Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,114 times

Advertisements

On this forum and the Mexico forum, constant asinine questions about race. "Are Mexicans more indigenous than bla bla" and "Are Mexicans this" and "Is Brazil blacker than.." or "Jamaica and Africa 'cultural traits" ...

If you have started a thread like this... please answer me this: Why are you so obsessed over the racial make up of Latin America and the Caribbean?

Go to the U.S. forum, and there's some threads like that, but nothing like the amount of threads with that racial undertone that exists in the Americas forum or the U.S. forum.

How about this: Why not try and understand Latin American countries for more than just the color of their skin. Don't view as Brazil as a half black country, just view it as Brazil, learn a thing or two about it. Hardly are there ever any threads with REAL substance... just a bunch of demented racial questions that most of us (latin americans) raise our eyebrows to and think to ourselves, "Really?!"

Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Americans are obsessed with race because of its lengthy, complex, and painful history of sociological influence in our society.

Also, I've noticed that within other countries, people tend to separate themselves more along the lines of nationality, whereas in America, where the original nationality of people is the extreme minority nowadays, people accept that people of many different national origins can be "American", and instead divide ourselves more along racial lines. I guess this has to do with underlying ideas about the nation state, colonialism, etc.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Because there is such a large minority of people (almost a majority) who are of a different race than the dominant economic force. Very few countries (and no other economically developed country) have a dominant majority that has anything like Americas 30-40% who are considered to be in an identifiable racial minority. Besides that, no other first-world economic power has a crime rate anywhere near what it is in the USA, and the American majority and media draw a connection between those two undeniable facts.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Why is it that people from DF are so convinced that millions of USA-icans are obsessed with race because they have seen 20 people ask about race on an anonymous forum? Looks bigoted to me, judging an entire nation by what 20 people do.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times
Simply the education we are given as youth & racism is still VERY fresh here... the divide of white vs black/latino is VERY OBVIOUS and on the news daily here. Statistics of prison imbalances and what you see play out on the news is horrendous.... hard to make anyone feel a part of a place where stereotypes are so easily accepted at high levels of authority...

It will end eventually though. Brazil is a beautiful example of what should be IMO.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why is it that people from DF are so convinced that millions of USA-icans are obsessed with race because they have seen 20 people ask about race on an anonymous forum? Looks bigoted to me, judging an entire nation by what 20 people do.
What is an USA-ican?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
United Stateians

Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I think because too many people are too bored, so they look for some kind of drama to fill the void, race is a great topic as people can talk endlessly about it because it requires no real knowledge, you will not see these people talking about global monetary policies or some other topic requiring actual objective knowledge.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Because race is a part of life. Just the way God made it. Oh well.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM

230 posts, read 526,073 times
americans are not any more or less obsessed with race than the rest of the world. It's just that the whole world pays attention to american issues and what's going on in america, so most of the world is very aware of america's problems including it's racial problems. But I've spent some time overseas in other countries, and people in other countries are just as "obsessed" about it as americans are. I wouldn't even mention race when talking to someone, and they would start asking me all these racial questions, stereotyping me, and ask me "what's racism like in the states"? There is tons of racism outside the states, it's not just an american problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.