Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No one here is saying you must praise whites, LOL and I don't see any Latinos on the African forum bothering them LOL.

By the way, there is more to Latin America then Brazil. There was a black guy on here a few months ago saying black men are treated better in Brazil and he wanted to go there to find a good wife.

Black men from the USA arriving with HUGE amounts of cash, and the promise of a green card looking for a docile wife....why didn't you add that part?

Some one just today wondered why we don't elevate our European heritage. All 20% of it.

Latins have had lots to say on this forum about race in the USA and about the self identification of blacks. If you cant accept criticism then don't dish it out. Unlike what is the case in much of Latin America blacks from the USA and the Anglophone Caribbean aren't afraid to tell you where to get off.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And this clown says that blacks in Latin America are better off yet MORE of them kill each other off in the favelas than in any black ghetto in the USA.

In the USA we have Obama and Oprah. Where are those people in Brazil? 30% of blacks in the USA out earn whites. In Latin America..........% of blacks out earn whites? Bet its not 30%.

So stop looking ridiculous by posting crime when its way worse in Latin America.
lol You are avoiding the issue of black on black violence in America, I never said blacks were better off in Latin America. But, the united states is one of the richest and most developed countries on earth, obviously blacks would be better of financially, atleast I would hope. But if they are so much better off what about that violence? I don't see blacks here in Canada or in Europe killing each other in record numbers.

By the way not everyone in the favelas are black there are alot of whites, mullatos and mestizos across most favelas in Latin America. Minorites aren't stuffed into housing projects that turn into breeding grounds for drugs and crime, in the richest country on earth! Just imagine wow.......

Quote:
Latins have had lots to say on this forum about race in the USA and about the self identification of blacks. If you cant accept criticism then don't dish it out. Unlike what is the case in much of Latin America blacks from the USA and the Anglophone Caribbean aren't afraid to tell you where to get off.
Actually, I was responding to your rude/racist remarks. I never criticized anyone on the African forum.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Illinois, the land were Oprah and Obama rose to power.....In the most powerful nation on earth.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
lol You are avoiding the issue of black on black violence in America, I never said blacks were better off in Latin America. But, the united states is one of the richest and most developed countries on earth, obviously blacks would be better of financially, atleast I would hope. But if they are so much better off what about that violence? I don't see blacks here in Canada or in Europe killing each other in record numbers.

By the way not everyone in the favelas are black there are alot of whites, mullatos and mestizos across most favelas in Latin America. Minorites aren't stuffed into housing projects that turn into breeding grounds for drugs and crime, in the richest country on earth! Just imagine wow.......

Actually, I was responding to your rude/racist remarks. I never criticized anyone on the African forum.

What racist comments did I make? The fact that Latin Americans are hypocritical when it comes to race and should stop chastising the USA for its legacy of racism, which it has done a much better job of resolving? Or is it something that you just don't want to deal with. Yes I know that some Latin Americans hold dearly to the extreme legacy of racism in the USA, as if to prove to themselves that there is at least one area where they can look down on the USA. That argument was valid in 1955, but not in 2014.

Now I can call you racist by suggesting that gun violence in the ghetto is the only significant way to portray African Americans, or the implication that most engage in this behavior.

The favelas are a perfect breeding ground for crime way more violent than in the USA, and then there are the corrupt police, with even judges being killed. Vigilantes. Drug barons controlling whole swathes of the cities, and even intimidating judges.

And the vast majority of people who live in those places aren't white. Certainly very different in appearance from those who live in the more affluent parts of Rio. Please don't slide down that slippery slope of comparing crime and the legal/judiciary in the USA with many parts of Latin America. And please don't fool yourself that the racial/ethnic/skin color demographics of the wealthy neighborhoods in Rio mirror those of the favelas.

Black violence in inner city neighborhoods is a problem in Europe and Canada as well. Less dramatic because those societies are less violent than the USA. A discussion on police/ethnic minority relations in London, Paris and Toronto would enlighten you.

If you wish to discuss gun violence in the USA and the ability for any one to buy a gun and ammunition almost as easily as they can a loaf of bread start another thread. I have loads to say on that topic.

You however refuse to debate the issue about racism in Latin America and its adverse impact on blacks. I mean if there is LESS racism in Latin American blacks would be better off relative to whites than they would be in the USA. Clearly NOT the case. And you did state that there was less racism in Latin America.

Now I can counter your argument by showing black wealth in the USA but I am not going to do that. Curious though. Any investment banks or financial services headed by a black man, as American Express is, or as Citicorp and Merrill Lynch were? As racist as the USA certainly is sizeable numbers of blacks have made it through to the upper middle class. With some even into the elite.

When Oprah Winfrey talks people listen. So where is the Latin American Oprah? She grew up poor in the Jim Crow South in case you didn't know.

Last edited by caribny; 01-30-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Illinois, the land were Oprah and Obama rose to power.....In the most powerful nation on earth.

New Documentary 'RAÇA' ('RACE') Will Tackle Racial Inequality In Brazil (Trailer, Opens May 17) | Shadow and Act

Black Brazilians call you a blatant liar and seek to adopt strategies that black Americans used to improve their socio economic status.
BLACKS ATTACKED IN COLOMBIA: RACISM IN LATIN AMERI

http://www.wola.org/commentary/racism_violence_continue_for_afro_colombians

Oh yes in Latin America. The part of the world where blacks are so "loved". This isn't 1965 either.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would think the country that has the largest black population, panama? i guess the burning question is if everyone is black do you have a racism problem?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM

284 posts, read 640,959 times
urbanluis has no argument. are you really trying to compare crime rate in america to slums in south america LMAAAOOOOOOOO!
and yes a person of color has a better chance of becoming educated and successful in america than anywhere else imo. and yes there will always be some sort of racism in this country thats what it was built on. however unlike the other black people in the world, blacks in america have a voice and arent afraid to call out unjust behavior from the supposed superior race.
this is exactly what im talking about, all these immigrants coming into this country with their backwards ignorant racist mentality, this is not your homeland. so if you wanna feel superior to another race id suggest you go back to where you come from!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What racist comments did I make? The fact that Latin Americans are hypocritical when it comes to race and should stop chastising the USA for its legacy of racism, which it has done a much better job of resolving? Or is it something that you just don't want to deal with. Yes I know that some Latin Americans hold dearly to the extreme legacy of racism in the USA, as if to prove to themselves that there is at least one area where they can look down on the USA. That argument was valid in 1955, but not in 2014.
Why would you ask a Latino to stop chasting the USA when you are doing the same thing to Latin America. No one holds the American legacy of racism dearly, thats just crazy talk. And you really need to stop making blanket statements about Latinos. Thats the real issue here, you come across like a racist red neck, you seem unreasonable and inflexable with your blanket statements of Latinos.

Quote:
Now I can call you racist by suggesting that gun violence in the ghetto is the only significant way to portray African Americans, or the implication that most engage in this behavior.
No you can't call me racist, if you actually took time to read properly you would see Im not racist. And I don't think gun violence is the only way to portray African Americans. My point is that things are not at all that good in America as you are trying to make them seem. Why be so hard and rude to Latin America when clearly things aren't all the great for blacks there in the U.S either. I know many black Americans that would agree with me on this.

Quote:
The favelas are a perfect breeding ground for crime way more violent than in the USA, and then there are the corrupt police, with even judges being killed. Vigilantes. Drug barons controlling whole swathes of the cities, and even intimidating judges.
Yup your right, lol Thats sadly how things are in the third world. lol Not first world developed nations.

Quote:
And the vast majority of people who live in those places aren't white. Certainly very different in appearance from those who live in the more affluent parts of Rio. Please don't slide down that slippery slope of comparing crime and the legal/judiciary in the USA with many parts of Latin America. And please don't fool yourself that the racial/ethnic/skin color demographics of the wealthy neighborhoods in Rio mirror those of the favelas.
I never said most of them are white, but you will find whites in extreme poverty in Latin America aswell. And like I said before Brazil is not the only country in Latin America.

Quote:
Black violence in inner city neighborhoods is a problem in Europe and Canada as well. Less dramatic because those societies are less violent than the USA. I discussion on police/ethnic minority relations in London, Paris and Toronto would enlighten you.
I doubt it, I lived in Toronto. its one of the safest big cities in North America. The vast majority of blacks here are immigrants, so theya re chosing to live here.

Quote:
If you wish to discuss gun violence in the USA and the ability for any one to buy a gun and ammunition almost as easily as they can a loaf of bread start another thread. I have loads to say on that topic.
No I don't wish to discuss that.

Quote:
You however refuse to debate the issue about racism in Latin America and its adverse impact on blacks. I mean if there is LESS racism in Latin American blacks would be better off relative to whites than they would be in the USA. Clearly NOT the case. And you did state that there was less racism in Latin America.
I have actually written about racism in Latin America on here and I am very aware of it. I never said Latin America wasn't racist. Anybody that has read my post over the years knows I am very vocal againt racism and I am very critical about racism and classism in Latin America.

Quote:
Now I can counter your argument by showing black wealth in the USA but I am not going to do that. Curious though. Any investment banks or financial services headed by a black man, as American Express is, or as Citicorp and Merrill Lynch were? As racist as the USA certainly is sizeable numbers of blacks have made it through to the upper middle class. With some even into the elite.
OK and? I never said there wasn't wealthy blacks.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 PM

Apparently there is some black americans that agree with me. Listen to the lyrics and watch the video...

Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Why would you ask a Latino to stop chasting the USA when you are doing the same thing to Latin America. No one holds the American legacy of racism dearly, thats just crazy talk. And you really need to stop making blanket statements about Latinos. Thats the real issue here, you come across like a racist red neck, you seem unreasonable and inflexable with your blanket statements of Latinos.

No you can't call me racist, if you actually took time to read properly you would see Im not racist. And I don't think gun violence is the only way to portray African Americans. My point is that things are not at all that good in America as you are trying to make them seem. Why be so hard and rude to Latin America when clearly things aren't all the great for blacks there in the U.S either. I know many black Americans that would agree with me on this.

Yup your right, lol Thats sadly how things are in the third world. lol Not first world developed nations.

I never said most of them are white, but you will find whites in extreme poverty in Latin America aswell. And like I said before Brazil is not the only country in Latin America.

I doubt it, I lived in Toronto. its one of the safest big cities in North America. The vast majority of blacks here are immigrants, so theya re chosing to live here.

No I don't wish to discuss that.

I have actually written about racism in Latin America on here and I am very aware of it. I never said Latin America wasn't racist. Anybody that has read my post over the years knows I am very vocal againt racism and I am very critical about racism and classism in Latin America.

OK and? I never said there wasn't wealthy blacks.
I am a relatively recent poster on this forum. Latin Americans demanding that American blacks define themselves by their 20% European ancestry has been a not infrequent topic scattered throughout this site. My response is in reaction to that. All the scathing comments about the one drop rule and American black hostility and race obsession.

It has only declined recently because we aggressively responded raising facts about the low socio economic status of blacks and dark mulattos in Latin America, and the fact that high levels of miscegenation across the various skin color groups was neither here nor there if it wasn't accompanied by high upward mobility.

What is "red neck" about telling people like you that you need to stop your hypocritical attitudes about racism in Latin America. You know full well that red necks have loads to say about Latins and it is normally nothing to do with how they treat blacks. Wonder over to the politics forum for some real red neck attitudes towards Hispanic immigrants.

I am not calling you a racist. I am telling you that by narrowly portraying black America to be gangbangers exposes you to that accusation.

Toronto is safe because guns aren't easily available. Caribbean immigrants to Canada are more educated than your average white Canadian, because Canadian immigration policies are highly selective. You cant migrate there just because your brother sponsors you. They have a point system which reduces the % of immigrants who lack the attributes to succeed, so why compare blacks in Canada with those in the USA.

Despite that there is Jane and Finch. Don't know whether they are Canadian blacks, or the Canadian born offspring of Caribbean immigrants but here they are.

The Real Toronto: Jane n Finch (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

Imagine what would happen if those folks could get guns and ammo while shopping at Walmart, jump in a car and then sell the guns in states like NY where gun laws are tighter. Canada's black population has been either historically very small, or of recent arrival (since 1962). Here they are and they have no Jim Crow to blame.

If you were that vocal about racism in Latin America AGAINST blacks and mulattos, then you should have stated that, rather than pretending that Latin America is less racist than the USA. If your conversation was confined to Indigenous people than you don't make a point because its now PC to admit that Indigenous people have a point. Its the AfroLatins who are not given valid space to protest against racism.

As people here are telling you the USA is racist, but blacks here have organized, and it has become less so over the past 50 years and a large black upper middle class has emerged. I did make reference to the continued existence of an under class. You how ever know full well that remedies to reduce racism will not address those people. They have issues of bad values, poor access to education, and all the ills of poverty in a nation which hates its poor. Gang violence is a problem also among Hispanics, and is growing among poor whites, though that's a secret that people don't want to discuss.

But the reality is that in 1940 poverty among blacks vs. 87%, falling to 20% in 2000, before increasing in the Great Recession to about 28% today. Poverty fell faster among blacks between 1940 and 2000 than it did among the population at large. In 1940 only 12% of those between 25-29 had completed high school, increasing to 88% by 2012. In 1940 only 1.6% of 25-29 y/o had a college degree vs. 23% in 2012. More rapid improvement again, suggesting that not only did blacks improve as educational opportunities improved, but there was a definite improvement in their relative position, much of this arising from the Civil Rights struggles.

Brazil has only just begun to show similar improvement amongst its darker Afro descent populations, much of this due to the agitation of the Black Empowerment movement, which is much maligned for "importing" racism. Credit the examples set by black Americans which showed black Brazilians that their white elite had lied to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas