Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvU2 View Post
Trust me white people are not going anywhere. When backed into a corner there is not a more dangerous race on the planet. Just sayin'.
Not nice to stereotype people based on the color of their skin.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
As usual your posts are on the money.

However, with travel the pure breed humans will become rare (whether Asian, black or white). I guess I envisioned a future where a 100% African or a 100% Asian will be a rarity.

Let us look at societies where there is extensive mixing. The desire is usually to "whiten", so those most favored in the poll will be the lighter ones. Even as the darker ones desperately try to "advance the race".

Once this ideology persists the only darker ones who will be favored will be the more affluent ones.

To quote an Indian woman in Mississippi Masala, when she referred to the character played by Sarita Choudhury. "One can be light and poor, or dark and rich, but one cannot be poor and dark and expect to get married".

So I remain skeptical that there will ever be this nirvana brought about by mixing, once a culture favoring light skin remains in force.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvU2 View Post
Trust me white people are not going anywhere. When backed into a corner there is not a more dangerous race on the planet. Just sayin'.

Actually is suspect that "biological race" will be less important, and culture and style will be the determining factors.

Whites already are only 55% of the school age population in the USA.

White kids are much more exposed to non whites than their parents, even especially their grand parents, so will socialize based on perceived commonalities. I am willing to bet that the Obama girls, in their expensive private school, mix heavily with whites. I am also willing to bet that their sense of style differs little from their friends. They will face little exclusion based on race.

It is the upper middle class black kid growing up in those heavily black suburbs surrounding DC, and having a more defined "black identity" who will more likely face exclusion. And I deliberately focus on this cohort so people can avoid their normal tendency to see blacks as ghetto pathologies, when really in 2013, most aren't. These kids will who the same aspirations as every one else, but will be more routed in an African American or Diasporic black heritage.

The USA will be immigrants, blacks/Latinos who retain strong ethno-racial identities (which I bet the Obama girls don't), and every body else, who will be classified as white, or seen as honorary white (the whole color blind nonsense).

Old 07-12-2014, 10:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I have noticed a new crop of middle-class black young adults...they talk, dress and act just like white kids..They seem to have
Black American cultural amnesia...One young Black American college-age female wrote about in a campus newspaper about
growing up in the suburbs with an all white social network...she continued this social network and went to a frat party where
she was the only black person...Well, the beer was flowing and she got into an argument with a white frat guy, in the argument
he went there and called her the N-word..SHE EMOTIONALLY FELL APART OVER THIS...

This tells me her parents didn't prepare her that there always MIGHT BE ONE who may not like her ethnicity...Then you have
middle-class people like myself with a Cosby Show type background who were raised in Black American Middle-Class culture
and institutions...who was taught to be AWARE...BUT NOT PARANOID about traditional American racial issues..

Maybe it generational, but I don't think ANY black person upper-middle class living in the United States will ever get away
with the honorary white label no matter how "white" they act...at least not everywhere and 24-7..

Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I
Maybe it generational, but I don't think ANY black person upper-middle class living in the United States will ever get away
with the honorary white label no matter how "white" they act...at least not everywhere and 24-7..
It is generational. White people (not every white person) will pick and chose which blacks they feel comfortable with and which they don't. They will like those who are "just like them", and imagine that the others are ghetto. And then you and I will remind them that the Cosby kids aren't ghetto, even though they aren't part of their social group.

Just recently some black person was pontificating that "intelligent and articulate" blacks don't have issues. I am sure his definition is limited to those who over the phone you will be convinced are white (BTW both Oprah and Bill Cosby, and at times even Obama, fail that test).

That girl will be consoled by her white friends and will go back to being honorary white. She will rationalize that the white frat is just a mean bad guy. She has no choice as even the Cosby kid type black will definitely find her odd, much less the kid of the bus driver from Jamaica, NY.

Believe me those blacks who wish to have nothing to do with other blacks aren't lonely. Now you and I might not understand why they do this, and wonder if they don't suffer from stress from living a lie. But the reality is that many of them grew up in the white suburban communities, and for them to try to be like the Cosby kids would be living a lie. They like electronica and rock, not jazz, the blues, or R&B.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Believe me those blacks who wish to have nothing to do with other blacks aren't lonely. Now you and I might not understand why they do this, and wonder if they don't suffer from stress from living a lie. But the reality is that many of them grew up in the white suburban communities, and for them to try to be like the Cosby kids would be living a lie. They like electronica and rock, not jazz, the blues, or R&B.
I totally understand why some Blacks may not want to have anything to do with other Blacks. It is the same reason why I choose not to associate with Brazilian people here in the USA.

My way of looking at the world is totally different from the average Brazilian person I have met here. Perhaps I am more American culturally but I get tired of all the drama and the lack of respect for personal space and privacy.

I have traveled the world, been exposed to many different cultures, soccer doesn't mean jack **** to me and I am a very Conservative person while most Brazilians here are very Liberal and support the Democrat party.

I get tired of listening to their BS, about how everything in Brazil was so much better than here YET they have been living here for 15, 20 years. I supposed it would get old to be around Blacks that talk about racism and White people 24-7

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I had a friend like this girl in college, she was raised in the black working-class section of a small town, her father was a
Pentecostal pastor...off-campus, she lived with two white guys, one was her boyfriend, the other was a gay 3rd roommate..

She was culturally white basically...her boyfriend's father was a preacher too, so they had a lot in common...her thing was
she loved her parents, but she wanted to get away from how she grew up...

The girl DID state in her article that her Baltimore inner-city cousins found her "odd" when the family would visit..

I think what happens is that many blacks who become successful, move and raise their kids in the white suburbs, if
they come from working-class or poor backgrounds,they may have NEVER been exposed to Black Middle Class culture,
in the first place...They may want to protect their kids by not taking about race, so if a racial incident pops up, the kid
does not know how to handle it..and falls apart like the girl in the article did..

I overheard and interesting conversation the other day..2 young women Korean-American were commenting how they NEVER
associate with NATIVE BORN Koreans their age as they find them "odd and goofy" and growing up in the suburbs, most of
their friends were white american and a few blacks...

Old 07-14-2014, 03:42 PM

75 posts, read 107,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I had the notion that racial mixing would end racism. If everyone is a blend then racism becomes moot. But, perhaps you are correct!
well you are wrong it only has the illusion of "racism" free

In Brazil, African immigrants suffer racism and police harassment; experience different treatment than Europeans, Americans and Asians | Black Women of Brazil

Brazilian women don

Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I totally understand why some Blacks may not want to have anything to do with other Blacks. It is the same reason why I choose not to associate with Brazilian people here in the USA.
Most folks like to associate with others of similar socio-economic-educational level. This is true for people of all ethnicities.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM

3,973 posts, read 6,778,986 times
Brazil has at least 100 times LESS racism than the United States of America.

This is a FACT.

Period.

Yes, there is racism in Brazil, but it's 100 times less than in the USA. You like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas