Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,752 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, hope you are all well

My Wife & I are visiting Sao Paulo, Belo & Rio in that order for around 5 days each & wondered if you kind souls have any tips or suggestions for us on things to do, see, eat etc

We are both 50 & are having a 2nd honeymoon if you would (ie) our 1st proper trip away from the kids

We are fairly well travelled, Europe, USA, S Africa, Asia etc but never been to S America before, we're both British ex-pats living in Texas, baring in mind we will have to use public transport or hire a car what recommendations do you have for us please.

Is car hire reasonable or doable seeing we are in huge cities with heavy traffic?

Thanks in advance, peace out xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 AM

3,993 posts, read 6,804,337 times
Hi, I'm Brazilian, and I live in Fortaleza.

I recommend that you rent a car in each of the cities (Rio, Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte). Well, in the case of Sao Paulo you can also use the subway, it's relatively good.

For traveling between the cities, travel by plane or interstate bus (interstate buses are usually very good in Brazil).

When visiting Belo Horizonte, you should search for a day long trip to some of the historical cities in the south of the state of Minas Gerais, like Ouro Preto and Mariana.

Here is an example of a tour that takes 10 hours in one day: TURISMO EM OURO PRETO E TIRADENTES

In Sao Paulo, it's interesting to visit the Ipiranga Museum (Museu do Ipiranga).

And in Rio, you should try going to a place called Lapa one night, and have a nice beer while listening to good samba.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM

85 posts, read 122,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandergirl View Post
Hi everybody, hope you are all well

My Wife & I are visiting Sao Paulo, Belo & Rio in that order for around 5 days each & wondered if you kind souls have any tips or suggestions for us on things to do, see, eat etc

We are both 50 & are having a 2nd honeymoon if you would (ie) our 1st proper trip away from the kids

We are fairly well travelled, Europe, USA, S Africa, Asia etc but never been to S America before, we're both British ex-pats living in Texas, baring in mind we will have to use public transport or hire a car what recommendations do you have for us please.

Is car hire reasonable or doable seeing we are in huge cities with heavy traffic?

Thanks in advance, peace out xx
Hire a car is very reasonable, but I have to tell you guys that you might have problems with street manifestations that will likely occur during the World Cup. So, in my opinion, don't drive in the cities, you might get lost in the middle of the riots, and sinalization in traffic is really poor anywhere in Brazil; go to the matches and other places using public transport. I know it's very easy to get to the stadiums in São Paulo and Rio by the subway.

The road that links São Paulo to Belo Horizonte ("Rodovia Fernão Dias") is very fine, you can hire a car and drive by it, or take a bus. There's support by the concessionary that administrates the road all the road long, and restaurants, hotels, gas stations and mechanical workshops. It won't let down on you. The road that links Belo Horizonte to Rio sucks; you can take a bus, the travel doesn't take long, but don't risk yourselves with a car there. If you can, avoid the airports.

I know that at least in São Paulo during the entire month of June the city will be kind of desert, as a plane to reduce jam (the schools won't work, many people will take their vacations in their jobs, and the goverment offices for sure won't be working...), so probably there will be considerably less bus on the streets (and now it seems that we will face a strike, so I really believe it will be hard to get a bus in São Paulo that don't lead to the stadium). My advice is: stay at a hotel in a neighbourhood where's safe to walk to the nearest subway station. In São Paulo, the "Linha Vermelha" (Red Line) of the subway is the only that have some stations in dangerous places. I don't know if you guys already have a reservation, but if you don't, Pinheiros, Vila Madalena, Vila Mariana and other places near those are OK to stay. Be prepared: it's very, very hard to take a taxi in São Paulo. Believe in me: don't count on taxis. You just can't leave a concert or a football match expecting to find a taxi or manage to call to a taxi company... IT WON'T HAPPEN!!! Delete taxi as an option on your list for this World Cup!

The best thing you can do in São Paulo is to eat. Eat, eat, eat everything you can. Really, try our pizza, our italian food. I don't have idea of how a pizza tastes like in Texas, and I have chills even to imagine... You guys may be travelled, but the italian food in São Paulo is an unique thing. Eat street food, go to bars and eat portions of everything you can eat there. You also can go to a music concert of some brazilian artist.

I don't have idea of what you can do in Belo Horizonte... Are you staying in the city all the time? Small cities around it are lovely. You should take a day (or two, or three!) and drive to the "Serra do Cipó" and have lunch there, if the weather is warm you can swim in waterfalls, there are many there. The nature there is very beautiful. The road is OK, won't take 2 hours to get there. There are historical towns near Belo Horizonte too, you may like architecture from the 17th and 18th centuries, and they have good restaurants of typical food.

Oh, and if you like architecture, Belo Horizonte has a complex designed by Oscar Niemayer, "Pampulha", with a park ("Lagoa da Pampulha"), a crazy-looking church and a museum. If you like museums, you should go to MASP, in São Paulo. It has the greatest collection of brazilian art. If you like football, the Museum of Football in São Paulo will make you cry.

And in Rio, you should go to the beach!

P.S.: To drive in Brazil you will need an international driver's licence translated to Portuguese. You need to take that licence in the US and then translate it here in Brazil. It can take a while... But, to be sure, get information in a brazilian consulate there in the US. Maybe the process can be done in the consulate before travelling, or be agiled due to the World Cup.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 AM

34 posts, read 66,468 times
Sorry I never had chance to reply to you both before now, but thanks for the advise, we found it really helpful and we had a great time during our recent visit, everything was great and not spoilt by the Football ( England supporter ) or lack of it from England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas