Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Columbus was not named columbus, his name was Colon, Cristobal Colon. If Marty McFly uses his time machine to go back to that era and he is close to Colon and he says out loud Christopher Columbus, Cristobal colon would not know that he is trying to be reached by McFly.

The word Colonization was invented after Colon, Colonized, to colonize, take over a region from its native population.

Americo Vespucio and Cristobal Colon, those were their names.

Vespucci was not his name, Ameriggo was not his name, THEN AMERICA WOULD BE CALLED AMERIGGA.

AMERICA IS A SPANISH WORD.

the usa loves to rewrite history and always changes the names of people and rewrites true events according to its best interests.

the same with Football.

And America is a continent:

America
Europa
Africa
Asia
Etc etc.

American is anyone from the continent.

Estadounidense is how US nationals are called in other countries of this continent. Gringo is also used and Norteamericano, which is North American.

My US passport has USA typed under Nationality, the word American is not typed under nationality.

Embassies overseas are called US embassies.

All federal institutions have US written in front of them, US department of (fill in the blank). American is not used, because American refers to people from the continent.

Organization of American States (Organizacion de Estados Americanos). OAS - Organization of American States: Democracy for peace, security, and development

If you're just going to make stuff up, why bother posting?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If you're just going to make stuff up, why bother posting?
Uh-oh you said that. Now watch what happens.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Uh-oh you said that. Now watch what happens.
Simon Bolivar discovered the United States, but we robbed it from them.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
My US passport has USA typed under Nationality, the word American is not typed under nationality.
My Bulgarian passport says Bulgaria, not Bulgarian because passports use the name of the countries.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:20 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
You STILL didn't answer my questions. Is American then taught as the second largest continent yes or no?
I am not French .

I imagine that they teach Africa as the second largest continent by population as it is pretty much in agreement by different authorities that they have passed a billion, while the Western Hemisphere will not pass one billion for three more years.

But looking up land areas in Wikipedia I would presume that America is 2nd largest by area ( by 1%).
29.5% Asia
20.4% Africa
16.5% North America
12.0% South America

It is possible they teach Gulf of Mexico as an enclosed body of water in the continent, in which case they may teach America as the largest continent by area.

Obviously the definition of continents is subjective. Depending on your definition than the numbers change. There is nothing absolute about what you may have learned in the American educational system.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
However, I also have two written by Europeans.
I think we have already stated clearly that some Europeans treat the Western Hemisphere as two continents, others as one. There was a list of which countries treated the Americas as one continent. The northern European countries tend to follow the two continent theory.

As we said earlier, a text book written in the USA a century ago would be more likely to treat the Americas as one continent.

Gentoo, you seem to keep arguing that you share the majority opinion, of people from the USA, and of the world. You absolutely share the majority opinion. There is no question about it!

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-28-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
The Europas
The Americas
The Asias
The Africas.. lol...

Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I am not French .
When did I say you were?
Quote:
I imagine that they teach Africa as the second largest continent
So you don't know?
Quote:
Africa as the second largest continent by population
You know this is not what's being asked as even another poster touched on America being almost as big as Asia if it were one continent.
Quote:
It is possible they teach Gulf of Mexico as an enclosed body of water
No, the gap between Cuba and Yucatan is to wide to even be a proper straight.
Quote:
There is nothing absolute about what you may have learned in the American educational system.
Most of the world seems to recognize 7 continents so this isn't just an American thing. Oh and; " the American educational system". Surely you meant "United Statian Education system" correct?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I think we have already stated clearly that some Europeans treat the Western Hemisphere as two continents, others as one. There was a list of which countries treated the Americas as one continent. The northern European countries tend to follow the two continent theory.
Fair enough.
Quote:
As we said earlier, a text book written in the USA a century ago would be more likely to treat the Americas as one continent.
Well, until we find such a text book...
Quote:
you seem to keep arguing that you share the majority opinion, of people from the USA, and of the world. You absolutely share the majority opinion. There is no question about it!
I simply said the majority of the world. Why does it have to become personal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas