Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM

64 posts, read 82,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Insignificant countries (in population and economic size that is) such as Uruguay, Sweden, Switzerland were able to host it without much hassle. Why wouldn't Brasil be able to, being that it is such huge economic power house?
Because of a cultural problem that will be really hard to reverse and, in my opinion, if it wasn't for that, Brazil would be a much better country.

Those problems are:

- thinking that everything will work out by itself in the end, even without any effort.
- lack of punctuality
- lack of planning
- Individual interests way above common interests
- corruption in all spheres
- nobody trusts in each other / people try to take advantage of others often
- the "Brazilian way" of doing things (for those who don't know what that means: The Brazilian way of doing things - The Brazil Business)

Most Brazilians are used to live like that and don't realize how efficient things could be otherwise. It is a shame. I am Brazilian and I only came to realize that when I left brazil for work. I am glad I left behind all those cultural aspects that I don't like! The US culture taught me a lot of good things!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM

3,916 posts, read 6,723,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You must have a PR contract to promote Brazil. There is still ample poverty all over Brazil and your economy is slowing, which isn't good given that much of your new middle class financed their consumption through debt.
Oh yeah, I have a "PR contract"... I'm a user of this Forum for over 3 years now, with posts in several threads, many of them not related to Brazil, and I have a "PR contract"

And no matter what you talk about the Brazilian economy, the hard numbers and the statistics are here to show you are wrong, and in the coming years, the numbers and statistics will still show you are wrong.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
Because of a cultural problem that will be really hard to reverse and, in my opinion, if it wasn't for that, Brazil would be a much better country.

Those problems are:

- thinking that everything will work out by itself in the end, even without any effort.
- lack of punctuality
- lack of planning
- the "Brazilian way" of doing things (for those who don't know what that means: The Brazilian way of doing things - The Brazil Business)

Most Brazilians are used to live like that and don't realize how efficient things could be otherwise. It is a shame. I am Brazilian and I only came to realize that when I left brazil for work. I am glad I left behind all those cultural aspects that I don't like! The US culture taught me a lot of good things!

Oh my dog, how many stereotypes in one post!

Amazing!

Now, tell me, how many stadiums were not complete on time for this World Cup?

Hmmm.... an amazing amount of ZERO!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
2.5 hours is the wait for a taxi in SP Airport. (The main airport of Brazil...). Rio is not different.

But I guess this is not a problem....... the airports are READY to receive a world event. Everything is already a success!

Where is your source to claim that people wait 2.5 hours for a taxi in SP airport?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Oh my dog, how many stereotypes in one post!

Amazing!

Now, tell me, how many stadiums were not complete on time for this World Cup?

Hmmm.... an amazing amount of ZERO!
LOL

It depends what "complete" means to you. For me, a project is only completed when all aspects of the project have been completed and tested. It is not because the field is there, that a stadium is completed.

I call incomplete when there are missing guardrails, unbolted sits, 11.000 temporary sits, not even inspected. Safety Concerns at Brazil Stadium Before Cup Match - ABC News

I call incomplete the fact that there is no cell phone signal in some stadiums. https://sports.yahoo.com/news/brazil...-business.html

I call incomplete "unfinished and empty rooms, electrical rooms and uncompleted executive suites. Exposed wires and unfitted lights hung from ceilings"
"Temporary tented areas just outside the stadium where sponsors will welcome guests, sink units in washrooms were strewn on the floor or leaned drunkenly against each other, awaiting plumbers"
WORLD CUP: All right on the night? World Cup stadium a worry

Let me know if you need more examples.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Where is your source to claim that people wait 2.5 hours for a taxi in SP airport?
Oh man.. I am not lying, I am not trying to make up stuff to denigrate brazil's image. I am just being realistic. There are a lot of things that I like about Brazil, but I am also honest about what I think it is holding the country back.

Here is the source you asked: Brazil before the World Cup: Traffic and tempers | The Economist

Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM

492 posts, read 1,146,672 times
Quote:

Those problems are:

- lack of punctuality
- lack of planning
- the "Brazilian way" of doing things (for those who don't know what that means
:
If that were true, Brasil would be at the level of Bangladesh, Ethiopia, or most of eastern Europe.
The fact of the matter is that Brasil has the world's 7th largest economy; and it's growing faster than some, that are in the top 6.
Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If that were true, Brasil would be at the level of Bangladesh, Ethiopia, or most of eastern Europe.
The fact of the matter is that Brasil has the world's 7th largest economy; and it's growing faster than some, that are in the top 6.
Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, but the money is not well distributed. That makes a lot of difference.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Insignificant countries (in population and economic size that is) such as Uruguay, Sweden, Switzerland were able to host it without much hassle. Why wouldn't Brasil be able to, being that it is such huge economic power house?
Going back to your original question, considering Brazil's 7th largest economy, do you think the World Cup could have been better prepared if organized by a different government? It is also a possibility.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,985,172 times
Anytime a major (sporting) event is hosted by a non-Western European nation (or U.S.A./Australia), the western media will do their best to portray the locals as inept and incapable of handling such a massive undertaking.

Certainly there are struggles, but there's plenty of propaganda in the news reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas