Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Trinidad & Tobago is now the new kid on the block showing its displeasure with massive illegal immigration. Most of the illegal immigrants in Trinidad & Tobago are from Guyana and Jamaica. They apparently have 2 months to present their papers and see if they can regularize their status, after January 2015 all illegals will be subject to automatic deportation. The Trinidadian government will be search for the illegals in house-to-house operations.

Trinidad and Tobago to Launch Massive Deportation Campaign

110,000 illegal immigrants in Trinidad - News - JamaicaObserver.com

Trinidad & Tobago Govt Blames Immigrants for Crime

In 2013 the Jamaican government began to worry about the treatment its citizens face in Trinidad & Tobago to the point of actually issuing a travel warning to its citizens.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
I've heard about this, funny I was also told the Indo-Guyanese immigrants have heightened racial tensions in the Country.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:09 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I've heard about this, funny I was also told the Indo-Guyanese immigrants have heightened racial tensions in the Country.
I was unaware of that, but I think its possible. Guyana is one of the more racially tense countries in this hemisphere, their political parties are even based on ethnic/racial identities. Its only natural that if large numbers of Guyanese move to another country, that they will take some of their cultural habits with them, racial tensions included, and due to their size might begin to influence their new homeland.

Trinidad & Tobago is a very racially diverse country and most of the people there have at least two or more ancestry origins. Increasing racial tensions is never good, but especially in very diverse societies.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I was unaware of that, but I think its possible. Guyana is one of the more racially tense countries in this hemisphere, their political parties are even based on ethnic/racial identities. Its only natural that if large numbers of Guyanese move to another country, that they will take some of their cultural habits with them, racial tensions included, and due to their size might begin to influence their new homeland.

Trinidad & Tobago is a very racially diverse country and most of the people there have at least two or more ancestry origins. Increasing racial tensions is never good, but especially in very diverse societies.
Its only natural that a regional powerhouse would attract immigrants, maybe TT should embrace it?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Its only natural that a regional powerhouse would attract immigrants, maybe TT should embrace it?

Trinidad has high levels of poverty and abundant social problems, so maybe they can't.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
T&T should have control over its borders and immigration, even if it does embrace it. That doesn't include turning a blind eye to illegal immigration. It should be their choice to embrace immigration or not to, not something imposed on them by people entering without going through proper channels.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:10 PM

I meant TnT should embrace legal immigration not illegal...

Old 11-23-2014, 04:41 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
The issue of illegal immigration in T&T has been discussed for sometime now. It seems now that the government is actually taking significant measures to curb it.

Quote:
I meant TnT should embrace legal immigration not illegal...
T&T has long embraced legal immigration. Look at its history. The nation would not be what it is today without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas