Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times

Advertisements

Hi, so i ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchi (has been a dream of mine since i was little) and now, at 32, ill finally do it. Ill go to Machu Picchu in january with my boyfriend and im too excited!! We plan to do the long, hard, Inca trail (3 nights 4 days hiking, tents, etc), now, before we get old and also visit Lima, Cusco, and stay one night in Aguas Calientes

Im asking to peruvians or people who visited:

what places do u recommend for us in Peru to go?
what do u recommend specifically in lima, cusco, and machu picchu?
Has anyone done de Inca trail? was it too hard? any recommendations? any warnings?
its peru safe?
are lima beaches nice in january?

pd: if you say that january is the rainiest month in machu picchu, we already know that, but its truly the only time of the year we can go since we have vacations from work at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,923,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

I have only been to Lima, so I recommend you visit the capital for a few days. Its colonial core is quite interesting and in recent years they have beautified many parts of it. The Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro is buried in a tomb at the main cathedral, which was built in the 1500's. The other places of interest in the modern part of Lima are in the Miraflores area and a few adjacent neighborhoods.

If you sit on the left window of the airplane (the left while looking towards the pilot's cabin, otherwise it would be the right windows, lol), chances are high that the Peruvian coastline will be visible as the airplane descends into the Lima airport. Be forewarned, you will be shocked first at the desert landscape with not much signs of life and then at the horrible slums on the outskirts. The first time I saw that, I started to wonder if I did a good choice to spend my vacation in Lima. Once in the main areas of the city the fear subsides considerably, but boy oh boy, what a bad first impression! Those are some of the ugliest slums I have seen anywhere and there is no doubt in my mind that the desert landscape is probably the reason why it looks so horrible. Similar slums in greener parts of Latin America don't look as bad.

Quote:
its peru safe?
I didn't felt threatened in Lima at anytime. It is a huge city and as such some precaution is necessary, but I not anymore than when visiting New York or London, IMO.

Quote:
January is their summer (they are on the southern hemisphere), but beaches in Lima are not nice not due to the weather, but mostly because they are of boring looking sand/pebbles and the water is always cold. There's some current that sweeps along South America's coast from Antarctica and cools down the sea and also moderates the weather.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I've been working in Arequipa, Peru for over 1 month. Everyone says that you need to spend at least 1 week in Cusco/Machu Pichu becasue there's more to see there tha Mach Puchu. Other suggestions are Nazca Lines, Colca Canyon, and some time in Lima as that will be the best season for Lima (unlike Cusco). BTW, I have some time off in January and was considering Machu Pichu but was advised that is rainy season as you already know.

I don't think Peru is particularly dangerous as long as you follow the normal precautions. There is a state Dept. evaluation that will probably scare you beyond what the actual threat is but still there are areas they recommend you don't go and I would heed those warnings.

I've heard Lima beaces aren\t particularly nice but the weather should be very good in Janauary.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
Lima's beaches in the tourist area's (Miraflores,Barranco) are surfing beaches and not suitable for swimming IMHO. They are perfectly good for sunworshipping and great for surfing. If you want to go swimming, I would head down to Asia (if you can afford it) or San Bartolo/Punto Hermossa if you can't/ If you only have a day or so at the beach then take a taxi to the beach at La Herradurra in Chorillos. If your a foodie, I would skip the beaches of Lima altogether and watch the Pacific Ocean at a restaurant on the Malecon like Punto Sal!
If you have the time, spend a few days in the Sacred Valley acclimating to the altitude and take your Soroche pills and lot's of water before the Trek.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,469 times
I have heard lot's of good things about the Peruvian/Japanese cousine in Peru.....they say it's REALLY good

Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 PM

125 posts, read 206,131 times
There are lots of Argentinos living and visiting Peru. Peruvians are very fond of Argentinos you should not have much of a culture shock. In Barranco Lima there are tons of bars and restaurants, in Miraflores there lots of pizza places amongst other foods. While in the downtown area don't forget to eat at Cordanos outstanding restaurant.

Cusco is a party place it's open 24/7 great food and drinks everywhere lots of people from everywhere and the scenario has soul and hermandad, so it will be fun. Hiking from cusco to Macchu picchu is challenging, I would hike to ollaytaytambo and then take the train to Macchu Picchu.
Cusco is 3,400 m (over 2 miles above sea level) don't forget to chew lots of coca leaves for the altitude.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
There are lots of Argentinos living and visiting Peru. Peruvians are very fond of Argentinos you should not have much of a culture shock. In Barranco Lima there are tons of bars and restaurants, in Miraflores there lots of pizza places amongst other foods. While in the downtown area don't forget to eat at Cordanos outstanding restaurant.

Cusco is a party place it's open 24/7 great food and drinks everywhere lots of people from everywhere and the scenario has soul and hermandad, so it will be fun. Hiking from cusco to Macchu picchu is challenging, I would hike to ollaytaytambo and then take the train to Macchu Picchu.
Cusco is 3,400 m (over 2 miles above sea level) don't forget to chew lots of coca leaves for the altitude.
Well, I am not argentine, but all the Peruvians think I am when I speak spanish with them on the phone because I speak Argentine spanish. I am american, living in Argentina for over 10 years. My wife and 2 year old are both argentine.
One of my co-workers from the office here is in Cuzco right now with his wife. I also have a friend who is Limeño and Peruvian.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonior View Post
i have only been to lima, so i recommend you visit the capital for a few days. Its colonial core is quite interesting and in recent years they have beautified many parts of it. The spanish conquistador francisco pizarro is buried in a tomb at the main cathedral, which was built in the 1500's. The other places of interest in the modern part of lima are in the miraflores area and a few adjacent neighborhoods.

If you sit on the left window of the airplane (the left while looking towards the pilot's cabin, otherwise it would be the right windows, lol), chances are high that the peruvian coastline will be visible as the airplane descends into the lima airport. Be forewarned, you will be shocked first at the desert landscape with not much signs of life and then at the horrible slums on the outskirts. The first time i saw that, i started to wonder if i did a good choice to spend my vacation in lima. Once in the main areas of the city the fear subsides considerably, but boy oh boy, what a bad first impression! Those are some of the ugliest slums i have seen anywhere and there is no doubt in my mind that the desert landscape is probably the reason why it looks so horrible. Similar slums in greener parts of latin america don't look as bad.

I didn't felt threatened in lima at anytime. It is a huge city and as such some precaution is necessary, but i not anymore than when visiting new york or london, imo.

January is their summer (they are on the southern hemisphere), but beaches in lima are not nice not due to the weather, but mostly because they are of boring looking sand/pebbles and the water is always cold. There's some current that sweeps along south america's coast from antarctica and cools down the sea and also moderates the weather.
¡Good recap!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 AM

17 posts, read 38,203 times
- Machu picchu is famous place in Peru where you want to from your childhood.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Hi, so i ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchi (has been a dream of mine since i was little) and now, at 32, ill finally do it. Ill go to Machu Picchu in january with my boyfriend and im too excited!! We plan to do the long, hard, Inca trail (3 nights 4 days hiking, tents, etc), now, before we get old and also visit Lima, Cusco, and stay one night in Aguas Calientes

Im asking to peruvians or people who visited:

Has anyone done de Inca trail? was it too hard? any recommendations? any warnings?
its peru safe?

pd: if you say that january is the rainiest month in machu picchu, we already know that, but its truly the only time of the year we can go since we have vacations from work at that time.
I spent one month in PERU. I easily spent 3 weeks in Cuzco, without any prior intention to do so whatsoever. There is a ton of things to do in that part of Peru. I would highly recommend that you planned most of your vacation in the cuzco area.

Recommended place. Well, it's very subjective, dependent on what you are interested in. But, for most people MACCHU PICCHU and the CUZCO area is the highlight of the country.

I have been to all 3 - Lima, Cuczo, and Machu Picchu. I'd recommend getting a Lonely Planet guide, so you can match your specific interests up. Lima is the big city, with a ton of big city interests. Machu Picchu is based in the Cuzco area, and there is a ton to do in Cuzco. I'd focus most on that area.

Inca Trail - I did do that. Is it hard to do, is another objective question. I didn't find it too hard, but hiking for 3 days doesn't kill me. But, maybe for others, it would be grueling. It's predominately walking along a ridge, a bit up and down, and often walking along the ridge. It's not like climbing up a mountain or down, if that is what you are curious about.

Is Peru safe? No, it's not safe.

Lima Beaches...I didn't research that, or search them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas