Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:23 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That's because ''balcks'' are more likely to be in poverty, poverty = higher crime rates etc.
Except crime rates for poor whites are still much lower. For example, Appalachia is, in many spots, very poor and destitute, and also overwhelmingly white and gun-owning. But Appalachia doesn't have the same problems with crime as majority black areas, even majority black areas in states with stricter gun laws. Guns are clearly not the issue. And poverty is not enough to explain the differences in the black and white crime rates in America.

As for the video posted by the OP, what drivel! I could never understand this kind of thinking that's not only self-hating, but totally wrong. He completely ignores the fact that black-on-white crime, often involving guns, is far more common than white-on-black crime. It's sickening how someone could be so self-hating. But then I guess this is exactly the kind of ideology being pumped into people by the left-wing media and universities.

Last edited by snj90; 11-29-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Eric

I also come from a rural family that owns shotguns, but they have no handguns.
They don't have that strange cult to "weapons" that also existed here 150-350 years ago.
In that sense, Americans live in the past.
When public security appeared under different forms, guns started to disappear.
Plus, experiencing a real war is a great vaccine against that childish gun culture they have in the US. What do you need a gun in your car or 10 guns in your house?
Don't Americans pay enough to cops, national guards, rentacops, etc?
Having experienced a real war, with real war criminals threatening the population because they have the guns, me being able to work in the population because I had a gun and a vest, I really don't think the gun culture, and gun ownership in the US is childish.

Guns are a tool for survival and self defense, there is nothing childish about either function.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 629,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Having experienced a real war, with real war criminals threatening the population because they have the guns, me being able to work in the population because I had a gun and a vest, I really don't think the gun culture, and gun ownership in the US is childish.

Guns are a tool for survival and self defense, there is nothing childish about either function.
wish more people had real life experience like you and could understand reality

Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
... you want to solve the inner city problem we have to completely end the drug war... decriminalizing every last one... but for some reason the global power structure feels the need to regulate drugs... probably because its big money for big pharma....
IMO, you may want to look at Mexico and the significant influence of the drug 'lords' and their 'drug wars', using guns by the way -- and possibly follow the legalized marijuana money here in the US. I'm not sure it will all turn up roses. But sometimes, we have to learn the hard way.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Eric

I also come from a rural family that owns shotguns, but they have no handguns.
They don't have that strange cult to "weapons" that also existed here 150-350 years ago.
In that sense, Americans live in the past.
Ha ha - "strange cult to weapons?" When I got my first apt, um, 40 years ago, as a young female in So California, my dad offered me my choice of one of his several handguns. I chose a revolver. Then, we went shooting/practice and he taught me ALL about the gun - to the point that I feel very confident with it. I know exactly how it works. In my first apt, alone in a large city, I felt like I had an option if I needed it (the police don't quite arrive in time - unless one lives next door!). Thankfully, in 40 years I've never needed to even point the gun at a person - but I've appreciated having the option many, many times. And I appreciate my dad for it as well.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:39 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This is a great map and thanks for sharing. However, low homocide rate is attributed to poverty/police presence and not gun ownership. Japan and Australia prove that point. India is still a developing nation with low gun ownership and low homocide...maybe the exception??

BTW, I am not anti gun, I just think you used the map to erroneously prove a point.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
This is a great map and thanks for sharing. However, low homocide rate is attributed to poverty/police presence and not gun ownership. Japan and Australia prove that point. India is still a developing nation with low gun ownership and low homocide...maybe the exception??

BTW, I am not anti gun, I just think you used the map to erroneously prove a point.
How does Mexico look on the map?

I wonder if gun 'ownership' also includes ILLEGAL gun possession?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That's because ''balcks'' are more likely to be in poverty, poverty = higher crime rates etc.
And why are blacks more likely to be in poverty???? - I'd post the unvarnished, unbridled truth but I'm afraid the PC police and those in denial about the answer would cry and complain demanding I be banned.

Or I could just post "it's all because of the white man" and then I'd be safe & heralded as a oracle.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
do you think many people in the USA have a problem with gun culture in specific white America?
Interesting video blogger claims all the countries problems are caused by white people with guns -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yCt...ature=youtu.be

He looks credible

Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Gun control in the United States was almost unheard of until AFTER the Civil War. From 1865 to around the early years of the 20th Century the only Gun Control laws on the books were written to keep two groups of people from owning guns. Guess what color those gun laws targeted. Maybe Red & Black? Evil WHITE people passed gun control laws. Many are still trying.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas