Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,130,053 times

Advertisements

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quote:
Is a decade of progress in Latin America coming to an end? For some countries, surely. But not necessarily for the entire region. Four nations are developing an initiative that could add new dynamism to Latin America, redraw the economic map of the region, and boost its connections with the rest of the world—especially Asia. It could also offer neighboring countries a pragmatic alternative to the more political groupings dominated by Brazil, Cuba, and Venezuela.
I originally found this at War News Update that linked to The Most Important Alliance You've Never Heard Of - Moisés Naím - The Atlantic

It appears that a lot of our southern neighbors are getting tired of US policy – or lack thereof – and are deciding to cooperate among themselves. And Mexico appears to be leading the way. Good for President Nieto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
I view this move as a positive thing.

In recent years most of the Latin American alliance attempts were pushed by Cuba, Venezeula, Boliva, etc as a means of furthering and spreading their anti-American agenda which leaders like Mexican President Pena Nieto and Chilean President Michelle Bachelet recognize as not a viable option. It wasent about furthering cooperation among Latin American nations ... it was about antagonizing and riling up trouble against the big bad Gringos.

I know many in Latin America are still stuck in the 1950s and 60s Cold War mentality but the United States is the 3rd largest Spanish speaking nation in the world, we ARE the biggest Latin American nation. By mid century we will have more Latin Americans than Mexico and Spain combined ... and wheelchair bound 90 year old Nicholas Maduro will still be babbling about the Yankee imperialists who by then could very well be speaking Spanish as their first language

Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM

9,770 posts, read 14,611,517 times
I doubt Nicolas Maduro will be relevant by that time.

This is Venezuela for the last few days, including today, and its nationwide:

Old 02-18-2014, 02:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
I have been watching news about the Pacific Alliance closely and there is alot of things I really like about this Alliance. They have taken some very important steps to opening up trade and commerce. The Alliance seems alot more concrete then anything ALBA has ever done. I hope more Latin countries join, but they should also be selective about those new countries that join. I wish them the best and I hope they see continued growth and prosperity together.

Costa Rica is officially on its way to becoming a member. I have read Panama and Guatemala are interested in joining as well.

And about Maduro....alot of those leftist countries appear to be sinking ships. I agree with alot of things Chavez said about the social ills in Latin America but I think he went about it the wrong way, and politicians staying in power too long is never a good idea.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 02-18-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
You guys really think Maduro is going to give up this easily? I really wish he would resign and allow a truly free and fair election but tyrannical madmen like him never go easily. Look at the Castro brothers, Daniel Ortega, etc.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
No, I dont think Maduro will go easy, truth is despite all the problems he still has considerable support. But I think the Pacific Alliance, if it is succesful can change things in the area. People will want to be closer to a movement like that. It will be a good influence to the region.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,421,739 times
In Brazil the most educated people are waiting for a derrote of the "workers party" this year and a change from de derroted Mercosul this this new alliance.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 AM

195 posts, read 438,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
In Brazil the most educated people are waiting for a derrote of the "workers party" this year and a change from de derroted Mercosul this this new alliance.
Most educated people?...I'm part of your ''most educated people'' as you call it and I'll vote for PT. Just in case I suggest you to take a look in the polls. Black Blocs is not a political party. Black Blocs will not win the ellections. Sorry.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,421,739 times
An educated person voting for PT?
Very funny joke!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 PM

9,770 posts, read 14,611,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You guys really think Maduro is going to give up this easily? I really wish he would resign and allow a truly free and fair election but tyrannical madmen like him never go easily. Look at the Castro brothers, Daniel Ortega, etc.
Maduro will step down, just not easily.

I don't think the Castro ordeal is even comparable, considering that the Cuban population has never protested like the Venezuelans are protesting right now.

Earlier today in Venezuela (in English):

There are rumors that various government officials are asking for the opposition leader currently under arrest to be executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas