Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM

45 posts, read 133,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
While I can't specifically speak for Chile, I can say that the lower half of South America (Argentina, Uruguay, and Southern Brazil) tend to be more pro white mainly because those regions were populated with unmixed folks of European (Spanish and Italian) descent. In Argentina and Uruguay for example the European settlers did exactly the same thing to the Indigenous natives that the United States did and therefore to this day 80%-90% percent of the population is very European. And there werent that many black slaves that were brought to that region during slavery times either. And Argentines in particular tend to have an inflated ego, where they feel that they are better than the rest of latin americans since they are typically 100% while European.

The Southern regions of Brazil on the other hand, experiences a huge influx of European immigration during the late 19th and early-mid 20th century. This lead to an unintentional (or intentional) whitening of that portion of the country. Case in point so many German immigrants moved there that the worlds second largest Oktober fest can be found in Santa Caterina, Brazil.

So you may run into cases of white preference in those regions, however I do have black friends who enjoyed travelling there. The caveat being more of the fact that he was a Black guy in a place where very few exist so general curiosity got him some extra attention both positive and negative.

However, I have read a few articles of Black female travellers in Argentina who repeated claimed that the local men assumed that they must be prostitutes from Northern or Central Brazil, since that is typically where the majority of Black women in Buenos Aires tend to be hailing from for that reason specifically. It similar to being in Barcelona, sure you see black american tourist, but at night, the black population you see on the streets are prostitutes from Africa. I witnessed this first hand.
From what I have read, blacks are stared at constantly and frowned upon in Argentina and Chile. I'm black, btw, and I would not visit either country alone unless I had a real business reason to be there.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:25 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
From what I have read, blacks are stared at constantly and frowned upon in Argentina and Chile. I'm black, btw, and I would not visit either country alone unless I had a real business reason to be there.
Don't know about the frowned upon part, but anywhere black people are not numerous at all people will stare. For most you will probably be the first black person they see out of television, the movies, and magazines/newspapers. In some cases that can be a good thing considering that many women will actually throw themselves at the guy simply because he's black and he's the first black person they have ever seen. Happens a lot in non-touristic parts of Mexico, I wouldn't doubt it happens elsewhere too.

What I am not sure of is if the attractiveness level of the black person influences this. I personally think it does, because even if a person has never seen a black guy in their lives, if the guy is above average in looks that should illicit a different response from the not-so-good-looking types. Also the vibe the person gives can influence this too. Some people give off a 'nice to be around' type of vibe while others give more of a 'don't look at me' type.

Never before seen black + good looking + nice to be around vibe = good situation to be in

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
In southern Spain we got stared at..the guide said they just never seen a black person before...I thought "do they have TVs?"
and that they didn't mean no harm..In one instance, there were a group of Spanish guys hanging out in front of the hotel
I had forgot something and I had to walk thru them to get back in..

So the asked me "where I was from?" I said "America" They looked confused...I said "Michael Jackson" "Muhammad Ali" then
they said "Oh that America!" they had tons of questions and were very friendly wanted to buy my blue-jeans off of me..

The group I was with got concerned and thought they had done something to me since i took long to come back...

At first, people kept asking me what part of Algeria I was from..they assumed at first that I was North African..

As far as Latin America is concerned I have had family members who went there and a child hood friend who is African-American goes to Mexico quite often with his Mexican girlfriend to visit her family with no issues...When blacks were rioting in the 60s some of my relatives went to Mexico and when they found out they were African-Americans they offered to sell them guns! to help with the rioting..

The Columbians I know here in the U.S are very nice to me and talk to me in Spanish for practice..So in short, me or my
family never had an issue with Latin Americans..or Continental Spanish..I helps that I can converse in the language to a degree.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
There was also a cultural issue explained to us about women being out alone vs. women being out with a male friend or relative.
Women out alone got harassed and cat-called...as them being alone it was assumed they were easy pick-ups..

Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
I've been to Mexico numerous times, whether its on the West Coast, Ensenada or Mazatlan, and plenty of times to Playa Del Carmen and Tulum on the Yucatan. I have a great time every time.

I've also been to Puerto Rico. Great time.

I'm going to Medellin, Colombia this friday for a few days. I'll report back on that.
How was Medellin?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
In southern Spain we got stared at..the guide said they just never seen a black person before...I thought "do they have TVs?"
and that they didn't mean no harm..In one instance, there were a group of Spanish guys hanging out in front of the hotel
I had forgot something and I had to walk thru them to get back in..

So the asked me "where I was from?" I said "America" They looked confused...I said "Michael Jackson" "Muhammad Ali" then
they said "Oh that America!" they had tons of questions and were very friendly wanted to buy my blue-jeans off of me..

The group I was with got concerned and thought they had done something to me since i took long to come back...

At first, people kept asking me what part of Algeria I was from..they assumed at first that I was North African..

As far as Latin America is concerned I have had family members who went there and a child hood friend who is African-American goes to Mexico quite often with his Mexican girlfriend to visit her family with no issues...When blacks were rioting in the 60s some of my relatives went to Mexico and when they found out they were African-Americans they offered to sell them guns! to help with the rioting..

The Columbians I know here in the U.S are very nice to me and talk to me in Spanish for practice..So in short, me or my
family never had an issue with Latin Americans..or Continental Spanish..I helps that I can converse in the language to a degree.
I know you didn't mean any ill will but it's Colombians not Columbians. People get sensitive about that. Just giving you a friendly heads up.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-11-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Default the staring is B.S.

The staring is a mixed bag.
Like AntonioR pointed out, sometimes it's favorable ... but for the most part, it's a dehumanizing tool of objectification.

I've been to Mexico in the early 70s, but would not go now.
It's not the same country and from the attitudes I get when I'm around border towns in Texas and Arizona .. WHY would I go there??

BUT ... African Americans are not a monolithic people ... and neither are most people throughout the world.
I think it's more of a person's ... "Personality Type."

We take who we are wherever we go.

I've known educated brothers who went to Russia on NGO missions who caught hell ... and I've seen idiots from the projects put up videos from Russia where they are having a BALL! ((lol))

If I carry a lot of Generational or personal trauma ... or even internalized oppression (Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome), then it's going to color how I see the world and my vibrations are going to attract victim-martyr experiences regardless where I travel.

Likewise .. and I hate to say it... the world has become a LOT more Narcissistic in the last 30 years.
Some cultures are simply more Narcissistic ... macho... than others.
So people I've noticed that the more narcissistic a black person is, the more they're drawn to macho narcissistic people and places. (Not good for insecure people or people who are simply over sensitive.)

There's another theme here ...
And that's the "American" part of African-Americans.
Culturally it's said that, "...Americans spend $4 billion dollars traveling the world in search of someplace where people will love us-- yet we refuse to speak to the neighbor who lives right next door."
(of course this isn't everyone... but be real...)

On the whole, travel really expands a person's scope of the world and of themselves.
But blacks need to know THEIR history before they travel anywhere.
Take for instance Spain.

Western ... "European" slavery started in Spain.
Why?
Europe was in the grip of a mini Ice Age. Food riots where popping up. The Pope created the Inquisition and blamed women for being witches. (The terrorist of the day.) They also burned and tortured anyone who thought differently or could possibly incite insurrection against the Status Quo.

Pope Innocent also called the two good Catholic nations of Portugal and England together and told them to take the good ship Jesus into Africa and do whatever they needed to do to subjugate Africans into slavery because they needed the wealth and they needed something to put the focus on rather than poverty Vs. the greedy aristocracy.

This was huge because when you travel to southern Spain... especially the Iberian Cost, you're witnessing a part of the world that once was African. They may have stared at you because even today, there are rich and wealthy Moorish (black) families remaining on the Iberian Coast because it was Africans and Arabs who brought Europe out of the Dark Ages and established the first universities on the European continent. They were INVITED in and ruled for 700 (some say 900) years. It's why the Mediterranean countries have their olive skin. (Likewise, earlier, we can see trade and interaction created mixed ethnic genes with Ethiopians, some Somalis (ancient Kush), and Northern Africa.

Arabs really put the knife in the back of Africans by starting the sub-Saharan Slave Trade, but Europe, led by Spain and Portugal, made it flourish. (Just ONE of the reason why I feel no black person to spend dime on tourism to an Arab country. We earn over a trillion dollars annually. If Black Americans were a nation, we'd be somewhere between the 10th and 14th wealthiest. In African nations that you visit... you don't get stared at...)

Karma is a bytch and today, poor Portugal gets much needed economic aid from Angola and Spain continues to struggle economically--although far better than Portugal.

Brazil... as we know... more Africans were taken to South America than to North America and even today, it is a deeply racially divided nation when it comes to economics. (not sex) Some people are so anxious for love that we idealize and forget that people are people wherever you go. Ain't no different planet you're traveling to. In Brazil, you're still going to have to learn the language and be viewed by the content of your character. Ain't no "instant love bag" for tricks. A trick is a trick everywhere on earth.

So I believe people should go where they're called.
It may take decades to "cook" the experience and mine what was seen in those "3 weeks in Madrid."

The goal in life is to learn to love oneself so completely (NOT Narcissistically) that the soul opens to The Divine instead of the mind/ego. That's where we can then, "love our neighbor as ourselves."

Otherwise, we're trying to find our way out of the worm hole of "self" ... of "pride" ... lust, jealousy, and the rest of the 7 Deadly Sins.

Go... but study all sides of why you're attracted to a place first.

Last edited by veganwriter; 06-21-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 PM

231 posts, read 462,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
How was Medellin?
Hey tcave, I answered that a few post back, but I had a very positive experience there.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
I visited Mexico as a child. I would not visit today. I heard Costa Rica is nice.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
A lot of "I would not visit Mexico today" posts. Must be all the hype people watch on American news outlets. Thankfully Europeans don't buy it, as they are still visiting in droves and getting to know the best of Mexico, from Cancun/Mayan Riviera, to Oaxaca, Guanajuato and Guadalajara. All the places I named are way safer than New Orleans, and yet it wouldn't stop people from going to Mardi Gras.

Mexico vs US Cities - How Safe Is Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas