatred for someone because of their culture/origin. I treat everyone as an individual and I am interested in learning about all people and cultures. Frankly, I found it distasteful and childish. I have spoken to other Mexicans who have traveled to Costa Rica and they have experienced the same, so it is not just my imagination.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM

546 posts, read 818,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How does Central America scare people more than Mexico? I have never heard of any central American cartels. And most of the cartels that operate in Central America are Mexican.
Honduras is unfortuantely awash in serious violent crime these days. I know a guy married to a Honduran woman. He won't even travel there anymore to see his wife's family (nor does she). hopefully, they will get it turned around.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM

546 posts, read 818,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Central American countries excluded, with the exception of Costa Rica and Panama
How are you measuring that Mexico is the most "beloved" Spanish speaking country in the world? A pulic poll, travel stats,?

I am not sure your general assertion is even true. Granted, I do LIKE Mexico but I live in the USA so it is easy to get there. But I love all of South America just a much.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Mexican culture is very well known throughout Latin America. Entertainers like Cantinflas, Pedro Infante, Javier Solis, Luis Miguel, etc, etc are well known throughout Latin America. In the U.S. they are the dominant culture shown on Spanish speaking television channels like Univision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas